Applying to US MD schools while attending international med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medisforme

Family Medicine resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to ask if there was a blanket policy by AMCAS or if it is a school by school policy: Is one able to apply to US MD schools while attending an international medical school (I am Canadian and accepted to school in Ireland this fall)? I feel I should try another round of applications during my first year overseas (it would be my fifth app cycle) to Canadian and US med schools.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

sorry,
I think you misunderstood my post, I was not referring to transferring into a US MD school, I was inquiring about applying to a US school (ie. starting from 1st year, like any other applicant).

Members don't see this ad :)
That's because applying to enter a different school while already attending one school is, by definition, transferring. My understanding is that if you enroll full-time at medical school X and complete any coursework prior to your enrollment at school Y, you would be subject to the transfer policies outlined above.

The idea of applying as if you're a brand new first year, despite already being a student at another medical school, makes little sense to me. If you truly want to "start from 1st year like any other applicant", I would not enroll at the medical school in Ireland.

That is why I asked the question as there is obviously a different definition in the US. In Canada you can apply to any medical schools while already studying somewhere else, but they do not accept transfers (ie. transfering into second year after already having completed a year at a different school, without having to go through the admissions process), all applicants start from year one.

I am commited to studying overseas (along with the associated risks), but obviously my options would be more abundant if I could get into a North American school, that is why I am thinking of applying one more roundc during my first year of studies in Ireland.

According to the AAMC traffic rules:

"9. No school make an acceptance offer, either verbal or written, to any individual who has enrolled in, or begun an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school. Enrollment is defined as being officially matriculated as a member of the school's first-year entering class."

I guess since you would be in Ireland, and not in the US or Canada it might be okay though still really questionable. On the other hand, why would you complete a whole year overseas (spend the money, etc), then come back and start from scratch? Either re-apply next year and don't waste your time/money in Ireland, or just go to the Irish Medical School and don't look back.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/62826/policies_admissionofficers.html

That is why I asked the question as there is obviously a different definition in the US. In Canada you can apply to any medical schools while already studying somewhere else, but they do not accept transfers (ie. transfering into second year after already having completed a year at a different school, without having to go through the admissions process), all applicants start from year one.

I am commited to studying overseas (along with the associated risks), but obviously my options would be more abundant if I could get into a North American school, that is why I am thinking of applying one more roundc during my first year of studies in Ireland.

Medisforme,

I've heard of a few Ireland 1st years simultaneously applying to US MD schools and getting in.* They leave after their first year in Ireland. The only way to do it though would be not to tell them you're going to med school in Ireland. No med school is going to touch you if they know you're about to start med school some where else.

So you'll have to be somewhat dishonest to do it, if that's what you wanted.

*Again, completely heresay from the upper classmen.

If this would be your 5th application cycle, strongly consider going to Ireland & not spending $ on more applications here. Very seriously ask yourself (& peers, advisers, etc.) what would make this year successful that you didn't do last year--i can't imagine you were holding something back in the 4th round. Of course, I'm assuming you applied to a reasonable # of schools each year & to schools that would realistically consider a Canadian applicant. (And I say this as someone who got into schools only after my 3rd round...major change was dropping my committee letter). While the rules may not prohibit applying after enrolling in an Irish school, i would consider their underlying intent--governments & schools invest a lot of money & expectations in students & someone who leaves for re-starting at a better or more convenient school disrespectfully wasted those investments...this may be acceptable for someone applying from a school in their less developed homeland, but I can't imagine anybody thinking the education in Ireland merits such an attempt to trade up.