APRIL 2015 GUINEA PIGS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aryias

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Anyone know they're taking the MCAT in this month and know what they're going to study with?

Any advice offered I guess?

My study book plan seems to be like this:
TBR 2014 books
TPR psych/soc 2015 edition
EK critical reasoning 9th edition
EK psych/soc 9th edition
AAMC Official guide book

The new EK books come out October 1st...so I was going to wait and get those!

Anyone have any particular advice? What do you guys think about Kaplan books?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a good plan with getting the new EK books and then using older materials too. Most people don't know that MCAT materials usually get revised sparingly, new information almost never finds its way into the books until years and years later if it's a major change (take for example when the genetic code was cracked). Of course, with the new MCAT having new subjects, this is different but I'm saying, the old material is still extremely relevant. So publishers often just change a few things here and there, correct a few errors and -- voila, it's a new book!

Reactions: 1 user
Full time? I only ask because I mean...how're you gonna study for the MCAT while taking classes/doing EC's?

Hi, I'm also a Theater minor. So even though I'm a full time student..my schedule is really lax. I have 2 science classes and 2 Theater classes (fun classes yay) And I don't want to retake again..took it once..kinda sad about it but am determined not to retake. When i'm determined...I change my study habits a lot. I'm also assuming if I start now with something say verbal and practice that a lot from here on out then I can do it. I also find that with this test it's not a huge emphasis on knowing the info (some questions are..yeah I know that) but it's about the practice as well. The more practice you get the better you do is what I hear :/ So I guess it just takes the guts to try! Just going to practice a lot.

Also....I guess that's also why I've been on SDN more often! It's great to see how other people are doing and getting advice :]

I think you have a good plan with getting the new EK books and then using older materials too. Most people don't know that MCAT materials usually get revised sparingly, new information almost never finds its way into the books until years and years later if it's a major change (take for example when the genetic code was cracked). Of course, with the new MCAT having new subjects, this is different but I'm saying, the old material is still extremely relevant. So publishers often just change a few things here and there, correct a few errors and -- voila, it's a new book!

Thanks! Good to know! I just hope I get enough practice by the time April comes around!

Hey! Anyone know they're taking the MCAT in this month and know what they're going to study with?

Any advice offered I guess?

My study book plan seems to be like this:
TBR 2014 books
TPR psych/soc 2015 edition
EK critical reasoning 9th edition
EK psych/soc 9th edition
AAMC Official guide book

The new EK books come out October 1st...so I was going to wait and get those!

Anyone have any particular advice? What do you guys think about Kaplan books?
Good plan, any FL's? I heard only 1 will be available.. how unfair. :(

Good plan, any FL's? I heard only 1 will be available.. how unfair. :(
For the FLs, I think I plan on using the old exams at first probably not all of them..some of them, but I hear Next Step Tutoring will have about 5 of them out (from the MCAT 2015 Discussion Forum) and TPR currently has 3 of them. Also aside from the practice exam that AAMC is releasing, they're releasing some other thing of questions that we can look at. Yeah it's not fair that we don't get an abundance of materials D; but the review companies will hopefully have their share of FLs.

Also, Khan Academy has some practice passages that we can look at as well! So go take a look at those if you haven't already.

Next Step Tutoring has a book that has psych and soc practice passages/questions that you can buy for practice. I'm not sure how good they are or it is...but the practice is useful I think.

I am planning to take the new format in April also. I am planning to use the following: AAMC official quide with online access practice questions, AAMC official guide, AAMC Practice tests, PR Psychological/social/biological foundations with access to 3 free exams, and older materials-TBR books, some TPR books (verbal) and previous PR PTs. My content foundation will be based on using TBR books. I work FT thus I will be studying PT...preparing 5-6 days a wk for 3mths.