Applying with expired MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDoorz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN,

I'm in a bit of an odd situation and have come to ask for your advice. I took the MCAT in July 2014 and received a 34. Right now, I have a list of 15 schools I'd like to apply to; however, my two favorites (CCOM & NSU-COM) both do not accept MCATs that are three years old past the matriculation date.

Is it possible to apply with my 'expired' MCAT to the 12-13 schools that will accept it, retake the MCAT for CCOM & NSU-COM during July after my application has been verified, and then add them to the list? Is this idea smart, dumb, doesn't make any sense?

Or perhaps, should I just suck it up, forget those two schools, and spend the money that would be used on the new MCAT to apply to more schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure any schools accept more than 3 years old. I thought that was the standard, though I may be wrong.

You will likely have to take the new exam

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure any schools accept more than 3 years old. I thought that was the standard, though I may be wrong.

You will likely have to take the new exam

Hmmm, 2017 would be the 3rd year of the score. The other schools I am looking at: ACOM, ATSU-KOM, NYIT-COM, PNWU-COM, WCUCOM, and VCOM all accept the score. At least based on their sites or CIB. I'm still waiting on some others to confirm.

Any more thoughts?

Hmmm, 2017 would be the 3rd year of the score. The other schools I am looking at: ACOM, ATSU-KOM, NYIT-COM, PNWU-COM, WCUCOM, and VCOM all accept the score. At least based on their sites or CIB. I'm still waiting on some others to confirm.

Any more thoughts?

If you don't feel like studying for the new MCAT (I know I wouldn't again,) then I would just forgo those two schools. CCOM is an extremely expensive school, and NSU-COM seems to be regionally biased. Some schools will take MCAT from 5 years ago.

PCOM is also off the list because of the expired MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't retake the beast unless these schools are really your top choice. Also, what if you score lower? That's another thing to consider.

Are you sure CCOM won't accept July 2014 MCAT scores? On their website it says "no more than 3 years prior to the planned enrollment year are acceptable." So if you are planning to enroll in 2017, I would assume all 2014 scores will be accepted.

On the other hand, AZCOM says "no more than 3 years prior to the matriculation date of the planned enrollment year are acceptable." The latest MCAT for them would be August 2014 then.

SDN,

I'm in a bit of an odd situation and have come to ask for your advice. I took the MCAT in July 2014 and received a 34. Right now, I have a list of 15 schools I'd like to apply to; however, my two favorites (CCOM & NSU-COM) both do not accept MCATs that are three years old past the matriculation date.

Is it possible to apply with my 'expired' MCAT to the 12-13 schools that will accept it, retake the MCAT for CCOM & NSU-COM during July after my application has been verified, and then add them to the list? Is this idea smart, dumb, doesn't make any sense?

Or perhaps, should I just suck it up, forget those two schools, and spend the money that would be used on the new MCAT to apply to more schools?

Thanks!

Just make sure any schools you're interested in will take it and you could contact the other schools and see if they might just be flexible. I'd avoid retaking if possible, as beating that score will be a challenge, as the new mcat is different. You would hate to ruin chances just to get into a few other schools that you may or may not want.

I am in this same situation. My MCAT is from January 2014 (36 with 14/10/12), and many schools would consider this outdated. I am simply going to apply regardless, and call to ask for flexibility.

I am in this same situation. My MCAT is from January 2014 (36 with 14/10/12), and many schools would consider this outdated. I am simply going to apply regardless, and call to ask for flexibility.

Use caution in applying to schools where they state they won't accept scores that are out of date. It would really be bad to get accepted and then a week before classes start the school tells you sorry you can't start because XYZ isn't complete. Such has happened (even this last cycle) at some schools which is why I bring it up.

Use caution in applying to schools where they state they won't accept scores that are out of date. It would really be bad to get accepted and then a week before classes start the school tells you sorry you can't start because XYZ isn't complete. Such has happened (even this last cycle) at some schools which is why I bring it up.

In my case, I will definitely ask the school for my matriculation terms and complete them. I'd definitely take a month off before classes to take the MCAT if it is necessary.

It depends on what your GPA is. If your GPA is competitive (i.e. 3.5), then it's ok even if you score a little lower on the retake. If your GPA is borderline, then I wouldn't risk it. I personally retook a 95+percentile score for this exact reason and got literally the same percentile score the second time. Now I'm sort of hoping that the two great scores can make me more competitive than just one great score (don't know if adcoms will agree with my logic...).It was definitely a risk though, so tread carefully.

Anyone else with this issue in the past that got accepted? It would be comforting to know that schools have made exceptions.

Members don't see this ad :)
CCOM & NSU-COM (theoretically) both take 2014 MCATs for the 2017 cycle. I believe NSU-COM only does it within application date.

EDIT: Annnnd it's an old thread. Whelp.

Call the schools and ask one of my friends got in with a 5 year mcat. Sometimes they'll make exceptions. Especially with it being that high

Call the schools and ask one of my friends got in with a 5 year mcat. Sometimes they'll make exceptions. Especially with it being that high

Thanks for the info! I did call, and CCOM said that I am not expired, but KCUMB said that the adcom will have to look into it when they are reviewing my app. I did get an "application complete" email a few days ago from them, so I'm feeling a bit better. I'll have to call some of the other schools.

It depends on what your GPA is. If your GPA is competitive (i.e. 3.5), then it's ok even if you score a little lower on the retake. If your GPA is borderline, then I wouldn't risk it. I personally retook a 95+percentile score for this exact reason and got literally the same percentile score the second time. Now I'm sort of hoping that the two great scores can make me more competitive than just one great score (don't know if adcoms will agree with my logic...).It was definitely a risk though, so tread carefully.

What? I'm assuming you meant a 95th%tile in a subsection right? :wideyed:

No I meant 95th+ percentile overall.

Was it expired or something? Why did you retake? Sorry just curious. You could've paid me 100,000 dollars to retake with that score and I wouldn't have.

Was it expired or something? Why did you retake? Sorry just curious. You could've paid me 100,000 dollars to retake with that score and I wouldn't have.
It expired at a couple of schools. And I worked as a MCAT instructor for a while so I'm not too scared of the MCAT.

It expired at a couple of schools. And I worked as a MCAT instructor for a while so I'm not too scared of the MCAT.

Well that's pretty sweet. /thread hijack