April 16th MCAT Debrief/Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarolinaGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well it is finally over and I just feel numb. Don't have any idea if I did well enough but I am trusing that to God ;)

Okay for those who want details:

PS: pretty similar to aamc 8-10 no surprises. I think I had more physics than chem though :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

VR: Hard. Long passages and LONG questions. Some were really dense and abstract feeling (could just be how I felt in the midst of it). I ususally finished with about 5-8mins left but today I had 30 sec. left, lol.

BS: 3 great BS passages on physio stuff:love: then 2 orgo passages :confused: and 2 weird bs passages on monkeys and plants, and geneitcs :confused: :thumbdown: I had not seen stuff like this before on the practice suff.

Overall, who knows just have to wait 30 days and see what the damage is.

Members don't see this ad.

actually I am in India and that is where I took the test from. I started here at 12pm today the 16th but since I am 10.5 hours ahead of eastern time I guess I was the first to finish. I decided to go ahead and start a thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it true that MCAT has different test forms for the test on the same day?

Carolinagirl, thanks for the feedback. I'm taking my test in like two and half hours and I am really scared. Now that i know, i guess i'll review some of genetics and physics. lol

Sounds VERY different from our April 12th test-- except for the long verbal thing.

I wonder if they are the same for a single day... I mean, jeepers, talk about an advantage-- especially for the writing section... if you don't get a T with hours to prepare, something's wrong!

Took the CBT. I think I feel pretty good about this one.

PS: 90% chemistry!! YAY!!!! I think I completely dominated this section

V: Not to bad

B: 3 hard passages. 2 organic passages I think I got completely right. 2 mediocre/easy passages.

We'll see in 30 days.

hi guys, I just got back from it and I felt like I bombed the verbal. I just did not get a real good feel for any of the passages :thumbdown:

But, I thought the bio and physical sciences were pretty easy, bio especially. I thought the AAMC 3-10 bios were all harder than that one. Physical science on this exam seemed on par with physical sciences of the other AAMC exams. Verbal to me kind of felt like AAMCs 10s verbal, of which I did bad on :laugh:

Maybe it's just me, but I thought everything was pretty rough. It feels like the MCAT kicked me in the face :confused:

PS and BS were no where near as bad as I thought they'd be.

VR-eh. Sucked. Then again, verbal is my weakest point.

I hope these 30 days fly by. Until then, I turn 21 on Friday so bring on the much needed social interaction! :)

i thought PS was the hardest, bio was fairly easy and verbal was easier than usual....i probablly should have voided cause i took it with a sinus infection and i felt like ****. does anyone know if i decided to call mcat tommorrow and ask to get it voided if they would do it or not.

i thought PS was the hardest, bio was fairly easy and verbal was easier than usual....i probablly should have voided cause i took it with a sinus infection and i felt like ****. does anyone know if i decided to call mcat tommorrow and ask to get it voided if they would do it or not.

Get it scored if you think 2 of the 3 were fairly easy.

my highest practice score is a 28. 10 in PS, 9 in verbal, 9 in Bio.....PS is usually my best section, and im pretty sure i blew it. I probablly hit the 9s in bio and verbal if im lucky, and i def. went down in p.s....so what do you think now, should i void it now...that is its its even an option at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt it was difficult.:( I dunno. It's a relief to be over with, but I fear I'll be among those retaking it some time over the summer.

::sigh::

I just finished writing my MCAT...30 minutes ago...upon leaving I was informed that I was going to be written up (as in an official report to be given to AAMC)...during my break before the final biological sciences section...I went to my locker...after taking a sip of my drink I took my phone out to check my text messages...the lady in the lounge asked me what I was doin (she was sittin about 2 feet behind me...with nothing and no one in between us)...I was like "oh checking my messages.." she asked if it was a phone and I said "yes"...once I said yes...I actually realized what just happened and that cell phones were not to be taken out!!...I even showed her immediately after she asked what was on my screen...then I put it away...

I wasnt prepared to be told after finishing the test that I was going to be written up...I broke down and cried...I felt like such a criminal...even though nothing like this has ever happened to be before...I never had as much as one thought of doing anything wrong...I cried the whole entire ride home...and I'm still crying!...typing while the tears roll down....

I've been eating, breathing, dreaming, living the MCAT's for the last 3 years of my life...it consumes my days and nights...and for everything to come crashing down in 10 seconds is making me want to leap off a bridge...

please someone...please tell me something...anything...what is AAMC going to do? void my scores? how are they going to view such a report...how is this report going to read? has this messed up my chances for med school?

i should be crying about how hard the test was (cuz it was extremely hard and stressful)...instead...im stuck crying and stressing over this

i couldnt be wait for this day to be done with...to be done with the stress and the worrying and now it's even WORSE!!!! :confused:

I wish I could explain how I feel right now :( :(

Well it is finally over and I just feel numb. Don't have any idea if I did well enough but I am trusing that to God ;)

Okay for those who want details:

PS: pretty similar to aamc 8-10 no surprises. I think I had more physics than chem though :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

VR: Hard. Long passages and LONG questions. Some were really dense and abstract feeling (could just be how I felt in the midst of it). I ususally finished with about 5-8mins left but today I had 30 sec. left, lol.

BS: 3 great BS passages on physio stuff:love: then 2 orgo passages :confused: and 2 weird bs passages on monkeys and plants, and geneitcs :confused: :thumbdown: I had not seen stuff like this before on the practice suff.

Overall, who knows just have to wait 30 days and see what the damage is.

i think i had the same test. i thought the last verbal was pretty hard and the monkey and genetics passages were tough.

overthinker2--that really sucks, good luck with that!

i dunno about you guys, but i thought the PS was def. harder than the practice exams and that the verbal was a lot easier. some of the bs questions were hard...

and damnit!! i dunno what i was thinking when i put down that air density doesnt change with altitude!!!!! :rolleyes:

Well I just woke up and still don't have any relief from the mcat. I guess part of me feels better that is over but all I keep thinking is it is over and I don't think I did well enough.

I guess it is time to pick our selves up off the floor the mcat kicked us too and move on with our lives at least for the next month :scared:

Maybe we will get a great curve on several of the test sections since it seems that many of us thought it was difficult.

Just a quick question,

Does this CBT MCAT have experimental passages and/or questions? I remember reading somewhere (MCAT Essentials...) that it does have experimental passages. I hope it's the case with some of the VR.
icon9.gif

Just a quick question,

Does this CBT MCAT have experimental passages and/or questions? I remember reading somewhere (MCAT Essentials...) that it does have experimental passages. I hope it's the case with some of the VR.
icon9.gif

I recall something similar to that.

F***, the more I think about it the worse I feel I did on it...

Might be time to reasses my choice of career.

Here are my thoughts....first off, the CBT was WAY better than taking the paper based exam. I thought the format was organized and I believe it helped to eliminate stupid errors such as transferring and shifting on the scantron.

PS: Like old practice tests...some hard questions but nothing unusual.

VR: This is a crapshoot. I finished and I am happy.

BS: I also felt like this was comparable to old practice tests.

Overall, it felt like CBT 10, doesn't mean that I did well, but at least I didn't feel like crying on my way out the test center. And for that, I am happy. Good luck everyone!

So... quick question..

does: I = (# of particles)*(charge/particle)/(change in time)?

shouldn't you guys all be taking a chill pill or a beer?

nevermind, i forgot I was talking to pre meds :rolleyes:

some of the physical science passages were challenging. i thought only the last bio passage hurt. verbal reasoning was most painful. at 7 min left i had 3 passages remaining.

side note: so for vr i exhausted all the kaplan section tests (7 passages, 40 questions, one hr long like the real thing) did 4 verbal section tests in ek 101. still during the aamc cbts i would score so 2 (with a tummy ache) to 7 at best. i'd say the averages for vr section were closest to 5. once on my earlier exams i scored 10 for vr on kaplan full length #6. the highest composite score i got was 27, with more recent ones 23-25 (bs and ps usually 9's or 10's). my premed advisor recommended just biting the bullet.

i painfully threw away $200+ and voided it. what are your guys thoughts? anyone know the next time i can take it? i heard someone say something about speed reading class. anyone know the most effective?

I thought the PS was pretty typical. The bio sciences was slightly harder, but not much. The verbal was wayyyy harder in my opinion, and I ended up guessing on the last question. I never had to do that on the practice CBTs. Im not feeling too great overall, mainly because of VR. The passages were longer than practice tests. I would advise people to practice with kaplan vr passages because they are longer.

I agree with the consensus that the VR sucked. Big time. I have always hated that section with a passion anyways. Overall I thought this one was tougher than the CBT tests that AMCAS offered. Good luck everyone. It's going to be a long month waiting.

I don't know, I went out and drank and celebrated but when the booze came out of my system doubt began to fill it. I know that i for sure missed at least 4 questions in bio and thats not including the guesses. And what was with that verbal passage with copyrights and whatnot...i din't even realize what was going on until the third to last question! Please curve, please help me out!

I know you guys will most likely not believe me but EVERYONE feels like crap after the MCAT. I cried on the way home. Please try not to dwell too much on how you felt you did because, IMHO, it's very hard to predict.

:luck: to you all!

Yea I really have no idea whether I did well or not. It is just so hard to tell, however it does make me feel better that most of us agree for the most part about the difficulty of each section.

I also think I might have been making a bigger deal out of it than normal when I had to guess or when I got one wrong. You guys know what I mean?

yeah i definitely agree with all of you guys about the uneasiness you feel afterwards. i even started contemplating registering/studying for the mcat at the end of may because i wasn't so sure on how i did this time around. i guess all we can do now is wait.

I know you guys will most likely not believe me but EVERYONE feels like crap after the MCAT. I cried on the way home. Please try not to dwell too much on how you felt you did because, IMHO, it's very hard to predict.

:luck: to you all!

I feel your pain!! I felt so depressed after the exam. I just felt like I worked so hard for so long and still didn't feel confident in the end. Let us all pray that the curve will save us.. I knew all the material extremely well but nothing could prepare me for this. :(

I thought the PS was pretty typical. The bio sciences was slightly harder, but not much. The verbal was wayyyy harder in my opinion, and I ended up guessing on the last question. I never had to do that on the practice CBTs. Im not feeling too great overall, mainly because of VR. The passages were longer than practice tests. I would advise people to practice with kaplan vr passages because they are longer.

I totally agree. The VR was way harder than the practice CBTs. I'm kinda of freaking out about the VR. I thought everything else was okay: Bio I thought was fine and PS was eh...a little tougher that I would have liked but probably all right. VR...i'm scared. :scared:

This totally makes me feel better. I though the VR was really hard as well. Combined with the fact that my neighbor skipped his breaks and started the writing section early which seriously distracted me. Those keyboards are NOT quiet. I was already frustrated with it and only had 10 minutes left then all the noise from the keyboards of all the idiots skipping their breaks. This is frustrating.
Bio was hard but I think I got it, we'll see what happens with physics.

BTW, my testing proctors were very lenient. Nobody watched me do anything while on break. I went out to my car both times pulled out the coke and granola bars and started snacking. I really don't understand why other people skip their breaks. Do they think this test is easy or something? I was the last one to leave the testing center and left a long review on how crappy I though my testing center was. Ya, I paid over $200 to take an exam in a strip shopping center with a mexican restaraunt next door on a 10 year old computer with a bubble tube flickering monitor. Seriously this is unacceptable.

I was the last one to leave the testing center and left a long review on how crappy I though my testing center was. Ya, I paid over $200 to take an exam in a strip shopping center with a mexican restaraunt next door on a 10 year old computer with a bubble tube flickering monitor. Seriously this is unacceptable.

I left a short and curt review about how the flickering monitor gave me a headache and was EXTREMELY distracting. It was making me have flashbacks of euro-trash nightclubs that I went to when I was studying abroad. pissed me off.

Do you know if everyone had to put up with the 15 year old, off white, dirty monitors that flickered in your peripheral vision?

It makes you not want to look away from the screen. Totally gave me a headache.

It would piss me off to hear if there are any test takers out there who got to look at a nice new LCD flat screen monitor.

there was a guy at my testing center who registered right before me who came back out and asked to be placed at another computer before he started b/c his was flickering. the proctor grudgingly switched him, but most of the room was also empty so there were more than enough other computers.
that does sound incredibly obnoxious that you had to deal with that the whole time though.

1)lakes on mars have viruses or bacteria.

2)in your mouth you have TB or gingivitis.