Applying to too little schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Siubking

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I just submited my ASSSAS today (7/26/06), GPA verified the same day because I had my transcripts submitted few weeks ago and I was just waiting for my former boss to edit my personal statement. Taking DAT in August (took MCAT before 11PS 10BS 5VR) my cum GPA is 3.59, Sci GPA 3.64, BCP 3.71. Two years of research during undergrad in insect neurobiology and biochemistry, worked as a tech at Columbia for one year doing mice molecular biology, now at Mount Sinai's Department of Human Genetics. Worked at dental clinic receptionist for one summer, working to get a dentist shadowing experience.
Got a pre-health scholarship last year in college, research award (giving money for my research in undergrad) 2X, Chem TA 2X, Biochem student advisor, IM basketball, band performances at club evenets (5X), community service...

I applied to only 5 schools: NYU, UMDNJ, Columbia, Harvard, Stony Brook

What are my chances at each school? My personal statement states that I am very research oriented, worked at community hospital dental clinic and see the needs of dental care for new immigrants...

PS: Is my GPA too low for harvard?

Members don't see this ad.

:confused: :eek:
Siubking said:
Hi I just submited my ASSSAS today (7/26/06), GPA verified the same day because I had my transcripts submitted few weeks ago and I was just waiting for my former boss to edit my personal statement. Taking DAT in August (took MCAT before 11PS 10BS 5VR) my cum GPA is 3.59, Sci GPA 3.64, BCP 3.71. Two years of research during undergrad in insect neurobiology and biochemistry, worked as a tech at Columbia for one year doing mice molecular biology, now at Mount Sinai's Department of Human Genetics. Worked at dental clinic receptionist for one summer, working to get a dentist shadowing experience.
Got a pre-health scholarship last year in college, research award (giving money for my research in undergrad) 2X, Chem TA 2X, Biochem student advisor, IM basketball, band performances at club evenets (5X), community service...

I applied to only 5 schools: NYU, UMDNJ, Columbia, Harvard, Stony Brook

What are my chances at each school? My personal statement states that I am very research oriented, worked at community hospital dental clinic and see the needs of dental care for new immigrants...

PS: Is my GPA too low for harvard?

I do think your gpa is low for harvard..however, so you submitted your application without your personal statement??
:confused:

Tough break on Harvard - but you might get lucky. It looks like you're focusing on the Northeast - you may want to add Penn. Make sure you fax the unofficial DAT scores to the schools when you ultimately take it, otherwise they may not make it into a mailbox for as long as three weeks. I'd be pretty surprised if you don't get in to one of the non-Harvards on the list - assuming nothing catastrophic happens at the interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
DDSWannaBe2007 said:
:confused: :eek:

I do think your gpa is low for harvard..however, so you submitted your application without your personal statement??
:confused:

I was just waiting for my personal statement for the past 2 weeks, I did have my personal statement when I submitted today.

I'm curious about your AADSAS application...did you indicate that you had taken the MCAT? If so, that will be an interesting conversation in your interviews when they see that you were pre-med, then took the MCAT and did poorly on it before deciding on dentistry. I would think hard about how you are going to explain that so that when the time comes, you won't be caught off guard.

HermeytheElf said:
I'm curious about your AADSAS application...did you indicate that you had taken the MCAT? If so, that will be an interesting conversation in your interviews when they see that you were pre-med, then took the MCAT and did poorly on it before deciding on dentistry. I would think hard about how you are going to explain that so that when the time comes, you won't be caught off guard.
That's a good point... you should be like "what MCAT?!?!". Btw, I'm applying to Harvard with a 3.8 and I'll be fortunate to get an interview with them. To the OP, your MCAT scores rock minus verbal (but verbal is a pain). But who knows??? Strange things have happened, even Harvard says they've let in people with "modest GPAs".

If you are interested in going to school in Boston, don't forget about Tufts and Boston University. They actually a bit more clinic driven than Harvard in my opinion. However, BU has a strong pre-doctoral department as well, but it is all voluntary.

Wow. You sound wickedly qualified. But I'd add way more schools. I think your GPA is too low for Harvard and Stony Brook takes 1 out of state resident unless you're from NY.

You should add Penn, BU, Tufts if you're interested in the northeast.

yeah, definitely add Penn, BU and Tufts. All pretty good schools. I doubt you will get in Harvard though, but it doesn't hurt to try. Your chances depend heavily on your DAT score. Your GPA is good and your extracurriculars seem pretty solid. A 20+ on your DAT should get you in most schools you listed.
Good luck

I only applied to 3 schools. I think it's a waste of time, energy, and money to apply to more schools than you'd be willing to go to if you were accepted.

Good luck.

is NYU easy to get in?