Applying while abroad...feasible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

specialflava

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to do an internship abroad this summer from late June to mid August, while applying for med school. I was just wondering how feasible this would be, so long as I submitted my primaries and had all of my letters of rec squared away with the letter service at my school before leaving the country. Can all secondaries be filled out online nowadays? Has anyone else done this? Any potential problems that could pop up? (FYI I'd have constant internet access abroad.) I'd really appreciate any input any of you might have. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Can all secondaries be filled out online nowadays? Has anyone else done this? Any potential problems that could pop up? (FYI I'd have constant internet access abroad.)
Many secondaries can be done purely electronically, but some require you to print out your app you fill in online and then sign/mail. Some secondaries will be mailed to you via hard copy and you need to fill it out and mail it back.

I was hoping to do an internship abroad this summer from late June to mid August, while applying for med school. I was just wondering how feasible this would be, so long as I submitted my primaries and had all of my letters of rec squared away with the letter service at my school before leaving the country. Can all secondaries be filled out online nowadays? Has anyone else done this? Any potential problems that could pop up? (FYI I'd have constant internet access abroad.) I'd really appreciate any input any of you might have. Thanks in advance!

Sure is. I have a good friend applying while working in Africa for the year with very unreliable internet access and he has interviews at all of the top schools without encountering too many issues. You'd have to plan pretty carefully, but a couple of months surely won't hurt. :luck:

Make sure everything is mailed to your parents. Not all notifications (to fill out a secondary/interview) are done online. You need them to be on top of your mail. And make sure you finish the primary before you leave, because you will have no motivation to do it while abroad. Your whole lifestyle can change, and medicine may start to be put off. You may not feel yourself anymore abroad and not feel like quality secondaries are being produced. You're going abroad for some personal reason-fun, growth, a different experience, to learn a language, and it becomes easy to not make medicine a priority. Don't let that happen to you!