appropriate application photos??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABSOLUTsher07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is an appropriate photo for the supplementary applications? Obviously I'm not going to post one of me drunk at a bar, but what about with my dog, in my lab, etc... Does it have to be a passport like picture if they're asking you to upload a digital image? None of the applications say anything about the specifics of the picture, just that it has to be in .jpg format. Any ideas guy? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ABSOLUTsher07 said:
What is an appropriate photo for the supplementary applications? Obviously I'm not going to post one of me drunk at a bar, but what about with my dog, in my lab, etc... Does it have to be a passport like picture if they're asking you to upload a digital image? None of the applications say anything about the specifics of the picture, just that it has to be in .jpg format. Any ideas guy? Thanks!

Don't take risks. Keep it straight-laced and simple. Just my opinion anyway. Put on a shirt and tie (for guys) and snap regular pic.

Regular head-and-shoulders headshot. :) It is just for ID purposes anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took a head shot for my pictures. Used my digital camera and got some high quality photo paper and looks just as good as the photographers.

Just remember who will be looking at your picture. If you want to portray an very professional and mature image, then your picture should represent that. Wear something nice and smile.

ABSOLUTsher07 said:
The ones I've seen so far (Columbia, etc. ) asks for a passport photo. so if you can somehow get a headshot with your dog, then go for it :D

Imagine if you had to look at a couple hundred passport photos in a day. That would be pretty boring. I would try to get a picture of me doing a ninja-kick and shrink it to 2"x2". Then the guys on the adcom will be like "woah, this guy must kick ass, he sent a picture of himself doing a ninja-kick". They'll have to admit me after that.

Depakote said:
Imagine if you had to look at a couple hundred passport photos in a day. That would be pretty boring. I would try to get a picture of me doing a ninja-kick and shrink it to 2"x2". Then the guys on the adcom will be like "woah, this guy must kick ass, he sent a picture of himself doing a ninja-kick". They'll have to admit me after that.

:laugh:

You must have really awesome bowstaff skills.

I used one of my black and white senior photos from high school, basically just a head shot. Scanned it in, cropped it to 2" by 2", and then printed it on photo paper. Basically free and I got as many copies as I wanted.

to stand out or not to stand out? that is the question.... i'm thinking that a non-standard issue picture of me with lots of lab mice might get me noticed, but in a bad way?

ABSOLUTsher07 said:
to stand out or not to stand out? that is the question.... i'm thinking that a non-standard issue picture of me with lots of lab mice might get me noticed, but in a bad way?
In all seriousness, they just want a picture of your face/head so they can tell the person they're interviewing is the person that took the MCAT is the person that matriculates.

They also might put that picture in a M1 facebook, so make sure it's one you want everyone to see and know you by. You don't want to be "that mouse guy" for the first 2 months, do you?

Depakote said:
You don't want to be "that mouse guy" for the first 2 months, do you?
It would be an interesting conversation starter :D

If anyone's familiar with Borat, I'm gonna send in a copy of one of his "wife's" photos.

Click on the link to see the application photo contest--
http://www.admissions.lsuhsc.edu/faqs.html#Photos

(Really, LSU-S has just the coolest admissions website around--and funny, too!)

From LSU-S site:
Photographs. Can I send one? Should I send one?
Yes, please. You are encouraged to snail-mail us a current, 2x3 inch photo of yourself for identification purposes. Print your name and AMCAS ID on the back. Think about it ... Right or wrong, your photo introduces you to strangers and makes a lasting impression, so consider investing in a little quality, as if your future might depend on it. Your call.
Photo Contest!!! -- Lighten up! Break the monotony! Pick a winner right now!
Review the actual application photos below and then decide which of them would make:
1) the best impression, and
2) the worst impression.

E-mail us your choices (Subject: Best and Worst), and based on your votes, and your votes alone, the winners will receive some suitable token of appreciation from the Admissions Office. (BTW, these students cheerfully gave their permission in the hope of helping others. Hmmm ... Would you like your picture here next year??? "Best," of course.)

Check out the photocopied yearbook guy. He must have had some stellar stats to go with that pic!

Can I send my graduation headshot pic with my cap and gown on? I like the pic and just dont know if it's appropriate.

southerncomfort said:
From LSU-S site:
Photographs. Can I send one? Should I send one?
Yes, please. You are encouraged to snail-mail us a current, 2x3 inch photo of yourself for identification purposes. Print your name and AMCAS ID on the back. Think about it ... Right or wrong, your photo introduces you to strangers and makes a lasting impression, so consider investing in a little quality, as if your future might depend on it. Your call.

This makes me sad that I'm not a Louisiana resident. Any school with a smart-a$$ adcomm is totally the school for me :love:

Keep your photo simple and effective: two tickets to the gun show!

kelvin81 said:
Can I send my graduation headshot pic with my cap and gown on? I like the pic and just dont know if it's appropriate.
Just use your avatar photo. That should be fine.

browniegirl86 said:
I used one of my black and white senior photos from high school, basically just a head shot. Scanned it in, cropped it to 2" by 2", and then printed it on photo paper. Basically free and I got as many copies as I wanted.

same here...in color though

browniegirl86 said:

I thought most schools requested a photo that was less than 2 years old?

i'd just go with the ordinary headshot. you can do that at home w/ a digicam.

ND2005 said:
I thought most schools requested a photo that was less than 2 years old?

Yeah, but I look EXACTLY the same now as I did then, and there was nothing in the picture to suggest that it was older than 2 years old (no cap and gown or anything like that).