Applying without completing prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed:
G-chem 1
O-chem 1 and 2
Physics 1
Bio 1 and 2
Calc 1 and 2
Statistics

Plus many upper div bio classes

Need to complete
English 1 and 2
physics 2
G-chem 2 (or at our school u can take biochem in its place)

Should I apply missing those prereqs? Will schools even consider my app? Someone told me (don't know if this is true or not) that many schools won't consider ur app if ur missing more than 1 prereq?

Members don't see this ad.

Gonna take august mcat and perhaps a good score will show that I am competent in these subjects?

NRAI2001 said:
I have completed:
G-chem 1
O-chem 1 and 2
Physics 1
Bio 1 and 2
Calc 1 and 2
Statistics

Plus many upper div bio classes

Need to complete
English 1 and 2
physics 2
G-chem 2 (or at our school u can take biochem in its place)

Should I apply missing those prereqs? Will schools even consider my app? Someone told me (don't know if this is true or not) that many schools won't consider ur app if ur missing more than 1 prereq?

why did you take orgo before completeing gen chem?

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm

you have an interesting position. well, I believe the official policy is that the pre-reqs must be completed prior to your matriculation at the school. as such, you can still wrap up some of the pre-reqs in your senior year of your undergrad and that is fine. the problem is that if you have too many missing pre-reqs, they cannot evaluate your ability to do well in those classes; however, the MCAT and other upper-level science classes should give them enough insight to evaluate your potential to handle the hard-core medical school science curriculum.

so in short, I would say you could still apply, since a.) it seems you've take a number of upper level science courses that they can still look at, and b.) the MCAT should provide some evaluation of your science-course-abilities as well.

after applying, you need to make sure you finish the pre-reqs.

hnbui said:
why did you take orgo before completeing gen chem?

At Cal we have a bit of a different system, we take G chem 1 then the o chems and then we take biochem and that makes up our 2 years of chemistry.

I will definitely finish the prereqs before marticulation, but will they even give my app serious consideration (considering other aspects are solid) given that I haven't completed a few of the pre reqs?

NRAI2001 said:
At Cal we have a bit of a different system, we take G chem 1 then the o chems and then we take biochem and that makes up our 2 years of chemistry.

I will definitely finish the prereqs before marticulation, but will they even give my app serious consideration (considering other aspects are solid) given that I haven't completed a few of the pre reqs?

okay gotcha
;)

as for the answer to your original post, as others have stated, it won't hurt you much if you perform well on the mcat especially for those sections,ie. physics and possible gen chem.