applying without all prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemorrage

Ambrose
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious.. i'm going to applying next year and i currently have 4 pre-reqs left: phy1+2, 1 bio w/ lab, and english 2, however, i don't know if i will have time to take the 2nd bio and english before i apply due to taking classes for my major, etc. Is this allowed?

Members don't see this ad.

doubt it would keep you from getting verified or in as long as its done prior to matriculation

Last edited:
Can you take any summer courses this year? Most schools just want you to be done with your prereqs before matriculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
i could but their quite expensive

so if i take it senior year (after the app is submitted) its fine? Does this leave me at a disadvantage?

Only in terms of your MCAT....

Only in terms of your MCAT....

how so? im assuming i should be able to cover any missing parts of biology through mcat prep.. and english shouldn't really do much right?

how so? im assuming i should be able to cover any missing parts of biology through mcat prep.. and english shouldn't really do much right?

It's clearly a disadvantage to learn Bio through MCAT prep versus learning Bio through a class and Mcat prep. X < X + Y. You can weigh X and Y, but neither are obviously zero.

Anyways, plenty of people take MCAT without all the prereq classes, and plenty of people apply to and get accepted to Med Schools without all the prereqs. I did both.

It's clearly a disadvantage to learn Bio through MCAT prep versus learning Bio through a class and Mcat prep. X < X + Y. You can weigh X and Y, but neither are obviously zero.

Anyways, plenty of people take MCAT without all the prereq classes, and plenty of people apply to and get accepted to Med Schools without all the prereqs. I did both.

Well i've taken plenty of biology classes at my school.. i just haven't taken more than 1 that has a lab attached to it. So if its "ok" to apply without having all the pre-reqs done they just expect you to have it done by end of senior year right?

Well i've taken plenty of biology classes at my school.. i just haven't taken more than 1 that has a lab attached to it. So if its "ok" to apply without having all the pre-reqs done they just expect you to have it done by end of senior year right?

You have to finish your pre-reqs prior to matriculation, which includes end of senior year.

Your acceptance letter will state the classes you are missing.

You have to finish your pre-reqs prior to matriculation, which includes end of senior year.

Your acceptance letter will state the classes you are missing.

ahh i see. Thanks so much. Do you think there is any "bias" towards people who haven't finished everything?

ahh i see. Thanks so much. Do you think there is any "bias" towards people who haven't finished everything?

Other than a better idea of how well they performed in that particular science class, not too much. It's just, the more vivid the adcom has of the person, the better.

For example, if two people have the exact same stats, EC's, PS's, and everything, but one had 4 A's in bio, chem, physics, and orgo while the other had 2 A's in Bio and Orgo, the former person would be better off since there is a better idea of how well they do in science classes. They both have 4.0's but the first person provides a more vivid picture.

You basically want to give them enough classes to work with.

So just to clarify.

The way my course plan is laid out, I will not be able to take my last prereq (eng 2) until the fall of my senior year. Is this going to be a major point of concern especially for more competitive schools (think Upenn,Pritzker,)?