Applying without an Undergraduate Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalDent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the chances of acceptance are for someone without a degree? I assume that it is possible with great numbers, but are there some schools that don't care as much? What do my numbers need to be in order to be competitive without a degree?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused...you can apply without a degree, but almost all that I can think of need you to complete it before you start...is that what you're asking???

Some d schools don't have a formal degree requirement (even tho most of their students matriculating do have one)

if u plan on applying w/o a bachelors, u should contact the schools ur interested in and check their websites. They do have information ur looking for verbatim on the "admissions requirement" page online. Most schools used to say "Applicants must have 90hrs of College Credit to apply, a bachelors degree is not required but 90% of students accepted do have one" or something to that effect. ppl who get in without a bachelors have an impeccable academic record. impeccable means a really high gpa, solid DAT, define that as you will. i should know, i was planning on applying early until senioritis hit me sophomore yr haha)

Members don't see this ad :)
Some d schools don't have a formal degree requirement (even tho most of their students matriculating do have one)

if u plan on applying w/o a bachelors, u should contact the schools ur interested in and check their websites. They do have information ur looking for verbatim on the "admissions requirement" page online. Most schools used to say "Applicants must have 90hrs of College Credit to apply, a bachelors degree is not required but 90% of students accepted do have one" or something to that effect. ppl who get in without a bachelors have an impeccable academic record. impeccable means a really high gpa, solid DAT, define that as you will. i should know, i was planning on applying early until senioritis hit me sophomore yr haha)

Agreed, I for a While wanted to do the whole no degree thing, when I started calling schools I got as a rude awakening...lol

Go to the school's website becaue they will list their requirements. A lot of schools will say a minimum of 90 credit hours required, but that the majority of those they accept have a BA degree and that's what they prefer.

I think it's the very rare and exceptional person who's accepted without a BA degree. I personally think it's a waste of money to apply if you're nowhere near being done with undergrad. Unless you think that you are extremely special and have what it takes to be that exception.

Call the schools and ask how many of their incoming class doesn't have a BA degree or ask what kinds of qualities one needs to be accepted without it. I would imagine it's probably pretty stellar stats along with something else that makes you stand out . . . .

BTW - enjoy undergrad! When you're out in the world and working, you'll realize that undergrad really was a fun time.

thanks for your reply. I have a 3.7 overall GPA and a 3.6 science. I was planning on taking the Dat in the early summer to see what I got and make my decision then. I am kind of living under my families shadows. My dad and two uncles both got into UOP without degrees. I know admissions are much different now, but I guess I should just call and see how much different.

were your dad and uncle in the UOP predental program? if so you can go through without getting your degree in undergrad (2+3), or you can go through without a degree in undergrad and end up finishing it in dental school (3+3). granted, most 3+3's end up getting their degree anyway.

thanks for your reply. I have a 3.7 overall GPA and a 3.6 science. I was planning on taking the Dat in the early summer to see what I got and make my decision then. I am kind of living under my families shadows. My dad and two uncles both got into UOP without degrees. I know admissions are much different now, but I guess I should just call and see how much different.

I know for sure that UoP has some students right now who got in without their bachelor's. Especially with alumni connections it should be possible, but your chances of getting in go up if you finish college.

Thanks H2O Polo, Do you happen to know what their numbers where? GPA and Dat scores? Ballpark?