APPREHENSIVE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

ELVIS

I am taking the MCAT in August for the first time. I almost sent my applications to PA School when I realized that I am smart enough to be a docor. So with only one month prep time:

A) How will I do on the MCAT?
1640 GRE, 3.6 Science GPA(Organic I, Physics I&II, Cell Phys., Genetics, Calculus, and a zillion others) Mind you I am only a C student in ALL CHEMISTRY COURSES TAKEN

B) How far behind the power curve am I in the application process?

Oh, By the way I am still alive!

Members don't see this ad.

You are a *****. Enough said

Ignore Dogboy, just jump in and do your best. One month is not much time to prep for the MCAT but just study as much as you can and take as many practice tests as you can. After you do a test make sure to go over the questions you got wrong and if you don't know why you got it wrong find someone or something that can help you figure out why you are wrong, especially on chemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Carrie...and do ignore DOGBOY [he can be rather funny at time though].

Elvis,

Unfortunately, all those grades and GRE scores mean absolutely ZERO on the MCAT. However, I would think such a strong GRE score is indicative of solid test-taking skills and that will be a HUGE advantage for you. The best advice i can give you...you've had the material that's on the MCAT so I would focus on testing skills! Like Hskrmedic says...many many many practice tests! But, don't completely ignore reviewing subject matter. Use your scores on the practice tests to see where you are weak on knowledge and focus there.

Best of luck!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Not that it makes a difference on the mcat, but the 1640 on the gre is not that great of a score. the test is graded out of 2400, with each section counting 800 points.

my advice: don't bring up the gre on your med school applications; it won't help, and they don't care anyways. study hard for the mcat and take it next april. one month for the mcat is really tough. about 5 topics to cover in a month? that's about 6 days for each topic! too crazy.

it's best to ace the exam the first time through. you have years ahead of you to practice medicine. what's an extra 8 months of studying to prepare for the april mcat?

doogie

I agree with doogie, if you were a C science student then youll probably need more than 6 days per section to master the material for the exam. Study until April, a little more leisurely, and take a hack at it then.

OK, you got C's in all your chemistry courses and then you realized that you're smart enough to be a doctor? That's an interesting piece of logic.

Anyways, I would definitely wait until april to take the mcat. There is a lot of material to cover and a month isn't enough time. I didn't even think that three months was enough time to study for it.

As for applications, i woudn't submit this year. you'll be waiting for your mcats to come and most schools won't consider your application until they get those mcats. you'll be behind everyone else and your chances are greatly diminished. If i were you, i would wait and do well on my mcat and improve my app for the next cycle.

I have no idea what i was thinking???? I know the GRE has three sections and is scored out of 2400. Just kick me in the @$$!

Whatever the case...take many MCAT sims, use your scoring patterns to direct your studies and put-off your applications until next cycle.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

If I were you Elvis I would have sent my PA app in. It's always good to have a back up plan..
With such a short time to study for this August's MCAT, it's going to get ugly.. You should wait until April, and take plenty of tests in the meantime. The info you gave on how you did in your classes and the GRE don't mean much, even how you did on simulated MCATs don't always give an accurate prediction on how you'll do. Taking the test just to see how you'll do isn't a good idea at all. Even if you don't release the scores, admission commitees will ask you.

By the looks of it, you're trying to be a doctor without the preparation. You should take the time required because it's not as easy as you may think. Namely the application process:

Filling out the application (and sending alot of money for each school you apply to). Getting letters of recommendation, which can take up to three months to obtain (due to busy professors). Secondaries which can cost up to 125-130 dollars a school. Interviews which you usually have to fly yourself to the school. Even if the interview goes well, you might get placed on a waiting list or a alternate list (even if you have good scores). If you don't get in and want to apply again, you have to repeat the above all over again.
Think of the reasons why you want to be a doctor. If the above seems worth it, then go for it. Be ready to take into account the time and the money.

Good luck,
Duke