Applying without Step 2/Level 2? Please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KarmaIsTruth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a DO MS-4, and I'm applying to community hospital IM programs in the area (come mid-September). I have a decent COMLEX Level 1 score (594), but I kind of lost a lot of time during third year (had fun, online gaming, got married). Yes - I know it is not a good excuse. I also did the Step 2 UWorld Self Assessment 1 and scored 224. Not too bad - until I found out that the average is in the 240s (https://www.usmle.org/pdfs/transcripts/USMLE_Step_Examination_Score_Interpretation_Guidelines.pdf). FML - lol.

So here's my questions.

1. Should I take Step 2 anyway? (I have it scheduled.) Or should I just postpone it?

2. Also, I am not very prepared for COMLEX Level 2 either (scheduled late this month). Will applying without a COMLEX Level 2 get me some interviews or will this hurt me more?
Overall, I'm honestly thinking of just not taking USMLE Step 2 and taking COMLEX Level 2 like in October or something (perhaps way too late). Thoughts? I appreciate anyone helping me out. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not as familiar with COMLEX but I know a lot of community IM programs don't require a STEP 2, so if you have a decent STEP 1, it behooves you to take STEP 2 late and not release your score with your application.

Yeah, don't take it if you're sure you won't beat your first score. It won't help you one bit and for IM they value Level/Step 1 far more than 2.