1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Approaching the Biology Section of the PCAT

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by Sunnyforever, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Sunnyforever

Pharmacy Student
    Hey everyone,

I was just wondering how you all got yourself prepared for the biology section of the PCAT. I'v taken the basic bio courses and pre-reqs and I already have the Kaplan book and im basically studying from that but it seems to be soo in-depth that I don't think I will remember it all. Going with the Kaplan book also has its disadvantages for me because I feel like I have to fully understand each chapter before I can move, which is kinda frustrating as its taking very long to finish

Any tips would be largely appreciated :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dudecoolname

dudecoolname words under my username
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
  4. chemguy79

chemguy79 New Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

It has been stated frequently on the forums that Kaplan is overkill. This should not be a surprise. Put the book down! :D

AP Cliffs Biology book is great, IMO, because the explanations are condensed and it hits on the key points. I focused my studies on that book and scored a 96 in the Biology section which is quite telling because when I started studying 2 months beforehand, I didn't know the difference between meiosis and mitosis, the organelles were words that I knew, but I didn't remember their functions, etc. (I'm a research chemist, so Biology was merely the nagging class to endure in order to get my Bachelor's degree.)

5. harmonidrum

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    While Kaplan certainly is overkill, I wouldn't expect to score over a 90th percentile using Dr. Collins solely as review. If you haven't taken a microbiology course or anatomy or physio the bio section will be kind of tricky. I went through Kaplan's bio section, and although it was definitely overkill, it was a decent review. I think an AP biology review book may have been just as good if not better though, don't waste your money on the Kaplan book, bottom line.

6. thesituation559

thesituation559 Ready for whatever
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I have gone over the dr collins biology. It is a nice REVIEW of everything so it is good to start off with. Now I am going over all these videos. A section a day which takes about an hour. I also write notes on all the sections. It should only take like 9-10 days to do.
    http://www.brightstorm.com/science/biology

This is the link for the videos. For those who have taken the pcat. Do the videos look sufficient enough? Which sections would you stress the most? How important is the plant section? I feel they wouldn't ask a question on the Pcat.

7. chemguy79

chemguy79 New Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I had at least 1 plant question; I remember it because I missed the silly xylem/phloem BS and immediately thought that I bombed the section.

I used Dr. Collins, it helped me out quite a bit with the random mundane questions that I saw on the PCAT. However, to shore up concepts, I used AP Cliffs.

8. thesituation559

thesituation559 Ready for whatever
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Thanks for the response. Yeah I feel like for the plant section it would be a basic question like xylem/phloem, monicot, eudicot. I don't think they would go into detail about plant reproduction.

9. harmonidrum

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    This is primarily what I used Collins for, because I was worried about the possibility of recycled trivia. There may have been a couple questions, but they were only similar to the ones from Collins on my PCAT. I attribute my 96 percentile biology score mainly to having a decent biology background coming into the exam, not Collins or Kaplan.