Appropriate things to ask of PD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gentamicin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The PD at my home program "A" knows the PD at another program "B". Both programs A and B are my top 2 choices. I have not interviewed at program B yet, but my PD told me that when I do interview there to have the PD at program "B" call the PD at my home program "A", so that he can put in a few good words (I'm assuming). I'm very much interested in my home program, and the PD told me that I will be ranked high. However, I know there are no guarantees that I will get into my home program since there are a lot of good applicants and very few spots.

What should I do in this situation? I want to ask the PD at my home program what my chances are of matching, but I don't want to seem "pushy". I also would like him to contact the PD at program "B" and put in a few good words but I don't know how I should go about this in an appropriate and professional manner. What should I say? Is it alright to ask my home PD whether he thinks I have a good chance of matching there? Would I appear not interested in my home program if I ask my PD to call the PD at the other program "B", and risk being ranked lower in my home program?

What are your thoughts on this? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same situation, and will be honestly telling both that they are my top two choices and that I would be very happy to match at either program.

Also, Ill be going for a second look at the non-home program in the week before they submit their rank list - so that they know how interested I am and that Im a normal person who plays well with others.

gentamicin said:
The PD at my home program "A" knows the PD at another program "B". Both programs A and B are my top 2 choices. I have not interviewed at program B yet, but my PD told me that when I do interview there to have the PD at program "B" call the PD at my home program "A", so that he can put in a few good words (I'm assuming). I'm very much interested in my home program, and the PD told me that I will be ranked high. However, I know there are no guarantees that I will get into my home program since there are a lot of good applicants and very few spots.

What should I do in this situation? I want to ask the PD at my home program what my chances are of matching, but I don't want to seem "pushy". I also would like him to contact the PD at program "B" and put in a few good words but I don't know how I should go about this in an appropriate and professional manner. What should I say? Is it alright to ask my home PD whether he thinks I have a good chance of matching there? Would I appear not interested in my home program if I ask my PD to call the PD at the other program "B", and risk being ranked lower in my home program?

Thanks

gentamicin said:

Thanks

My feeling is that as long as you express your interest in your home program and clarify that you are just trying to be realistic and have a Plan "B" then is no harm in asking your PD to help you with other programs. After all, as you noted, there are no guarantees, even if you are well liked and have a good application. Any PD would expect, even encourage you to look at other programs and rank other places as well, because no one wants to see you go unmatched.

So tell him/her what you've told us. Best of luck...