Approved for Voc Rehab but have questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PressPforPi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attended the orientation today for the program. I was told that due to some network issues that they were having, that no one could really sit down with a counselor today and find out if they were actually entitled to benefits through the program. I spoke with my would be counselor before I left however, and she flipped through my file. She asked me some questions about my career plans (to become a physician obviously) and seemed like she was going to approve me. She asked about tuition costs and informed me that my tuition had to be under $25k/year. I informed her that I wasn't sure that it was. She also spoke about how I had to be out of school to change from Post 9/11 to Voc Rehab. We came up with a game plan that I'd reapply during my summer break. I left feeling ok with that plan as I know this can be a long process.

However, I received an email not long after I got back to class that I was found entitled and enrolled into the program. Now, I spoke with another Voc Rehab counselor that I met prior to leaving the military. He stated that anything over $25k would just have to go to a higher authority for approval. Anyone have any suggestions on how I could reference that information in my response back to my counselor without sounding like a tool? I'm very thankful to have been approved (although I'm still not quite sure how), and I don't want to rub my counselor the wrong way.

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need to be out of school to enroll in voc rehab. If you're already set for GI Bill for the semester, that would simply continue until the end of the semester, at which point having already set up voc rehab, that would then take effect the following semester - just ensure your schools certifying official knows this. I had a semester where I was enrolled in GI Bill instead of voc rehab because of the certifying official not reading my counselors email. Would have been quicker if I had just done it for the initial switch.

Also, that is correct. The amount counselors can approve is 25k. The next step is their supervisor, then regional office (might be 1 more step before or after that last one, I forget). Tuition can be (and often is for med school) above 25k, and still approved. I'm not sure where those numbers are documented off hand as I've not read them anywhere except from other groups/forums.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
She also spoke about how I had to be out of school to change from Post 9/11 to Voc Rehab. We came up with a game plan that I'd reapply during my summer break. I left feeling ok with that plan as I know this can be a long process.

First off, congrats on the acceptance!

Secondly, just to reiterate, you don't not have to be out of school to make the switch. If anything, with no "break" in benefits it would make the switchover much easier since all that would need to happen is labelling any other benefits you qualify for since you are already going to be given the BAH rate from the post 9/11 to cross over to Voc-Rehab. Although the approval beyond the 25k is mandated, that should be an easy approval given your circumstance. Matter off fact I had both my counselor and his next higher up in the same room when discussing my yearly cost being 50k. From that point on it went to the regional office (which now the process of quickly accessing the approval has changed but still relatively quick for most) and less than 3 weeks later I was all set for my schooling.

Thirdly, I would be straight forward in stating that you were informed of additional approval to mediate the 25k cap for your medical school program and wish to know the next step in getting this approval on the way. Literally this is what I said in person without necessary quoting the title and paragraph from their 50 pound guideline of eligibility requirements. This would just be a friendly reminder to expedite the process for your schooling. Whether you get paid or not doesn't really matter, as long as your business / financial office notes you as a Voc-Rehab recipient you will be covered by graduation. I have yet to have my tuition officially "paid" but I stand in limbo awaiting when the time happens. I have been labelled as a Voc-Rehab program recipient by my program and have been waived of any emails and notifications concerning my "overdue-not-really-overdue" payments.

I hope that somewhat answers your question and congrats again.

Thank you, @BC_89 and @MusicDOc124! I actually have been in contact with my counselor via email today. She said she would inquire about getting my tuition approved over the cap next week so that sounds like a step in the right direction to me! She did say, however, that my "plan" wouldn't start until June though since that will signify the end of my academic year. Apparently, it is somewhat common to be told that you need to be out of school to enroll. I met a gentleman at my orientation who had applied three separate times and was told by other counselors that he had to be out of school as well. There are so many different pieces of (mis)information being spread about this program!

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the way I read that is since a typical semester begins in January, and the following year won't begin until June/July/August for med school, that it's too late to enroll you for the current term that already began. That you'd be enrolled via voc rehab in the next term. It's not that you need to "wait" because you're already approved and I'm guessing did, or will do soon, an IWRP.

Thank you, @BC_89 and @MusicDOc124! Apparently, it is somewhat common to be told that you need to be out of school to enroll. I met a gentleman at my orientation who had applied three separate times and was told by other counselors that he had to be out of school as well. There are so many different pieces of (mis)information being spread about this program!

They're making it sound like you need to stop your current benefits and restart again with "new" benefits once you are no longer a full time student. I mean, technically that's true but all it means is when your semester is up, instead of reinstating the Post 9/11, you will just be "moved over" to Voc-Rehab. You're not missing out on anything as far as benefits go (other then getting additional benefits). It's just a simple transfer of eligibility from 1 semester to the next. They probably were thinking you wanted the Voc-Rehab to be initiated NOW for this current semester that has already started.

I concur what MusicDOc stated about your IWRP that you will soon be finishing up: It needs to state clearly your goals and objectives for employment and be stamped for approval sort-of-speak before starting the program (which you wouldn't be able to do at this second in the middle of a semester albeit it is still toward your goal of being licensed after med school).

TLDR; you're not losing benefits just gaining additional benefits. They cannot swap you out in the middle of a semester from one program to the next but they can ACCEPT you into Voc-Rehab in the middle of a semester. Once your IWRP is finished up (took me 1 day) then you'll be ready for the next term.

Oh and if your program requires specific features for a computer / printer bring the syllabus with you so you're covered

So my counselor seems to be kind of hot and cold. I received an email this morning saying that she is discontinuing my case due to me currently utilizing my Post 9/11 at a high cost school which is covered by my current benefits. I responded and asked if she just meant that I wouldn't start the program until June, like we discussed earlier. I received an email back stating that, "You are attending a high cost school and have educational benefits to cover your program. You are eligible to reapply at any time. However you will be reassessed and your program requires a higher approval if your found entitled." So, I was entitled yesterday, but today I'm not entitled due to the cost of my program? She even mentioned getting further approval due to the cost next week. I knew counselors could be hit or miss, but I had no idea this would happen!

I received an email back stating that, "You are attending a high cost school and have educational benefits to cover your program.

The fact that you currently have post 9/11 benefits has nothing to do with an acceptance to Voc-Rehab. Before my approval, I had 100% of my post 9/11 benefits (never used it) at a high cost program to the tune of 50k a year. To imply that they wont approve you anymore due to current use of your gi bill is false (assuming this is what they are implying). This makes it sound like they approved you before really considering the overall cost cap and now want to retreat...the only tie your current benefit has is the time-extension allotted to utilize your Voc-Rehab (ie. 36 months of post 9/11 equates to only 12 months of Voc-Rehab benefits. You cannot go over 48 months of total benefits without being considered an SEH veteran - Severe Employment Handicap). My only thought is that they presume that Voc-Rehab would not actually last long enough to cover your employment goal without being granted an extension.

However you will be reassessed and your program requires a higher approval if your found entitled." So, I was entitled yesterday, but today I'm not entitled due to the cost of my program? She even mentioned getting further approval due to the cost next week. I knew counselors could be hit or miss, but I had no idea this would happen!

Something is missing. Either you've been granted to qualify for Voc-Rehab or not. Seeking higher approval due to cost is common and they never should have given you false hope if they didn't dot their i's and cross their t's. It sounds like your VRC jumped the gun without looking at the whole parameters of your potential entitlement.

Your entitlement to Ch 31 doesn't change due to school costs. They CAN deny the high-cost school, but they can't deny your entitlement in general. They could try to force you to go to a different school or pick a different career but they can't find you as not entitled simply due to being currently enrolled at a high-cost school. Also, as others have said, you don't need to be out of school to be approved. I was attending school and paying on my own dime when I was approved. Your counselor doesn't seem to understand how things work very well and I would probably ask for a new counselor or for a supervisory review.

I agree @BC_89. But I'm not sure why I was entitled one minute but not the next. Any advice on how to proceed?

Based on your brief meeting and email correspondence, there is mis-communication happening concerning your VRC. I do not know if she simply verbally approved you and then withdrew looking at the lay-out or simply overlooked the details of how a transfer works with your current GI Bill. I do not know how far the office is from your location, but I would have a sit-down with the counselor and really communicate the corners of the entitlement and simply ask "Am I Entitled as you say?".

If she does not make it clear as to where you stand in the program I would recommend a request of a new counselor. Them arguing whether you are eligible or ever was eligible should not even be a conversation at this stage.

Reactions: 1 users
Being accepted into Voc Rehab and approved for the physician/med school track are two separate things. I was recently approved for voc rehab but denied for medical school, also because I used up some of my GI Bill. My counselor didn't have an actual regulation to deny me so he just used a generic "uncooperative" designation and he said I'm already employable with my degree (even though I don't have a degree yet).
My opinion: approval is 100% reliant on how your counselor is feeling that day. While I am obviously trying to appeal my decision, the average appeal apparently takes 3 years, so I think I hit a dead end. I hope it works out better for you, as it's the best program to become a doctor, but I suggest you don't get your hopes up until you have an approval in writing to become a physician.

Being accepted into Voc Rehab and approved for the physician/med school track are two separate things. I was recently approved for voc rehab but denied for medical school, also because I used up some of my GI Bill. My counselor didn't have an actual regulation to deny me so he just used a generic "uncooperative" designation and he said I'm already employable with my degree (even though I don't have a degree yet).
My opinion: approval is 100% reliant on how your counselor is feeling that day. While I am obviously trying to appeal my decision, the average appeal apparently takes 3 years, so I think I hit a dead end. I hope it works out better for you, as it's the best program to become a doctor, but I suggest you don't get your hopes up until you have an approval in writing to become a physician.

Ask for a new VRC or a review before appealing, it is much quicker (usually a month) and is essentially like a new lottery ticket prior to fighting the actual appeal

Can anyone send me a copy of their IWRP approved so I can use it on my appeal case? I am in the last months of fighting the whole system to get my IWRP change and approved for medical school or getting denied completely. The appeal board remanded my case, but the same counselors are making it impossible for me. Even not giving me back the documents I sent. So if someone has good copies of IWRPs of current students, past students, etc... I will appreciated it.