1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

April 2003 MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by exigente chica, Oct 30, 2002.

1. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

I was just wondering who is taking the test in April, to get a list going.:D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For real, we all should start banning together and sharing tips/advice. Let's get this party started right....:clap:

I am reading over my TPR notes now and my friend's kaplan books along with EK audio osmosis CD's. Right now I am set on taking the EK course in Feb.

Study harddddd!!!!:mad:

4. latinfridley

7+ Year Member

The j-rod will be taking the MCAT in April.

the j-rod

5. square

square Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm on target for the 2003 test. keep me in the loop as well...

abiff

6. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For those studying- How are you studying? Are you reading bio then physics or do you alternate daily/weekly?

Is anyone a retaker (like moi)?

7. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

count me in too guys :oops: i will be taking TPR starting at the end of January (in Boston). Right now I am actually started to study for the verbal as I want to work that section a lot so i can almost guarentee that i won't mess up big time. then i will probably move on to physics/gen chem and merry my way on to bio/orgo. what fun times i should have!! we must stay together in this crucial period of the pre-medical journey!! :D

8. Count me in...I'm going over the basic sciences, and a little of the verbal now, but by the time Jan rolls around, I plan on steppin it up! Keep me up to date!:D

9. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Im taking the 2003 test too.

Im starting TPR on 11/16. I wont hit it hardcore until this semester is over. I'll just be doing my TPR homework.

10. Charlie

Charlie Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm in it for this April as well.

Taking Kaplan in January

11. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to the site and I think its great. I'd like to be put on the list for April. And I am a retaker who needs as many tips as possible. Also can anyone tell me how the Audio Osmosis CD's are? I am not sure if they are worth the money.
    Thanks

12. isidella

7+ Year Member

I really enjoyed the AO CDs. I treated AO like a prep course, (listened the the lectures, took notes.) After that, I listened to it again and again at my leisure. I also took every AAMC practice test. I think AO made all the difference in my score and I am very happy with my performance in August.

But one of my friends used AO too and did not score any higher on her retake. Maybe it wasn't her learning style, or maybe she didn't REALLY listen and just had it playing in the background for months.

Good luck with your prep!

13. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks so much isidella. Does anyone else have any remarks with regards to the Audio Osmosis CD's?

14. well my two cents? if u are the kind of person that likes to read, then just buy the books, i bought the CDs in july and i havent even opened them yet, on the other hand i have been studying. if u have no science bakground then the CDs are useful to build on but if u already have the science background then u should just buy the books to brush up , go more in depth on the topics or just practice.

i already sold my CDs so i wont be using them, but that deoesnt necessarily mean u might not find them useful, i think it really depends on how well u can utilise them, even though they should not be used as a substitute for the normal books. this is just my opinion :)

15. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Your opinion is greatly appreciated immediatespring. I do have a science background. Just wanted something different besides the books. I have the books and have been doing a lot of reading. The problem is my commute to work everyday is about an hour and a half. And carrying the books is not fun or easy. Especially in the hustle and bustle of Manahattan, NY. So I wanted to try the CD's hoping they could alleviate the carrying of the books. However, I don't want to waste money that I don't really have. Just got married in August and had 425 guests at the wedding. So right now the budget is tight just want to make sure the money is being spent in the right place.

16. hey dph201 i totally understand where u are coming from, that was also why i bought the CDs , to study between classes and even at work, i think effectively using the CDs just depends on ur concentration span, i like jotting things down when i study so using the CDs when walking or commuting was totally out of the question and well i thot i could use them at work, but snood got a hold of me :D, and before long, i just started humming along with the CDs, i did listen to the first biology Cd, but i have the science backgorund so i already knew everything they were saying and then it just got boring, if i had listened to all the CDs maybe my opinion would have changed or i would have learnt something, but geez it just kept getting worse.

but many people have sucessfully used the CDs so honestly this is just my opinion, i think if u plan effectively and say okay i am going to study for the mcats for 3 hrs today, and u do that, and u keep to ur schedule, then u wouldnt necessarily need the CDs or u could just use them as back up.
    maybe u should try studying with the books for now, and if u find out that u really need the extra studying, or maybe if u are not learning as much as u would like, then u could try the CDs.

welcome to SDN by the way, and good look with ur marraige plans!!!

p.s add me to the april 2003 mcaters list:D

17. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got the AO cds and I listened to them while I was in the car and as an extra review of certain materials I didn't quite understand. they were helpful in certain circumstances but overall I dont believe they did much to improve my score.

I found myself getting more annoyed with the music and some of the jokes.

18. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have the AO CD's and I think they are great for brushing up on the extra stuff that I don't quite understand.

What you can do is go on their website and order a sample CD. When u get that, you can decide if you will benefit from the CD.

Some say they listen to it in the car but I don't know how they do that. WHen I listen to it (30mins per night) I am sitting down and concentrating on what they are saying. I can't imagine driving and trying to listen to what they are saying.

19. square

square Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm a repeat taker. i'm starting kaplan myself on the 16th. i work full time, so i usually do a few verbal passages during the day and study the sciences at night. i try to alternate so as not to get bored. make sure to find out what your weaknesses are and work on them. take all of the practice tests offered too. i also spend alot of time on the weekend doing more problems and/or practice tests. hope this helps...

abiff

20. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey bushbaby I took your advice and I ordered the AO CD sample. Hopefully it will be good. Have figured out a study pattern yet. A co-worker and I are doing bio and physics together first. That way we don't put bio on th back burner like we did for the last test. What we do is we try to read two chapters from each subject and discuss it. It was working but staying late after work is not fun. So now we are studying on our own again. But we are still keeping to our routine. hopefully that will work for you. But I more than welcome to any other study ideas out there.

21. solid snake

solid snake Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Add me to the list.

Haven't study much for MCAT lately. Concentratingon Ohysics and Organic right now.

When I have time, I'm trying to build up for the verbal section by reading stuff. But starting winter break to April, I'm going to start studying really hard for it, doing a whole bunch of practice exams.

Have any of you guys check out e-mcat? There's a membership thingy for about $80 and you get access to I think Practice MCAT test 3,4,5,6. Good deal then buying them $40 a piece. You can also print them out and send them in so they could score.

Sup exigente chica!! How ya been? :)

22. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

Well, I have to EK books, and I am taking the TPR class which starts in like 2 weeks..

Glad, to see everyone here...stay in touch thru-out the year..

HAppy studying:clap:

Hi, solid snake, physics is killing me, but orgo I love:love: How are u doing?

23. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey haven't heard from anyone on this list. Just wanted to see how studying was going. Ok for me just trying to jam pack everything in my head. Hope everyone is doing well

24. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ahhh studying sucks. I am up to my neck in Gchem material. I hopefully will study that for another 2-3 weeks before moving on to Orgo.

25. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Amen to the STUDYING SUCKS, Bushbaby!!! While you are struggling with the Gchem, I am beating myself up trying to get through physics. Oh how I hate physics. Any suggestions how to make phyics a little more pleasant.?????

26. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Dph201,

WHich physics books are you using? I found physics interesting except for the torque part. I still need to go over them and also fluids and sounds.

27. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

right now i am using kaplans physical science review notes and the NOVAS MCAT physics book. I am in the process of purchasing the AO cd's hoping that will help.

28. solid snake

7+ Year Member

What are you guys using to go over Physics stuff? I find the Physics review of the big red Kaplan book unhelpful. Know of any good Physics review material? Has anybody seen Examkracker Physics book? Is it any good?

Hey exigente chica. I hear ya. Physics sucks. I'm barely pulling a B. Your Physics class curves right? You should be ok if it does. Organic is aiiight. But it clicks once you do lots of problems.

solid snake

29. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker
    7+ Year Member

For the combination of insightful text and good passages in one book, I find the BR physics materials hard to beat. EK may have slightly better text, but the passages and realistic questions in BR make the book more useful to studying. But no matter what, the good news is that there is a lot of good physics material out there. Now as for verbal, that's a completely different story.

30. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey there is a thread based on choosing the right physics book. So far there seems to be a unified vote for the EK physics book. Has any one here used it? What did you think?

31. SnudgeMuffin

SnudgeMuffin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow, everybody here is so dedicated. I haven't even started studying, yet. BTW, what do you guys think about the changes made for April 2003 MCAT? I am glad they got rid of some of the Orgo stuff (no more benzene, phenols, alkenes, and ethers!), yay!

32. solid snake

7+ Year Member

They should get rid of some Physics question. Keep the Orgo stuff.

33. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

seriously..orgo rocks:clap:

34. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think its dumb. Very few doctors use ANY physics, and most of it doesn't even come up in med school classes either from what I hear. At least organic is important in pharmacology and biochemistry, but I dont see any med school subject that requires a ton of physics (especially EM).

35. JulianCrane

JulianCrane The Power of Intention
    10+ Year Member

I totally agree. Physics is evil!

36. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You guy's suck. Keep the physics ditch the orgo:clap: :clap: :clap:

37. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey Dr. Wall Street had a good idea. He suggested that we have an online study group. What do you guys think?

38. MedQuest

MedQuest Da Truth
    7+ Year Member

This is a cool idea. How are you guys studying?

39. Dr. Wall$treet

Dr. Wall$treet Membership Revoked
    Removed

hey guys, ya i posted this in a seperate post but what i did last year is i had a friend who had moved away but we both were doign mcat so we kept in touch on IM, and got to bitch and whine to ease the studyign hell! but if one of use came into a problem mostly on chem, ochem or bio, physics is har dto explain on IM. But we would just explain stuff to each other or if one of us ran across something weird in a prac. test or in our studying wed IM each other the info..etc.. it was good kep us motivated and always helps to epxlain stuff. if you have some other ideas lte me know.. my IM is sleepyca31 ok let me knwos

40. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dr. Wall street count me in. Pm me

41. Hello,
    I am retaking the MCAT in April and I am going to start studying for MCAT starting this weekend. I ordered EK Study Package today and i think it will come in a week or 2, so till then I will use my PR material.

One angel of a SDN member and a friend sent me her Audio Osmosis CDs for free. Thanks so much!! I cannot even begin to express my gratitude over this generous offer. :) :)

42. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Guys,
    I need help. I don't want to study. I need some motivation. I am feeling overwhelmed. Anyway how is everyone else doing?

43. mp119

mp119 Junior Member

Which do you guys think is better between Kaplan and Princeton Review... either from personal experience or from friends' opinions?

44. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The people I know who took Kaplan (including me) are pretty happy with their scores. I went up +8 from my diag so I was pretty happy.

45. isidella

7+ Year Member

Here's some!

Just stapel your butt to that chair. Get yourself a timer, some practice tests and some prep material. When you get to AAMC 5 or 6, know the test will be second nature to you!

So you're four hours into some serious torque and SN2, take a break, get a cup of ice cream and chill.

Then get back to work! Cause Isid is out there tellin' you to get your butt in gear, because she needs some cool SDNer classmates.

Good luck April 2003 MCATers!!!! PM me if you need to chat. :love:
    Isid

46. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok Captain

47. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey if ochem is your weakness and you can do that, its great. If I didn't have to work full-time believe me I would sit in on a physics class. I say do it if you can.

48. sarah_viola

sarah_viola Member
    7+ Year Member

I'll be taking TPR at Tufts in January. Was someone else?

49. bengreenfield

bengreenfield Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yup, I'm taking the Aprils, and I'm gonna start studying over Christmas break, then take some practice tests over the months before.

*And* keep trying not to use a calculator during my physics exams...that's the hard one.

Later,
    Ben

50. LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey,

I'm in for April also. I'll be taking PR in January and have gotten the Kaplan Comprehensive book and the EK Physics book so far. My semester has been rough so I am not going to seriously start studying until winter break. Does anyone know of a good book for General Chem? Should I go with EK for that too? I feel I really need to work hardest on that and Physics. Thanks and good luck to everyone :)

Peace.

51. MedQuest

MedQuest Da Truth
    7+ Year Member

What subject are you guys working on. How long does it take you guys to complete a subject. Just curious. i am wrapping up physics.