Applying With Only Pre-Reqs and sGPA padding. Worried.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noleknight16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done a self-guided post-bacc for the past year now. Pretty much none of the medical school pre-reqs were taken when I began it and I had a sGPA of 2.5 (but 3.7 cGPA). I had previously taken Calculus 1-3 and a couple other science courses while in undergrad.

I took all the pre-reqs and I've also been taking classes like intro Astronomy/Life in the Universe, Psychobiological classes like Neuropsychology/Physiological Psychology and also intro statistics. This has raised my sGPA all the way to around a 3.5.

I am worried that ADCOMs at MD and DO schools might look at my transcripts and knock me because they aren't the typical upper level biology classes. This post-bacc had to be as cost efficient as possible while ensuring I raised my sGPA. I didn't didn't want to be weeded out by a computer when applying due to a low sGPA. I figure that if I kill the MCAT, then they know what I'm capable of regardless of strength of post-bacc courseload.

What say you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Quit fussing; you'll be fine.

I have done a self-guided post-bacc for the past year now. Pretty much none of the medical school pre-reqs were taken when I began it and I had a sGPA of 2.5 (but 3.7 cGPA). I had previously taken Calculus 1-3 and a couple other science courses while in undergrad.

I took all the pre-reqs and I've also been taking classes like intro Astronomy/Life in the Universe, Psychobiological classes like Neuropsychology/Physiological Psychology and also intro statistics. This has raised my sGPA all the way to around a 3.5.

I am worried that ADCOMs at MD and DO schools might look at my transcripts and knock me because they aren't the typical upper level biology classes. This post-bacc had to be as cost efficient as possible while ensuring I raised my sGPA. I didn't didn't want to be weeded out by a computer when applying due to a low sGPA. I figure that if I kill the MCAT, then they know what I'm capable of regardless of strength of post-bacc courseload.

What say you guys?

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry too much about it. I took some classes my senior year to boost my sGPA. Just do well on the MCAT and you should be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your assumption about the MCAT is valid; this and your pre-req grades will tell most schools everything they need to know about your science proficiency. A few schools require or recommend upper-level bio. coursework, but for those you can review their websites and select where you apply accordingly. I only have 2 upper-level bio classes, one of which was a "science policy" seminar, and I've done decently well this admisisons cycle.

I can tell you first hand it doesn't matter for DO.

MCAT is more important. That should be the worry, not this.