Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Applying when you're not in the country..

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by looney, Jul 29, 2002.

1. looney

looney Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi guys,
    I need some advice. I am going to be out of the country beginning in august for the entire year, and I'm not really sure how I'm going to coordinate this entire process when I'm not even in the United States. My AMCAS is probably going to be verified this week and I have already begun to work on secondaries, but what should I do about interviews? Would late december of January be too late to return?

Please post or pm me if you have applied while abroad. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    just to clarify, when you say entire year, do you mean until the end of 2002 or for the entire 2002-2003 academic year.

many of the secondaries are available online, so you can do them while abroad. for those that aren't, maybe you can have a friend back home scan things for you and send them over. the pdf editor sounds like the way to go, but ask jot quickly. i believe he's discontinuing his service soon.
    as far as interviews, many of them start their interviewing in sept/oct so you'll be behind part of the crowd, but it seems that if you can get back in december for interviews, you should be in a good position. i haven't heard of any schools that stop interviewing for seats in the class before january.

so, where are you going?

4. looney

looney Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I will be gone from august 2002 until at least june 2003. I am going to be doing 'fuzzy' research in China. :)

5. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    so do you plan on being back dec 2002 - jan 2003 for these interviews so that you can be in the fall 2003 entering class? if you're gone at least until june 2003, are you going to be back in time for med school classes to begin? some start in july.

if you can schedule your interviews during this time, then more power to you, but many people on sdn didn't even receive interviews until feb/march and beyond. and, unless your dad is bill gates, it'll get pretty expensive flying from china to each interview.

so, what kind of 'fuzzy' research are you going to do?