lightblueskies

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2012
Status
Hi everyone. I'm trying to decide between April 24 and May 22 for my MCAT. I will begin studying January 10, and will be able to devote 3-5 hours a day, 6 days a week, to studying. I will probably take a total of 9 days off from studying during this time. I will apply to medical school in June 2014.

The obvious advantage to taking it on May 22 is that I'll have almost a month more of study time. However, even taking it in April will give me a little over 3 months of studying, which will probably be adequate.

However, there are 2 important reasons I want to take it in April:
1) God forbid, if I get a score less than I'm aiming for, I'll get my score back late May, so I can retake the exam in June/July, whereas if I got the lower score after taking the exam May, I'll get my score back late June, and not be able to retake until August at the earliest, probably. Obviously, retaking is bad in both situations, but it could be an application breaker if I don't score high enough should I take the May 22 exam.
2) If I take it on April 24, my application will be ready late May, i.e. ready for a submission as soon as the application opens in June. If I take it in May, my application will be waiting in June for my MCAT score to come back.

I was almost certain about taking it May 22, however, these two factors have been causing me to to change my mind and want to take it on April 24. I feel confident about doing well on the MCAT, but I am just trying to take cautious measures. However, a trusted and wise friend and medical student told me that I should take it in May if I want the extra study time, and that I need to get out any thoughts of not acing the exam my first time around. And if any less-than-ideal score should occur, then I will still have time for a retake and I can plan appropriately then. However, after seeing a couple of my very intelligent and exam-smart friends not do as highly as they wanted on the MCAT, I have a bit of caution and worry that I've never really experienced in the face of an exam before.

Any advice my friends? Thanks.

Reactions: chancemd
Sep 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd say book it on April then if you feel not ready, you can always postpone. You should never walk into your exam feeling not prepared.

plus if you score in your desired range, and god forbid you end up with a score that you do not expect, it is probably do to your anxiety and stress, so next time you book your exam, it doesn't need to be after 2 months

Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Agree with the comment above..

A side question, would taking the exam on May 31st be too late for the application cycle of this year? Do all schools wait until July to look at the files? Would switching from May8th to May31st make a huge difference ?

OP
L

lightblueskies

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2012
Status
I'd say book it on April then if you feel not ready, you can always postpone. You should never walk into your exam feeling not prepared.

plus if you score in your desired range, and god forbid you end up with a score that you do not expect, it is probably do to your anxiety and stress, so next time you book your exam, it doesn't need to be after 2 months
Thank you for the excellent advice. I agree with your logic. I'll be in a pretty bad situation if the May exam goes poorly, and I think now till April is quite sufficient in terms of study time. Knowing it's in April will really cause me to buckle down - which ironically can make one do better with less study time!

I just want to know if there are any votes for the May exam, and for what reason, or does everyone agree to book it for the April exam? I plan to book it tonight.

Thank you again.

DoctorCupcake

5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Agreeing with the comments above. April seems like a better option. It's better to schedule it early and be able to postpone it, rather than schedule it late and regret it.

randythabeast

5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I also feel thats a good adequate time. I am taking it the same time. We can definitely ace it y'all. Im taking the TPR course is there any advice so I can make the most out of the Prep course?