Applying to too many schools a bad thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pistolpete007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do a lot of supplemental applications such as NOVA and UNLV ask what other school are u applying to

im applying to 30...will they look at this as a bad thing like "He's applying to so many schools, i doubt he's gonna come here?"

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm... I never really thought of it that way but you may be on to something.

30? Wow, that is a lot. I thought I was applying to too many but you have me beat by 10. Anyway, they may look at it that way or they may just think you really want to be a dentist and are willing to spend a lot of money to do it. Hope for the latter.

Members don't see this ad :)
nobody knows, people will say one way or the other, but in the end nobody knows how it effects anything. We all hope one way or the other.

They might ask you why. I applied to 14 and was asked why . One adcom told me the average is about 10. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing. Just make sure you've done enough research on your choices and if you can narrow your list, then do.

Be honest. It won't hurt you in an interview if you tell them exactly why you applied to 30 if you can explain your reasoning well. If it hurts you, well, you wouldn't know because the school wouldn't even invite you to interview. The first battle is going through these "what-ifs" (DAT score, GPA, research/volunteer/community service hours, etc.) to get the interview. After that it's another set of what-if's at the interview (what kind of interview, who is the interviewer, what's your competition, how many spots are left, when did you interview).

Why do a lot of supplemental applications such as NOVA and UNLV ask what other school are u applying to

im applying to 30...will they look at this as a bad thing like "He's applying to so many schools, i doubt he's gonna come here?"

Quite the contrary. Adcoms want to make sure that you're not some arrogant pre-dent that thinks they're going to get into the only school they applied to. An adcom for UNC told me this one day when he asked me.