1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Applying to texas schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Daydreamer2008, May 8, 2007.

1. Daydreamer2008

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm a CA resident debating if I should apply to any of the TMDAS schools, I haven't received my MSAR yet, so wanted to see if anyone thought it was worth a shot.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do you have any connections to Texas?

I am a CA resident and am applying to 3 U. Texas schools (at least I think I am) and Baylor...but only b/c I attended Rice, both sides of my family are from Texas, and my sister attended UT Houston.

If it were not for that, I would leave TMDSAS completely alone

4. afterthought

7+ Year Member

By state law, public med schools in Texas can only accept 10 percent OOS'ers. Also by state law--this one I don't understand--OOS'ers that get a scholarship of $1000 or more can pay in-state tuition. Most schools automatically award OOS'ers at least $1000 so they can take advantage of this.

Baylor can accept more OOS, 30% I think. The scholarship rule doesn't apply, but lots of people buy condos their first year to establish residency and then pay in-state tuition for the last 3.

Maybe some of that info's helpful.

5. sweetcorn

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I moved to Texas last fall to work, and applied to all the TMDSAS schools. I am in the non-resident pool since I have lived here less than a year. I got interviews at 4 schools, received 2 acceptance offers, and was waitlisted at the other 2. I don't know how big a factor my living in Texas was, but I'd say it's worth a shot if you have a competitive application. You can't beat the tuition deal, and its not too expensive to apply to all the schools. I was also impressed at every school I interviewed at. I think I would have been happy at any of them.

6. potato51

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes. Most of the schools here have 200+ class sizes, so while there's a 10% OOS rule, there's still a good number of seats available for non-Texans.

7. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    keep in mind that all those schools have linkage programs at MORE THAN ONE school...so the number of seats available is definitely less than 10% of 200

8. rich4k

rich4k Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm reapplying and considering TX schools. I know about the TMDSAS, but I also saw TX schools available on the new 2008 AMCAS. Can you use both?

9. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You use AMCAS only if you're applying for the MD/PhD program at those schools. If you want to apply only MD, you need to use TMDSAS.

10. YupGypsy

YupGypsy Banne*d for Tr*olling
    10+ Year Member

daydreamer, it's worth it.

Think of the $$$ u'll save