April 05 or 06?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subzero0174

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys quick question. I am a junior bio major. Im in Orgo 2 and Bio2. I have not taken any biochem or upper level bio whatsoever. I just got my kaplan practice mcat back today and I scored a 26(9P 9V 8B). Although I did not study one minute for this test, I realize that I am at an advantage cause I am still in organic. Do you guys think that I will forget most of my orgo by next april to take the mcat? I dont really have time to study at all for this april, as I have 15 hard hours. I may have a little time this time next year just because Ill be done with chem for good. Do you think I will be able to review and bring myself back up to speed in orgo? Basically if you were in my position would you take it now or next april? THanks
PS I am shooting for a little over 30.......

Members don't see this ad.

i'd go with next april.. even though you did OK on the kaplan diag, without the undergrad background classes, you may find it hard to get a competitive score.

I'd say the perfect time to take it is when you are finishing up Ochem and/or biochem classes.. physiology is also a good class to take.

my 2 cents anyways

put in a thought to take the aug 05....see how much upper level knowledge you can fill in yourself and I'd atleast give that at try.....sure upper level courses help your understanding....but this fresh knowledge of chem and bio and orgo plus physics I hope....itz a good bet...I'd say look into that aug if you think you can handle the upper level course content

I have taken AP Physics in high school and Physics 111 and 112. I have also taken all 4 calculus (I was an engineering major for 3 semesters). I have heard that most med schools dont like for their applicants to take the mcat in august. I have also heard that it is much more difficult due to the scale. I am also trying to get some research done this summer. I guess I will just suck it up and take it in april 06. Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad :)
subzero0174 said:
Hey guys quick question. I am a junior bio major. Im in Orgo 2 and Bio2. I have not taken any biochem or upper level bio whatsoever. I just got my kaplan practice mcat back today and I scored a 26(9P 9V 8B). Although I did not study one minute for this test, I realize that I am at an advantage cause I am still in organic. Do you guys think that I will forget most of my orgo by next april to take the mcat? I dont really have time to study at all for this april, as I have 15 hard hours. I may have a little time this time next year just because Ill be done with chem for good. Do you think I will be able to review and bring myself back up to speed in orgo? Basically if you were in my position would you take it now or next april? THanks

Take it now---you can always improve.....schools will take your best score

Biochem isn't needed for the MCAT

subzero0174 said:

It all depends on when you want to start medical school. Do you mind taking a year off and do you have an idea of something to do for that year? If you don't mind taking a year off and don't feel you'll be prepared by this April, then take it next April (or this August if you'd prefer). If you really want to start medical school straight out of undergrad, however, then you have to take it this April. It is not a good idea to take it in August and apply the same year.

The most important thing is to take it when you are going to be the most prepared. You are actually not in terrible shape if you are getting a 26 diagnostic with over a month to go. It is certainly possible to work up to above a 30 from there. But if you really don't have the time to put into it, then you are better off waiting. If you can find a way to make the time to improve over the next month or so, then it's probably worth it. The upper level classes may help improve your understanding of the sciences, but they aren't necessary. If you can put some true effort into the studying, I would say to take it this April. Remember that next April will be your last semester of undergrad when a lot of your friends will already have jobs and so they will be living up the college life. If that's something that you're going to want to be doing with them instead of studying for and taking the MCAT, then you might want to get it over with before then. If you don't care, however, and truly can't put the time in to improve your 26 between now and April, then focus on doing really well on your classes and take the MCAT in the future.

Good luck!