Applying with an academic dishonesty/misconduct record. (any similar situation, thoughts)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cristianoronaldo

Reaction score
The spring of my junior I was taking an exam in an elective class. During the exam my friend kept on tapping my shoulder and shaking me in order to see my answers. Instead of reporting him, I continued to take my exam. He kept on trying to talk to me but ignored him but him shouting answers were definitely hard not to hear. I kept my head straight and my eyes on my own paper.I turned in my test and that was the end of it. Three days letter I check my grade and I have zero. I then received a classwide email from the professor saying that a group of students has been reported for cheating and that those students should turn themselves with specific details if they don't want any harsh consequences. So since I had a 0 in my grade book and nobody else did I told my professor I cheated on the test and made my test accessible. Looking back I shouldn't have said I cheated because I DIDN'T, I just failed to report my friend. I was just scared nobody would believe because of its my word vs. the professor and the students who thought I was. I thought nobody would believe a hispanic with an accent in a predominantly white school.

I received a 0 for my test and ended up with C. I sent an email to my professor a few weeks later that I did not cheat but by that time it was too late. It was either I sign the agreement that I CHEATED and should be charged with COMPLICITY and it not go on my transcript or I face the council and possibly get suspended or F*. A few weeks later I explained the situation again but she still said I was guilty for no follow the honor code (not reporting wrongful cheating)however the standing cannot change.

I know I was wrong in not reporting my friend and turning a blind eye. I did not want him to get in trouble but in the end that was very dishonest bc other students had worked hard for their test. I have learned and tried to better myself as a person. I have a 3.7 overall GPA and a 3.6sGPA. Currently scribing and have hospital volunteering, a mentor in a minority organization, 1 semester of research, and an ushering at church. I messed up my freshman year by getting a c in math, b in bio, and b in chem. After that all my science classes have been A's and I have busted my butt.

I guess my question is how bad is this setback? How can I make it better or explain it to admission? Should I report if not on my transcript?

I was thinking perhaps I could try to get a rec. letter talking about my growth and integrity from the proff who reported me or from the honor council.

Members don't see this ad.

How long ago did this occur? You said spring of your junior year, was that this past spring or some years ago?

Should I report if not on my transcript?

You need to report any institutional action, regardless of whether or not it appears on your transcript.

Reactions: 1 user
How long ago did this occur? You said spring of your junior year, was that this past spring or some years ago?

You need to report any institutional action, regardless of whether or not it appears on your transcript.
This happened my junior year in 2019. The thing is The report says I cheated but I never did. I just don’t know if the admissions committee will believe that:/

Members don't see this ad :)
The spring of my junior I was taking an exam in an elective class. During the exam my friend kept on tapping my shoulder and shaking me in order to see my answers. Instead of reporting him, I continued to take my exam. He kept on trying to talk to me but ignored him but him shouting answers were definitely hard not to hear. I kept my head straight and my eyes on my own paper.I turned in my test and that was the end of it. Three days letter I check my grade and I have zero. I then received a classwide email from the professor saying that a group of students has been reported for cheating and that those students should turn themselves with specific details if they don't want any harsh consequences. So since I had a 0 in my grade book and nobody else did I told my professor I cheated on the test and made my test accessible. Looking back I shouldn't have said I cheated because I DIDN'T, I just failed to report my friend. I was just scared nobody would believe because of its my word vs. the professor and the students who thought I was. I thought nobody would believe a hispanic with an accent in a predominantly white school.

I received a 0 for my test and ended up with C. I sent an email to my professor a few weeks later that I did not cheat but by that time it was too late. It was either I sign the agreement that I CHEATED and should be charged with COMPLICITY and it not go on my transcript or I face the council and possibly get suspended or F*. A few weeks later I explained the situation again but she still said I was guilty for no follow the honor code (not reporting wrongful cheating)however the standing cannot change.

I know I was wrong in not reporting my friend and turning a blind eye. I did not want him to get in trouble but in the end that was very dishonest bc other students had worked hard for their test. I have learned and tried to better myself as a person. I have a 3.7 overall GPA and a 3.6sGPA. Currently scribing and have hospital volunteering, a mentor in a minority organization, 1 semester of research, and an ushering at church. I messed up my freshman year by getting a c in math, b in bio, and b in chem. After that all my science classes have been A's and I have busted my butt.

I guess my question is how bad is this setback? How can I make it better or explain it to admission? Should I report if not on my transcript?

I was thinking perhaps I could try to get a rec. letter talking about my growth and integrity from the proff who reported me or from the honor council.
I can't sugar coat this, it's bad. Like really bad. Your not wanting to get your "friend" in trouble may have cost you a medical career (or at least, put it into deep stasis.)

The way I look at it, by the time you're a JR, you should know better. And even if your story is 100% true, you come off as having severe judgement issues.

Here's the roadblock you face:

Adcoms will ask:
1) Is this the sort of person we want in our class?
2) Why accept this person when we have so many other candidates who didn't cheat?

Yes, this doesn't define you as a person, but one mistake CAN keep you out of med school. Even my 15 year old understands that actions have consequences, and that we're always bad one choice away from disaster.

IF you can get a LOR from the professor, this will help ameliorate things, but I suggest that you put some time between this incident and applying. Lead an exemplary life, and engage in positions of responsibility.

IF you don't report and it's discovered after your are accepted, your acceptance can be rescinded. You could be kicked out of med school if you matriculate and this comes to light after that.

I can't sugar coat this, it's bad. Like really bad. Your not wanting to get your "friend" in trouble may have cost you a medical career (or at least, put it into deep stasis.)

The way I look at it, by the time you're a JR, you should know better. And even if your story is 100% true, you come off as having severe judgement issues.

Here's the roadblock you face:

Adcoms will ask:
1) Is this the sort of person we want in our class?
2) Why accept this person when we have so many other candidates who didn't cheat?

Yes, this doesn't define you as a person, but one mistake CAN keep you out of med school. Even my 15 year old understands that actions have consequences, and that we're always bad one choice away from disaster.

IF you can get a LOR from the professor, this will help ameliorate things, but I suggest that you put some time between this incident and applying. Lead an exemplary life, and engage in positions of responsibility.

IF you don't report and it's discovered after your are accepted, your acceptance can be rescinded. You could be kicked out of med school if you matriculate and this comes to light after that.
Thank you for your feedback. I recently spoke to the Honor Committee and they are trying to get me in contact with the Dean. They told me to ask him for a letter or advice.

I understand how it can seem like I have judgment issues. It was right before finals, sleep deprivation and bad friends was the perfect cocktail to make a mistake. I screwed up but I am willing to do whatever it take to show my integrity and how much my frontal lobe has developed since then.

I believe God put me here for a reason. I have the work ethic and I am willing to put others before me. I was born to be a doctor.

Why kind of leadership positions do you recommend? I just graduated college.

Thank you for your feedback. I recently spoke to the Honor Committee and they are trying to get me in contact with the Dean. They told me to ask him for a letter or advice.

I understand how it can seem like I have judgment issues. It was right before finals, sleep deprivation and bad friends was the perfect cocktail to make a mistake. I screwed up but I am willing to do whatever it take to show my integrity and how much my frontal lobe has developed since then.

I believe God put me here for a reason. I have the work ethic and I am willing to put others before me. I was born to be a doctor.

Why kind of leadership positions do you recommend? I just graduated college.
Off the top of my head,
Teaching
Bank teller

I get this is a little extreme but would you consider enlisting in the military?

Americorps is also pretty cool if you want to start living a life of service

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
So When you fill out the primary application you are going to say I said/admitted I cheated but I didn’t? How do you think that will come across? It wont be impressive. And you’re right, ADCOMS won’t believe you. You need to put several years between the cheating and your application time. You somehow have to prove that the you of then has changed and grown and accepts responsibility! And even then there are no guarantees. Only 40% of all applicants each cycle are accepted! Why would a school accept anyone with an IA for academic dishonesty when they have thousands of stellar applicants without an IA ? Always have a plan B.

• Love