Approaching Professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HSShouldEnd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking a summer class and my professor is a former MD as well as a professor at a med school.
I want to get to know him and him to get to know me.

How do I go about this? I do not have anything to say lol

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking a summer class and my professor is a former MD as well as a professor at a med school.
I want to get to know him and him to get to know me.

How do I go about this? I do not have anything to say lol

Ask him if you could come to office hours and ask him about his career/for advice on going into medicine.

Well, why do you especially want to get to know him/her? Think about what your goals are and then it will be easier to address them.

The best way (as mmcdowe said) is to just approach the prof and say "My name is ____ and I really enjoy your ____class; I am interested in applying to medical school and I was wondering if it would be possible to meet with you at a convenient time to talk about the medical field?"

Members don't see this ad :)
tell him you'll do anything for an "A".

Kidding, but stinks its a summer course. Loosely try to get to know him and try to take another course with him during the spring/fall.

Our pre health advisor has told us to take a professor out to a thank you lunch once a semester, and this advice has been really helpful. I'm often awkward around intellectual professors and over think all of my words in an office setting, which makes my motives look general and unappealing. However, the two professors that I've really enjoyed this last year, I ask them out to lunch with a few, maybe two, friends at the last class. Eating definitely opens a professor up, especially if you offer to foot the bill. Afterwards, your relationship with the professor becomes much more easy going, and I think it shows that you see them as a good advisor and want to continue a relationship past this class. I think it's sort of rude when you have a professor and contact them months later for a rec, even though you've made no effort to continue a relationship, so kudos to you for wanting to do more than just yank a rec out of him or her!