MD Applying without Research? CA resident high GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConcretePete

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

It is almost guaranteed that I will have absolutely no research experience on my application come 2015 when I apply. I don't want to go to a research school, or become a medical researcher, so is this a problem?

Ending sophomore year I'll have a high GPA ( estimated 3.85c, 3.95s) and my MCAT practice exams are showing scores between 36-38. I typically never choke or struggle on actual exams (or under exam like pressure) so I feel that a 35 will be my lowest expected score, with a 38 being the highest.

I also have some decent (~100 hours, 1 year) experience in homeless volunteering, and about ~150 hours combined of clinical volunteering and shadowing (which will continue through next year).

In the end it seems my application will come down to a high GPA/MCAT, with some volunteering and clinical experience. Is this enough to get me into an MD school as a Californian resident?

Also, white middle class male I am!

Edit: My sophomore year has been mostly upper division science courses; the only non-A I've gotten in science was from a lower division biology professor who tanked the class without a curve.

Members don't see this ad.

When people with 3.8+ and 38 MCAT are worried about getting into their state schools, that state needs more schools.

Reactions: 1 users
From what I've been told, research isn't required. I was told by schools that it doesn't hurt to have it, but is definitely not a necessity. Wont make or break you

Members don't see this ad :)
It's enough to make you competitive. Definitely try to beef up your ECs though, particularly your clinical experience if you don't plan on doing any research.

It is better to check all the boxes, but if you don't you had better be more than proficient in other areas. Do you have work experience? Do you have clinical experience (other than volunteer/shadow)? Do you have leadership experience? Team experience?

Numbers are not everything. They tend to matter more to research heavy top schools... so keep that in mind.

By the time I will apply I will have worked for 3 summers at the same place, with a strong letter of recommendation coming from them. This work is service based (think catering), and not medical in any way.

Otherwise no, no other clinical experience, leadership experience, or team experience (outside my volunteer group and work, which are both team activities).

Hey SDN,

It is almost guaranteed that I will have absolutely no research experience on my application come 2015 when I apply. I don't want to go to a research school, or become a medical researcher, so is this a problem?

Ending sophomore year I'll have a high GPA ( estimated 3.85c, 3.95s) and my MCAT practice exams are showing scores between 36-38. I typically never choke or struggle on actual exams (or under exam like pressure) so I feel that a 35 will be my lowest expected score, with a 38 being the highest.

I also have some decent (~100 hours, 1 year) experience in homeless volunteering, and about ~150 hours combined of clinical volunteering and shadowing (which will continue through next year).

In the end it seems my application will come down to a high GPA/MCAT, with some volunteering and clinical experience. Is this enough to get me into an MD school as a Californian resident?

Also, white middle class male I am!

Edit: My sophomore year has been mostly upper division science courses; the only non-A I've gotten in science was from a lower division biology professor who tanked the class without a curve.

Curious: why is there no chance at research experience? No labs of any kind are looking for free labor?

The majority of the research availability is in engineering fields (which I have no coursework in at all, Biochemistry major); also the majority of the professors I know are lecturers only and don't do research. Just as well three professors I has this year and freshmen year retired from academia.

I would rather just study study study and participate in my volunteering activities than research anyway; I'm not interested in medical research as I don't see myself enjoying life in a lab. I'm interested in medicine for the direct effect I can have on somebody's life; I get a taste of that feeling volunteering with the homeless and its worth living for.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

I understand I'm going for the cookie cutter premed application but I honestly don't care about getting into a top tier school. Any US-MD program will make me happy. I'm going to try and do some clinical volunteering this summer.

Also, do you think grafting plants is something worth putting on my application? I just took it up as a hobby and have documentation (pictures) of my progress, both of failures and successes. The grafting is mostly flowers but I have a small lemon tree I'm planning to attempt a citrus graft with.