Approaches to the USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surfns

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read some threads about the USMLE. I do not go to school in the U.S. so I have some questions about it.

1. When is the next test time for Step 1?
2. Should you just go and buy a kaplan set or take a prrinceton review course or is it better to do what others have suggested; have a multitude of high yield books and the FA and Qbook.
3. What kind of review period is necessary?

J

Members don't see this ad.

I've read some threads about the USMLE. I do not go to school in the U.S. so I have some questions about it.

1. When is the next test time for Step 1?
2. Should you just go and buy a kaplan set or take a prrinceton review course or is it better to do what others have suggested; have a multitude of high yield books and the FA and Qbook.
3. What kind of review period is necessary?

J

Most people spend 6-8 weeks of intense studying for Step 1. Some people use Kaplan review type resources (on-site tapes, a couple week long crash course offered in a minority of states at various times, etc), while most pick up FA and a variety of board review type books targeted at their weakest subjects. Everybody uses one or more question banks (Kaplan Qbank, World, etc). I have never met anyone who used the princeton review course for the USMLE.