Applying to UCSF and Stanford OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stanford is not a state school and doesn't give preference to CA residents. If there are a disproportionate number of CA residents matriculating at Stanford, it's probably because they're more interested in living in the SF Bay Area compared to someone who is OOS.

I don't think we know exactly what is needed to get accepted to UCSF OOS... if I did I would love it, but sadly I don't.
All I know is that UCSF is the UC with the largest % of OOS ~15%. These students are probably highly competitive applicants is all we can assume.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think we know exactly what is needed to get accepted to UCSF OOS... if I did I would love it, but sadly I don't.
All I know is that UCSF is the UC with the largest % of OOS ~15%. These students are probably highly competitive applicants is all we can assume.

Actually, the dean Wofsy, dean of admissions at UCSF, told us during the interview that they tend to accept about 40% OSS students. Meaning they have only a slight preference for IS students. You'd see that ultimately 20% will matriculate, because its likelier if you are from the east coast, you would like to go to a school there.

Also, UCSF tends to interview less students than similarly highly ranked universities. That is why it you see so many highly qualified applicants that don't even get interviews. For instance, UCSF interviews about 500 people whereas Columbia interviews 1200 people (I believe) for almost the same class size. So getting the interview at UCSF is the hardest part in the process.

Hello everyone,

The published statistics (and often-times unreliable mdapplicants.com) aside, I was hoping to gain some insight regarding what is generally required to gain acceptance to either Stanford or UCSF if you are applying as an out-of-state resident.

Perhaps someone in the 20% of out-of-state students who received an acceptance to UCSF this past application cycle could share their experience? Stanford seems to be a bit more accommodating to out-of-staters, but again, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My advice is, if you think you belong at a Stanford or a UCSF, then you need to apply to as many schools of that caliber as you can. Stanford is really selective, and I didn't get past the secondary with them.

Being UCSF, their applicant pool is the absolute best of the best. If they really wanted to, their class could be comprised entirely of students with 3.9GPAs, 40s on their MCATs, and accolades inconceivable to most applicants.

For UCSF, that's not their aim. Based on my experience during my interview day and knowing some of the students who go there, it's about creating a well-rounded class who come from a variety of backgrounds. Some of their students come from Ivy League schools; some from UCs; some from CSU schools. They're of different ethnicities, religions, social-economic backgrounds. Some of them have children. Some are former engineers. Some of them have been out of school for a long time and are non-traditional students; some are fresh out of undergrad.

If you want to be that OOS student who gets admitted to UCSF, you have to convince them that you enrich their student body through your experience, expertise, and your potential.

My advice is, if you think you belong at a Stanford or a UCSF, then you need to apply to as many schools of that caliber as you can. Stanford is really selective, and I didn't get past the secondary with them.

Being UCSF, their applicant pool is the absolute best of the best. If they really wanted to, their class could be comprised entirely of students with 3.9GPAs, 40s on their MCATs, and accolades inconceivable to most applicants.

For UCSF, that's not their aim. Based on my experience during my interview day and knowing some of the students who go there, it's about creating a well-rounded class who come from a variety of backgrounds. Some of their students come from Ivy League schools; some from UCs; some from CSU schools. They're of different ethnicities, religions, social-economic backgrounds. Some of them have children. Some are former engineers. Some of them have been out of school for a long time and are non-traditional students; some are fresh out of undergrad.

If you want to be that OOS student who gets admitted to UCSF, you have to convince them that you enrich their student body through your experience, expertise, and your potential.
That was an exquisite post. It should be stickied.

If you really want to go simply apply. You never know what could happen. People told me I was crazy applying to the UCs being an OOS (from NY). But I was able to finagle my way into UCSF (and UCLA). So my advice is to go ahead and try. Couldn't hurt and its only $30 for the primary.

During my UCSF interview it was a 50/50 split for instate and OOS applicants. Dean Wofsy said that they while they DO show preference to instaters when they grant secondaries and interviews (a very SLIGHT preference as someone stated above) once you get an interview they no longer show a preference and everyone is on the same playing field. In addition to me, I know one other girl (from the east coast as well) that got into and is attending UCSF.

They really favor applicants who have a story to tell, who are very diverse and bring unique dimensions to the class. They also seem to really like non-trad applicants. I loved that they were not all about stats.. because they really could be if they wanted. Also the reason that they have a low % of OOS students is because a lot of OOS applicants are less likely to matriculate for whatever reason be it geographical, financial (my case) or emotional (support networks).

[deleted]

Last edited: