Appropriate to wear a coat over suit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JugglesMed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from the South so what do you wear over a suit to go to interviews for places that are super cold in the north? Do you just buy a professional leather coat and wear it over your suit and then take it off when you get in the building? Do med schools have a place to store them?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, you can wear a coat over your suit. A peacoat or similar is popular. There will be places to store outerwear and often luggage too.

I had an interview in a frozen midwestern state and I wore an overcoat. There was a place to put it before the start of the actual interview. It's pretty much expected.

That being said, avoid buying a leather overcoat unless it's camel colored. Black leather overcoats gives off a very 90s action hero vibe and brown can make you look like you're out of a western. If you already own either, don't worry since your interviewer won't actually see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
A great place to pick up an overcoat for super cheap is at thrift store.

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The most common color for trench coats is beige/khaki. Olive green is also an option. I'd say that 90% of trench coats are going to be one of those two colors.

Thanks. Didn’t know if black was an option, or maybe black is mostly for overcoats?

Much less formal. Also doesn't cover your butt. CYA, as they say.

Wat? A trenchcoat is more formal than a peacoat/overcoat? I've never heard anyone say that and always thought that trenchcoats were less formal. From what I've always understood trenchcoats were only meant to be transitional/seasonal wear until it was cold enough to wear an actual winter coat. Maybe it's a regional thing though as I'm used to below zero winters.

I don't think it matters. I plan to wear my huge winter coat if I have an interview in super cold weather and then I'll just take it off soon as I'm in the building. I wouldn't buy a coat specifically for this... although if you plan on living somewhere cold in the future it'll still come in handy I guess.

I found an overcoat for $5 at a goodwill that fits easily over my suit. Came in handy at DMU as it was snowing on my interview day.

Wat? A trenchcoat is more formal than a peacoat/overcoat? I've never heard anyone say that and always thought that trenchcoats were less formal. From what I've always understood trenchcoats were only meant to be transitional/seasonal wear until it was cold enough to wear an actual winter coat. Maybe it's a regional thing though as I'm used to below zero winters.
A peacoat and an overcoat are two different things. A peacoat was designed to be worn on sailing ships and short enough to be able to climb ropes on the vessel. The double breasted style has been adopted by civilians but it is not a garment meant to be worn with a suit. An overcoat comes to the knees and is meant to be worn with a suit.

A peacoat and an overcoat are two different things. A peacoat was designed to be worn on sailing ships and short enough to be able to climb ropes on the vessel. The double breasted style has been adopted by civilians but it is not a garment meant to be worn with a suit. An overcoat comes to the knees and is meant to be worn with a suit.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 288

Those aren't the trousers that are typically worn with a suit. That guy is wearing a tie but his overall look (the trousers and shoes) are far too informal for an interview. Frankly, I never see an interviewee's coat and don't much care but if you are looking to acquire a formal wardrobe that will take you into adulthood, a trenchcoat with a liner is a good acquisition. A peacoat is a good choice for informal occasions when you need a warm coat.

Interesting, I didn't know that history. I realize that a lot of men's peacoats stop at/just below the belt line but I've seen plenty of overcoats called peacoats which go down to mid-thigh or near the knees. Maybe they weren't properly named, Idk and to be blunt I don't really care.

Threads like this always hit a bit of a nerve with me as everyone inevitably enters saying "You have to follow random fashion rule X otherwise you won't be seen as professional". Which I honestly find to be a pretty pathetic mindset when we're supposed to be gauging applicants on their qualifications as a future physician, which last I checked didn't involve fashion sense. Personally, I didn't and don't care if med school/residency applicants show up in ski jackets or a leather jacket if they're wearing a professional suit (notice I said professional, not fashionable).

Imo if they're at least trying to appear professional where it matters then I'm not going to hold it against them if they wear a black suit or where brown shoes with a black belt or a ski jacket to an interview when it's 5 degrees outside. There's far more important things applicants should be focused on than whether they're wearing the right coat to shoes to an interview.

I'm mostly just venting with this comment, not attempting to attack anyone or be overly critical. I've just found myself becoming more and more annoyed and jaded with the process as we talk about finding the best and brightest candidates while simultaneously judging them based on criteria that are irrelevant and then extrapolating their future success and abilities based on an impression from a 30 minute interview that is supposed to represent all of who a person is.

Interesting, I didn't know that history. I realize that a lot of men's peacoats stop at/just below the belt line but I've seen plenty of overcoats called peacoats which go down to mid-thigh or near the knees. Maybe they weren't properly named, Idk and to be blunt I don't really care.

Threads like this always hit a bit of a nerve with me as everyone inevitably enters saying "You have to follow random fashion rule X otherwise you won't be seen as professional". Which I honestly find to be a pretty pathetic mindset when we're supposed to be gauging applicants on their qualifications as a future physician, which last I checked didn't involve fashion sense. Personally, I didn't and don't care if med school/residency applicants show up in ski jackets or a leather jacket if they're wearing a professional suit (notice I said professional, not fashionable).

Imo if they're at least trying to appear professional where it matters then I'm not going to hold it against them if they wear a black suit or where brown shoes with a black belt or a ski jacket to an interview when it's 5 degrees outside. There's far more important things applicants should be focused on than whether they're wearing the right coat to shoes to an interview.

I'm mostly just venting with this comment, not attempting to attack anyone or be overly critical. I've just found myself becoming more and more annoyed and jaded with the process as we talk about finding the best and brightest candidates while simultaneously judging them based on criteria that are irrelevant and then extrapolating their future success and abilities based on an impression from a 30 minute interview that is supposed to represent all of who a person is.

I concur. On the other hand, as some readers here are trying to grow up and acquire a grown-up wardrobe, it helps to have some guidance as to what to buy and what to wear.

Just be thankful almost no one cares about the style of the knot in your tie anymore.
Men’s fashion is all about increasingly annoying levels of minutia.

Don’t forget to order a larger size coat to accommodate your suit jacket. I found out my old topcoat didn’t fit and had to buy a new one (fortunately it got to me in time). It was a black wool topcoat for sierratradingpost, back when they still had great deals. I think it was Ralph Lauren.

I sold the coat when I needed money in med school. I never used it aside from my interview (it was too formal). I didn’t think about whether I might need something for residency interviews...

Fortunately by that time I had becomes accustomed to Midwest winters, so my suit jacket was typically enough.

I will concur with @LizzyM on getting a professional wardrobe now. Having worked in and around physicians and academic medicine for years, I would say there is a strong expectation of being professional including in clothes and that means "conservative" (ie not flashy). My favorite personal example is going a meeting some years ago in a double breasted scotch plaid suit (see example below) and was overly noticed in a sea of black to gray suits. I felt like I was in an Elton John costume compared to everyone else.

MW40_30RA_04_CALVIN_KLEIN_MEDIUM_GRAY_SET

Eh, depends on region and field. I went to a psych conference in the Midwest and most of the docs were dressed in jeans and button downs, so not even business casual. The only people there in suits were the "host" and one of the speakers. At the same time when I was pre-med I helped run an ortho conference in a one of the 5 largest metros in the US and $2,000 suits seemed to be the norm. So depending on the situation ymmv.

The learning to dress professional point is well taken, I only have a problem when the students are actually judeged based on it (which I have had Adcoms tell me they were).

Eh, depends on region and field. I went to a psych conference in the Midwest and most of the docs were dressed in jeans and button downs, so not even business casual. The only people there in suits were the "host" and one of the speakers. At the same time when I was pre-med I helped run an ortho conference in a one of the 5 largest metros in the US and $2,000 suits seemed to be the norm. So depending on the situation ymmv.

The learning to dress professional point is well taken, I only have a problem when the students are actually judeged based on it (which I have had Adcoms tell me they were).

haha, when I was in NYC in the 80s, the urologists always black tie to their evening continuing medical education (CME) dinners.

You will only be judged on what you wear if you wear something that shows poor judgment of the situation. For example, you show up dressed in your Gordon Gekko Halloween costume or in a blue blazer with madras trousers.

Same advice for women?

A knee length coat is always more formal than a hip length coat. Women have more options fashion-wise but more challenges too, as they are usually shorter and more curvy than men. A trench coat with a liner is nice unless it makes you look like a sack of potatoes but fortunately there are other options that can be flattering and cover a skirt suit as well as look good with pants (slacks).