Applying to Upenn Post-Bac Program, New to the site

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucyinthesky319

Lucyinthesky319
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the site and new to the pursuit of a medical education, so I would like to introduce myself and say hello. Any feedback, comments, or suggestions are welcome.

I am 32 years old and my background is in professional opera. My previous degree programs are in music and opera. I have worked in sales while trying to audition and make a career but, even just keeping afloat in the work force is difficult to say nothing of pursuing a performance career.

I've always been interested in medicine but it has only occurred to me recently in life that I should really go for it and I'm not getting any younger, so I am looking to get into a post-bac program and start getting A's, fast.

My undergrad gpa is a 3.3 and my grad gpa is 3.6. I just applied to Upenn and included what I consider to be compelling and strong essays. I don't mean to hedge all of my bets with one school. If I don't get into Penn, I will apply to Temple's post-bac program and they're not even accepting applications until October. But it sure would be nice to get into Penn, not just because of its status, but because I could start in the fall instead of waiting and waiting for Temple.

I guess what I am really wondering right now is, *if* I am offered an interview at Upenn, what kinds of questions should I expect?

Also, is there anyone out there who decided to go to medical school later on in life who also had no sciences and an artsy/musical background? I would especially love input from you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just an FYI (I'm not sure if you're aware), but you don't have to enroll in a formal post-bacc program when trying to complete the med school pre-reqs: enrolling at a university as a non-degree seeking student and taking the classes alongside traditional undergraduates is also an option. Just thought I'd mention it because this is generally a much cheaper option than the formal programs, and I think we all take on enough debt in med school as it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a quick update. I received an invitation to interview at Upenn this morning. I know there has been been some discussion in posts about the relative ease of getting into post-bac programs, but I certainly am not taking it for granted.

With regard to the previous reply, I certainly wouldn't discount a DIY approach to the prereqs, but I'm hoping a program like Penn's would provide more support than if I were to go out on my own and do it.

So now, my next big hurdle is nailing this interview. How should I prepare? What kinds of questions will they ask?

I know it has been months since your last post, but I am uber curious: did you get in? How did the interview go? I am applying for the summer start date.

Be prepared to be able to prove to every interviewer for the rest of your training career that you are truly interested in medicine and not just someone looking for a relatively stable career option after seeing how difficult it was to make stable pay checks in a bad economy in their first chosen field.

As someone with an art background, most are interested in it and seem to view it as an advantage.

Good luck and hopefully things have gone well for you thus far.