Applying to UW out of state!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris125

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UW is my #1 choice, but most people feel that it is a long shot because I am applying from CA (only 4 out of state applicants matriculated last year). Has anyone on here been accepted to UW from out of state (and specifically from CA)? If so, what does it take for the Adcom to overlook your residency and what were your stats? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Those DAT scores should make them stand up and take notice, so I believe you do have a decent shot at UW.

Thanks for your confidence. I know DAT scores help tremendously, but they aren't everything. I feel like it will probably come down to the interview. I am curious to know how the interviews went for other out-of-staters. If you interviewed with UW from out of state your advice is most appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
from what i've heard, accepted out-of-staters aren't necessarily the ones with the very best stats, but the extremely well-rounded ones with great stats and something unique (published research, exceptional volunteering, strong leadership roles, etc.)

so if you have an ace up your sleeve that makes you more than a good gpa and a great dat, make sure to highlight it during your interview!

but if you don't get in, don't let it get you down -- there are lots of great dental schools that would love to have you and after 4 years, you'll still become a dentist :)

Speaking from a person who had UW as my #1 choice and being that I was a Washington resident, and a UW alumni and DATs in the 20's, I did not even get into the wait list at UW. Granted, this was in 2002....i don't believe that it changed....i think it was because I had a history of being a California resident. UW doesn't like ppl from California. Don't know why? Besides....they only have 5-7 spots reserved for out of states, and they're usually filled by WAMI states (Arizona, Alaska, Montana, Idaho). Good luck anyways....GO HUSKIES!

UOP_Dentist said:
Speaking from a person who had UW as my #1 choice and being that I was a Washington resident, and a UW alumni and DATs in the 20's, I did not even get into the wait list at UW. Granted, this was in 2002....i don't believe that it changed....i think it was because I had a history of being a California resident. UW doesn't like ppl from California. Don't know why? Besides....they only have 5-7 spots reserved for out of states, and they're usually filled by WAMI states (Arizona, Alaska, Montana, Idaho). Good luck anyways....GO HUSKIES!
Thanks for the confidence boost!

I got accepted last year and I think one of the main reasons why I was accepted (beside that I belonged to a WICHE state) is because of my volunteering experience. Most of my interview was concentrated on that aspect of my secondary. Good luck!

Thanks wimmcs...I'll need it!