Appropriateness of update/LOI at non-rolling schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iatros9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at a few non-rolling schools back in the Fall. With so much time between interviews and decisions, I feel as though I should express continued interest in these schools.

However, I don't know if my updates are significant enough to warrant a letter (a 4.0 Fall semester and a couple minor research updates). I've also considered sending letters of interest, but at most of these schools I already had an opportunity to express my interest through the secondary application and/or thank-you notes after interviews.

Would it be worthwhile to send a minor update/LOI to these schools, or would it only be a nuisance?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the general consensus is to not send an update if you don't have a significant change in your application (if you're already high GPA-wise, then a 4.0 is not a significant change). I can't comment on the research updates as you were quite vague.

LOIs are a different story and you should only be sending one (be honest about your intent). I think that would be appropriate at this point.

Last edited:
I can't comment on the research updates as you were quite vague.

No new publications or abstracts, but I contributed to a software package over the summer (completed after I submitted my applications) and have been working on a new research project at my university since the beginning of the school year.

LOIs are a different story and you should only be sending one (be honest about your intent). I think that would be appropriate at this point.

There's not a school that I would say is my clear favorite right now (I could probably narrow it down to two). I was under the impression that a letter of intent represents a commitment to matriculate if accepted but that a letter of interest only indicates a strong interest in a school. Would it be inappropriate to send a letter of interest to more than one school?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can send letters of interest to multiple schools, but they probably won't have any impact. Only a letter of intent lets the admissions committee know that you will attend the school if accepted. That is valuable to the med school, since they can keep their acceptance rate low.

No new publications or abstracts, but I contributed to a software package over the summer (completed after I submitted my applications) and have been working on a new research project at my university since the beginning of the school year.

There's not a school that I would say is my clear favorite right now (I could probably narrow it down to two). I was under the impression that a letter of intent represents a commitment to matriculate if accepted but that a letter of interest only indicates a strong interest in a school. Would it be inappropriate to send a letter of interest to more than one school?
I really don't see any harm in it. There is no way schools can fish out that you are sending multiple letter of interests, and I personally don't see anything wrong with it. In the end, medical school is medical school. Many people do have legitimate reasons for wanting to attend a particular school, but really in the end the # of ppl getting into their school is dismally low, so just do it (especially if your in my position where you haven't really heard back from them it cant hurt you) In fact it sort of makes them look at your application again which if you haven't heard anything from them they haven't really been looking it over.

The question should be, what harm will it be even if you send one updating them on what you did, even if it isn't hugely significant? Just combine the loi with the update. If you are updating the schools, it just shows how interested you are.

You can send letters of interest to multiple schools, but they probably won't have any impact. Only a letter of intent lets the admissions committee know that you will attend the school if accepted. That is valuable to the med school, since they can keep their acceptance rate low.
You do realize that we don't believe these "LOI's".

"Non-rolling" schools, in particular, believe that everyone wants to attend their school and have historically had little reason to think otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator: