approx cost of clavicle repair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigstix808

Mac Daddy Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, i have a pretty wicked clavicle fx (exact words of the radiologist :)) that is in 4 pieces. the ortho said surgery will prob not be neccessary (i find out on the 4th of march - 2 months post accident) but if it came down to it, how much does this type of surgery cost? i know there are all types of factors that come into play with that type of loaded question (using a pin or plate with lots of screws, anaesthesia, etc), but if anyone knows a range for this type of surgery would be awesome. i've got the xray pics if anyone wants to see :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Was this a cheerleading accident?

It depends on too many factors to give an accurate range, including the hospital, the surgeon, the hardware, etc. If you are paying out of pocket, you are likely looking at thousands.

Was this a cheerleading accident?

It depends on too many factors to give an accurate range, including the hospital, the surgeon, the hardware, etc. If you are paying out of pocket, you are likely looking at thousands.

thanks for a reply :)...

No cheerleading this time (had plenty of those though – broke thumbs, fractured zygomatic arch, damaged cartilage in knee, shoulder, and wrist, and back problems of course :(). Anyway, I was snowboarding out in Colorado. The ER doc suggested that I check out one of their ortho's out there because they see that kind of fracture all the time, but I know my ortho here in GA personally (shadowed him for a number of years - I have even seen the surgery he would probably do using the plate and screws, not the intramedullary pin method) and so he saw me that Monday 1.5 days after the accident :D. I do have insurance, not great, but it is saving my hind (80-20; 500 deductable).

I think I'm more concerned with the effects of having an "un-normal" clavicle union (with a huge knot and about ~3 mm shortening of the bone according to the x-ray) because I am so active – I’m a personal trainer, hiker, kayaker, rock climber, etc and I don't want to have to give up ANY of my normal hobbies/activities. My doc says that if the bones do join, there shouldn’t be any problems post-healing. I've read the literature that says that unioned clavicle breaks have no/minimal effect of ROM or function once it has healed, but at the present moment I'm not too sure about that. I mean, ~8 weeks post accident (today), I can grab the bone(s) and "jiggle" it slightly, but can’t come close do moving the other one (the non-fractured clavicle). I have been able to do 100% sprints, chest flies (light weight of course), and back workouts (moderate weight with smooth movement), but lifting using the deltoids as the major muscle, and any kind of bench press, hurts like hell. I’m guessing that is from the minor glenoid fracture though (yea, there is one of those too – haha). Anyway, here are two camera phone pics of my x-rays if you’d like to take a look….
x-ray 1 - x-ray 2

Members don't see this ad :)
dude,

you have a 100% displaced clavicle fracture with significant shortening and are an active individual. where i come from, i was taught to fix these. there is no shortage of literature to supprot this. start with this JBJS jan 2006 article: PMID: 16391247

if i was you, i'd find someone to fix it and i'd pay whatever it cost. you're however long out now, so i dunno where that leaves you

ps. save up to get the hardware removed so you don't post later crying about your clavicle plate. it WILL bother you, so just plan on (save for) getting it out

also, you're gonna have a lil scar if you get a plate, so i hope that looks ok with your tan and summer muscles....

bigstix808

the surgeon's cost for the operative procedure is probably going to be around 1-2 thousand. the big cost comes in the implants and OR. ball park number for everything, 10,000.

as far as fixing clavicle fx, the literature is beginning to move towards more operative intervention for highly displaced fx. indications are: open, tenting the skin, multiple injuries, nonunion with persistent pain. relative indications are shortening greater that 2 cm, the Z-fracture (what u have).

if this is your non dominant arm and you are not an overhead athlete, it is probably ok. if it is your dominant arm and the fracture approaches 2 cm of shortening, i would learn towards fixing it because of how it may affect shoulder mechanics.

btw, that fx pattern is common and not that wicked :)

also, you're gonna have a lil scar if you get a plate, so i hope that looks ok with your tan and summer muscles....

i'm glad someone has jokes...:laugh:...i only put the x-ray pics on that site because i didn't know any other way to post em - don't hate...haha.

anyway, thanks for the input guys on my "potential" investment:confused:. well, i went back today for another x-ray. he'd still like to wait for surgery, but he said that there was not much shortening of the bone (~2-3 mm) which is why he didnt think functionality would be an issue (as of this point it really hasn't - my glenoid fracture hurts more than the clavicle). i have almost 100% ROM now and can even strech my arms over my head with weight (not much of course). i figure i'll wait it out 3 more weeks and see (it'll be about 3 months at that point). if he still says wait and see, i'll prob go get another opinion from another ortho group just to see. ( new x-ray 1; new x-ray 2 <--both taken on a blackberry so they are not "picture perfect")

oh yea, how much is it to have the plate taken out?? does it have to stay in there long??

oh, just for arguments sake, i just got out of my appt with awesome news...there is "spindling" between the two big pieces now and my weight baring capcity is up 2-fold from 3 weeks ago :D basically...NO SURGERY!

(well, i'll go get it smoothed down later on, but you get the idea)