Approved leave for job interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How does your program account for days interviewing for your "real" job

• vacation

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • educational/professional leave

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • i don't know, good question

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

kimplera

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you have to take vacation time to interview for post-residency jobs? Educational leave?

thanks,
rk

Members don't see this ad.

Our PD considers it educational/meeting time. In my time here, there has never been resistance to leave for job interviews. It's considered a part of the process for the seniors, and all of the junior residents are very good about pitching in for any clinic coverage that's needed.

Great question, and timely! I'm in the middle of the interview season now. Our program counts interview days as vacation days. As I'll be interviewing at about a dozen places, this will easily tap out all my vacation days for the year. So.... no vacation for me during my senior year as a resident. :mad:

I'm not sure what the answer is here, especially with the ABR, the ACGME and CMS tightening their respective sphincters increasingly each year about documenting every second of a resident's life. But it's a pain in the ass and a significant source of stress to be sure.... :(