April 2003 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exigente chica

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering who is taking the test in April, to get a list going.:D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi folks,

I have all the EK stuff, AO CDs, Study Guides and 1001 Questions, plus an old set of Kaplan review course guides. Going through them slowly, but focused mostly on surviving OrgChem evening course I'm taking a local CC. Figure that is a great review after a 15 year break from undergraduate science classes.

Anyway, love the EK material, but not sure how it prepares one for the real thing. Need to start Physics and get a practice test or two under my belt before Xmas.

So how's this online study group thing work?

I am not sure how this online thing IS suppose to work but at least we know that there are a group of us here taking it in april so we can have some support group.

So dar I have finished my Physics, Gchem review. I will start my orgo review after my midterm this weekend. Since they took out a bunch of orgo section, studying orgo shouldn't take that long. Hopefully by mid december I can start reading for bio.

I have EK books,TPR books and Kaplan books (from my co-worker). What I do is read the TPR science reviews (writing notes in my composition book) then I read Kaplan (inserting extra notes into my comp. book) just too see what Kaplan has to say on the topic.

WHen I am done with the kaplan/TPR review books (by mid Jan)..then I will start my practice exams(with Kaplan and EK bookds). I plan on taking EK course in feb.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow you're good Bushbaby. I am slowly going through bio and physics. If anything I will be done with bio first. I just bought some EK books and I have my old kaplan books. Was trying to get the 1001 books but came across a problem. So still in the process of buying them. And I am not sure if I am going to take the EK course. I just don't want to spend all that money.

Originally posted by dph201
Wow you're good Bushbaby. I am slowly going through bio and physics. If anything I will be done with bio first. I just bought some EK books and I have my old kaplan books. Was trying to get the 1001 books but came across a problem. So still in the process of buying them. And I am not sure if I am going to take the EK course. I just don't want to spend all that money.

You are in NY? I am taking the EK in brooklyn...join meeeeeee:clap:

I have the 1001 books (which u don't get even if u take the course, you only get the review books I believe..I might be wrong).

I am doing bio last because it's just too much and it's all reading anyway. My classes end second week of dec...so from there on I can just read, read, read...about 3hrs per night. At that rate I can be done with that hopefully in no time.

Originally posted by BushBaby
You are in NY? I am taking the EK in brooklyn...join meeeeeee:clap:

I have the 1001 books (which u don't get even if u take the course, you only get the review books I believe..I might be wrong).

I am doing bio last because it's just too much and it's all reading anyway. My classes end second week of dec...so from there on I can just read, read, read...about 3hrs per night. At that rate I can be done with that hopefully in no time.

That sounds great ,but Brooklyn is to far. I'm in LI. But maybe we can get together closer to the test in the city and study. I work in the city so its a little more convient. I am reluctant to pay more money for another class because I have done it 3 times already. I took Princeton Review during my junior yr of college and stopped because I was overwhelmed with school and personal circumstances. I got most of money back, but they still kept some of it. I then took a kaplan course while I was living in NJ and paniced before the test. Just couldn't take it. Then I finally signed up for Kaplan again because princeton was too far, and I didn't know about examkrackers. This time I took the test in April 2002. So I have put a lot of money out and just a little reluctant to put another lump some now. Especially now, that I just got married in August. I am still a broke!!!!

Originally posted by dph201
That sounds great ,but Brooklyn is to far. I'm in LI. But maybe we can get together closer to the test in the city and study. I work in the city so its a little more convient. I am reluctant to pay more money for another class because I have done it 3 times already. I took Princeton Review during my junior yr of college and stopped because I was overwhelmed with school and personal circumstances. I got most of money back, but they still kept some of it. I then took a kaplan course while I was living in NJ and paniced before the test. Just couldn't take it. Then I finally signed up for Kaplan again because princeton was too far, and I didn't know about examkrackers. This time I took the test in April 2002. So I have put a lot of money out and just a little reluctant to put another lump some now. Especially now, that I just got married in August. I am still a broke!!!!

You just got married...sorry about that...LOL...I AM JUST JOKING....:laugh: :laugh:

Anyway I completely hear you about the cost of these prep classes. I took TPR ($1200) and chickened out on exam day. I paid to take it again ($600) and took the mcat in april 2001. Applied with that score, got waitlisted. Now I am taking it again in 2003 and I guess I might as well put my all into this. I didn't want to take Kaplan and EK sounds promising.

Regardless of which course you take or don't take...I think 89% of the work is work that must be done on YOUR OWN. So even if you don't waste money on the prep, u can still do well. You already have the material. My thing is just getting as many practice exams in there as possible. I can't wait for Jan, when i really starting getting into this. I am really motivated/determined. I hope I don't fall asleep like I did while taking the mock mcat with TPR:laugh:

I agree. Regardless of what prep course you take 90% falls on you. All the courses have to offer is practice tests. I took Kaplan. Must admit it worked out well since some of the questions from Kaplan appeared on the MCAT...that freaked me out...But i got a 27 so I need to take it again..and that 27 did come from Kaplan. I learned alot but there is only so much you can learn in 60 days. Ill be taking the exam in april.

Believe me I know that 90% of the work has to come from me. That is why I don't want to pay for another course. I can do this by myself. But like you said Bushbaby, I need to take a lot of practice tests. And I know that was my down fall the first time. I was so worried about making sure I knew everything that I didn't take enough tests. Right now I have six exams and I plan on getting at least 7 more. Hopefully this will make a difference.

Agree with the 90% too. I signed up for the MCAT and Kaplan course last summer but chickened out (well changing jobs, dependants and states did have something to do with it).

This time I am considering one of the Kaplan online review courses. The self-paced lectures might be more to my speed (skip the easy/boring stuff). And my wife is in her 3rd year of online Law School via Kaplan's Concord School of Law. She has done great with the recorded lectures.

Plus, EK doesn't offer classes on the other coast ;)

John

PS Listening to you folks I'm feeling way behind already!

Originally posted by jgrady

And my wife is in her 3rd year of online Law School via Kaplan's Concord School of Law. She has done great with the recorded lectures.

WOW WOW WOW...online law school? Kaplan?

Give me more info please. When did this start? Is it reputable? so many questions I have...

Just look under Concord Law on Google. I don't have the link handy, but it's easy to find.

As for quality, she likes it a lot. She gets streaming lectures from top professors around the country, and since she was one of the first few classes it only costs about $5k a year including some test (baby bar and bar) materials. It has gome up in price some, but still a really sweet deal if you want to be lawyer. She won't get into a top firm or clerkship, but she's an Accounting MBA and wants to do corporate tax so it's perfect.

Four years part time and her classmates are Congressman, rural city mayors, a Motorola Controller stationed in Toyko, etc. The plan is she'll be paying my way through Medical School; tit-for-tat you might say.

John

Hey jgrady,
don't feel that bad about being behind in the studying. Its still a little early. I only started early this time because I am trying to do things completely different from when I took it the first time. Hoping the change in study pattern will result in a change in score. And two thumbs up for your wife. Do you think she would mind paying my way through med school (just kidding)

Hey Bushbaby,
At John's Hopkins you can get your MPH online. So its something to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to see what progress you guys are making with studying. are you guys just reviewing all the material now and plan to do passages later on. When do you guys plan to start doing passages. I wrapped up physics and i am working on biology.

Hello,
Well tentatively add me to the april MCATers list. I want to write it then, I've wanted to start studying for it this term but my course load has been too heavy :eek: . Hopfully things will improve in january and I'll start studying then.

I am also planning to take April '03 MCAT. I have started studying Organic,because I am taking Organic I class now. I have collected all the materials that I need. I am planning on completing my review by the beginning of next semester and I have also signed up for a review class.

I HAVE STARTED STUDYING A FEW NIGHTS A WEEK. I WAS TOLD IT IS NEVER TO EARLY TO START STUDYING. I TOOL ONE PRACTICE TEST AND AM NOW GOING BACK AND REVIEWING THE KAPLAN 2000 REVIEW. IT IS AN EXCELLENT REVIEW BOOK! THEN I WILL TAKE MORE PRACTICE TESTS TOWARDS MARCH.:oops:

MOST OF THE COMPUTER PROGRAMS I USE FOR WORK ARE IN CAPS, AND WHEN I WRITE MANUSCRIPT, I GET COMPLAINTS ON THE ILEGIBLITY OF MY WRITING WHEN I DO NOT USE CAPS.

Holy got your stuff together batman. I'm taking orgo now, and I haven't really even decided which (Kap/TPR) to sign up for. I'm planning on April '03 MCAT. But it seems like Kaplan already started?! I guess it's time to spring into action. Anyone in the NoVA area want a study buddy?

Add me on the list. I think we should creat 5 new threads. MCATBio, MCATchem, MCAT O-chem, MCAT Phys and MCAT Verb. What do u guys think about that ?

MCAT study Update. So far today i have done Homeostasis and The Nervous System. How is everyone else coming along? I should be concentrating more on the physical science topics.

Hi guys,
Count me in. I'm a re-taker as well (although I am currently applying as well- odn't ask me why I am wasting money I don't have!!). Did really badly the first time, and am not so confident this time. I took most of my pre-med classes my first year in college and I graduated in 2001-- so it feels like it's been forever since I did any sciences (I was a policy major). People always say that "things will come back to you." Nope!- not in my case. I remember names of things like the 'right hand rule' or 'Bernouilli's (sp?) equation' but I am relearning it now- no coming back to me here. I have the Kaplan books I am going through and I've been doing the EK 1001 physics questions (getting most of them wrong!- yikes!) Seems like most of you here are on the ball- it's a motivating thread (....when I don't feel like I'm way behind everyone) good luck on everything guys, and I'll be here !

BTW- anyone in the Chicago area want to get together and go over problems or questions together- a study group sort of thing? Square- you and I have been in touch (I'll PM you) I'm studying on my own here and feel things would go a lot faster and better if I dicussed the questions I had at the end of the day with someone else. Is there a thread here to ask each other questions, maybe specific problems on EK or Kaplan that we just don't get- which might indicate we have not truly grasped the concept? I just read that we might start section based threads- mabe this is where we could ask questions? What do think?

-bondgirl

Originally posted by bondgirl
BTW- anyone in the Chicago area want to get together and go over problems or questions together- a study group sort of thing? Square- you and I have been in touch (I'll PM you) I'm studying on my own here and feel things would go a lot faster and better if I dicussed the questions I had at the end of the day with someone else.
-bondgirl

Hi,
I am in the chicago area. But i will be starting to study for the MCAT during the winterbreak.

:)

-Drlady

Dr.Lady,
I'm up for winterbreak. I'll PM you. Good luck with finals!

Count me in for april 03. Although, given my lack of EC's and clinical experience, I'll probably chicken out and wait till april 04.

BTW, just started Kaplan on nov. 16.

Put me on the list of students about to get a lesson in what stress really is ;) ......syke, but forreal i'm takin it too in Apr 03 too:

Hey
I am taking the Princeton hyperlearning course this Jan in Boston. BU to be exact- anybody doing the same?

Hello,

I'm in for April also...
Not taking a prep course, I'm pretty motivated to study on my own. Scared S**tless though! I have a full course load, research, volunteering etc. Do you think I could get congress to pass a bill making all days 36 hours long?????:rolleyes:

Good Luck to all of us

Hi, I'm new to the forum and also am taking the April 2003 MCAT. I'm a graduate student at BU Medical, if anyone is around and would like a study buddy, I'm up for it ;)

I'm pretty nervous about it, I sort of lost the whole test-taking mode when I started grad school... :scared:

I have the Kaplan comprehensive review, and the EK books for Physics, Chem and Orgo. I also just got the AAMC test packets at ebay. I have no idea where to start, can you tell???

I can't afford a prep class, so I guess I'll be slavin' on my own... Ugh.

i have said this before-so sorry to bore those of you who have heard it before...but...i was told by a med stud who taught the kaplan review course that if you are self motivated just use the kaplan comprehensive prep book. mine was only$50. better than the $1300 kaplan is now wanting!

Originally posted by Bostonienses
Hi, I'm new to the forum and also am taking the April 2003 MCAT. I'm a graduate student at BU Medical, if anyone is around and would like a study buddy, I'm up for it ;)

I'm pretty nervous about it, I sort of lost the whole test-taking mode when I started grad school... :scared:

I have the Kaplan comprehensive review, and the EK books for Physics, Chem and Orgo. I also just got the AAMC test packets at ebay. I have no idea where to start, can you tell???

I can't afford a prep class, so I guess I'll be slavin' on my own... Ugh.

What department are you in? I'm in the Pharmacology Dept. I will be using EK too for April '03. If you're interested, maybe we set up a study group.

Originally posted by BobbyDylanFan
What department are you in? I'm in the Pharmacology Dept. I will be using EK too for April '03. If you're interested, maybe we set up a study group.

I'm in the pathology department. If you know of other people who would want to study, let me know. It would be helpful to review stuff together, plus I have all the aamc tests that I can share with you guys. Keep me updated!

I have one update for you already. The deal with EK is this: After I tried to get them to Boston for the full review course, they compromised (since it was too late to set up the full course and cause not everyone knows about them already) on giving some (hopefully more than one) test reviews. They are probably going to send one of their top experts down, Jordan Z. The deal will go something like this: You take a proctored test (i'm assuming AAMC) on Friday, then on Saturday & Sunday he will go over parts of the test and concentrate on concepts and expecially how to look at the MCAT questions so that we get to "know MCAT". The review will cost but to me it would seem to be very advantagous to a self-study plan. I'll see if I can locate others looking to study!

Originally posted by BobbyDylanFan
I have one update for you already. The deal with EK is this: After I tried to get them to Boston for the full review course, they compromised (since it was too late to set up the full course and cause not everyone knows about them already) on giving some (hopefully more than one) test reviews. They are probably going to send one of their top experts down, Jordan Z. The deal will go something like this: You take a proctored test (i'm assuming AAMC) on Friday, then on Saturday & Sunday he will go over parts of the test and concentrate on concepts and expecially how to look at the MCAT questions so that we get to "know MCAT". The review will cost but to me it would seem to be very advantagous to a self-study plan. I'll see if I can locate others looking to study!
Sounds good to me, keep the Bostonians posted!

Count me in. April 2003 first time. I am going through all the material first, until I know it cold, then doing as many practice questions/exams as I can!

Hello all,

Count me in for the April 2003 MCAT. So far I've started with GCHEM review and Physics (my oldest coursework). I'll then proceed to Orgo followed by Bio. I've already started Verbal and will sandwich that between my science review.

I'm using TPR's test prep (all 7 or 8 books). I'll also have Kaplan's Big Red Book, along with Kaplan 45. I'm considering buying EK's verbal, physics and orgo 1001 questions. What do you guys think? Are they worth it? I'm wondering if after going through TPR's science workbook (tons of passages and questions) and their four full lengths followed by Kaplan's review and full length and the AAMC full lengths if that isn't enough material (besides is it humanly possible)?

This semester I'm only taking one post bacc course (Neurobiology) and working full time (genetic research), so hopefully with my light schedule I can devote a lot of time to studying. Wish me luck! And the same to everyone participating in this thread, WE CAN DO IT.

Hey all. I'm also taking the April MCAT and unlike all of you dedicated pre-meds, I haven't started my studying. I'm enrolled in Princeton Review which starts when I get back to Berkeley the week of Jan 21. This semester I'm taking 10 units total--Physiology, Biochem and a Peace & Conflict Studies class. I'm looking forward to studying for this test though... it's gonna be quite an experience. Any advice on how to jump right into reviewing?

Hey Nak... I am taking the Princeton Review course as well. I am very lucky that my parents forked over the $1300 or so that it costs to take the course, but I think it will be worth it in the end. I learn a LOT better when I am (basically) forced to do it. I know a lot of people that took the course last year and said it was definetly worth it and they all did decent on the MCAT. I'm looking forward to starting the class. Anyone else that is or knows about this Princeton Review Classroom course, please post your comments or PM me, thanks guys!!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL! :clap:

Count me in for april. The reason is that I think it is better to get a jump on it and the application. anyone doing just EK.

Good GOD it's January already:eek: :eek: ~4 more months.

Let's get kracking and start studying guys.

I am will start my bio reading/review this weekend and hopefully in 2weeks I can start taking practice exams.

Started studying tonight and should begin Verbal practice in three weeks. wow four months untill the real thing.