April 30th looms, how are decisions going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BombsAway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Personally super stressed with making the wrong choice. As a pre-med, I never pass up the chance to exercise my neuroticism. That being said, how's everyone making their choices? Beyond cost, p/f, and location, what's on your list?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Personally super stressed with making the wrong choice. As a pre-med, I never pass up the chance to exercise my neuroticism. That being said, how's everyone making their choices? Beyond cost, p/f, and location, what's on your list?
cost, cost, cost, did I mention cost, and cost?

I'm still waiting on fin aid from my two top choices, since their timeline for need/merit applicants is a little different. Fell in love with one school, but very scared that it won't be affordable.

Reactions: 1 users
You have duty Saturday.

I have already made your choice for you. One of us. One of us.....again, I suppose.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Cost and happiness (support systems or fit or location) >>>>>> anything else, this is the only piece of advice that has universally stood out from all my soon-to-be-resident friends as well as the more seasoned vets on here

That being said, it's way harder to turn down the prestige factor than I thought it would be :oops:

Reactions: 2 users
Cost and happiness (support systems or fit or location) >>>>>> anything else, this is the only piece of advice that has universally stood out from all my soon-to-be-resident friends as well as the more seasoned vets on here

That being said, it's way harder to turn down the prestige factor than I thought it would be :oops:
yeah, that's for sure. What else do you have on your list for tie-breakers?

For me, pass/fail curriculum and a collaborative environment were important. Weather and location were definitely considerations. Thankfully I got down to two schools that were almost identical to each other, with only minor differences. Financial aid and merit scholarships were the tie breakers, so I'm drafting withdrawal letters today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I can't make a decision lol. 2 schools have superior location and are cheaper than the most prestigious school which I also like a lot and know I would be happy there..

Here's to procrastination!

I can't make a decision lol. 2 schools have superior location and are cheaper than the most prestigious school which I also like a lot and know I would be happy there..

Here's to procrastination!

My only waitlist is a school that is more prestigious, but in a location I *really* don’t like. 99% sure I’ll be attending the school I love in a location I love, even if i get off the waitlist. It’s tough to turn that down, though!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Many people may not agree, but I really wish I only had one acceptance, that way the choice would be made. I'm way too fickle for the privilege of multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 24 users
Many people may not agree, but I really wish I only had one acceptance, that way the choice would be made. I'm way too fickle for the privilege of multiple acceptances.

The peasants in the waitlist support thread would not be able to bear such a burden.

Reactions: 14 users
There are no wrong choices. All paths lead to the MD. If all else fails, location location location, and maybe cost if there’s a significant difference.
I’ve lived in nice climates and not so nice climates. Nice weather is definitely better!

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason, "fit" is what's stressing me out the most. Interviews and second-look weren't enough for me to feel absolutely sure about fit. Most interviewees I met at my interviews weren't all that pleasant and to an extent I don't blame them. Some people weren't all that personable at second-look either, though! What do you make of this?

fine, i will trade with you if you insist

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone want to message me and help me decide?
I think I narrowed it down to two schools. PM me if youll help!

I volunteer as tribute

Anyone want to message me and help me decide?
I think I narrowed it down to two schools. PM me if youll help!
As a future, mentor or student consultant. Pm me if you need any help, i will help you narrow it down for sure.

oh my God ..... I am SO stressed about making a decision. I keep flip-flopping between the last two schools where I'm holding acceptances.

Reactions: 7 users
Follow your heart. That is what I did when I was in your shoes two years ago, and I couldn’t be happier. I love my life, I love my school, I love my city, I love my patients, and I love my classmates. Whatever your gut tells you, do it. I went against all advice and I have never doubted my decision for a moment.

Everyone keeps talking about cost but that’s not even my major factor. The cost of attendance difference between two schools I’m looking at is just under 50K after 4 years. I see no reason to freak out about that much money when I’m going to be in 250K+ debt. Am I missing something here because 1 years worth of resident income (not even attending) salary doesn’t bother me that much especially since I’m single and plan on being so in med school + residency. I was told by residents and up that cost should only be a factor if a school’s tuition is close to or more than 2x as much, or if you have significant debt prior to medical school.

Last edited:
Everyone keeps talking about cost but that’s not even my major factor. The cost of attendance difference between two schools I’m looking at is just under 50K after 4 years. I see no reason to freak out about that much money when I’m going to be in 250K+ debt. Am I missing something here because 1 years worth of resident income (not even attending) salary doesn’t bother me that much especially since I’m single and plan on being so in med school + residency. I was told by residents and up that cost should only be a factor if a school’s tuition is close to or more than 2x as much, or if you have significant debt prior to medical school.
That's very you-specific. For lots of people that are choosing between State-U and Private-SOM, the differential is often ~30k/year vs ~60k/year. Coupled with the power of compound interest at a ridiculous 6%, that's a huge difference.

I woke up in the middle of the night, and it hit me that April 30th is no longer a month away like it used to be :eek:

Reactions: 13 users
Are people really waiting until April 30th to make decisions? I've been doing it as I go so that I only ever have more than 1 school for a couple days. Maybe its because I've worked in high pressure situations but I dont think its hard to go through the various factors and just make a decision. Fortunately if we're on this thread we're not one of the unfortunate ones still without an acceptance, but its selfish to make them wait as long as possible for a possible waitlist acceptance. After the experiencing the stressfulness and anxiety associated with waiting of a somewhat successful cycle, I can only imagine how tough it is to go through an unsuccessful cycle.

Reactions: 19 users
Are people really waiting until April 30th to make decisions? I've been doing it as I go so that I only ever have more than 1 school for a couple days. Maybe its because I've worked in high pressure situations but I dont think its hard to go through the various factors and just make a decision. Fortunately if we're on this thread we're not one of the unfortunate ones still without an acceptance, but its selfish to make them wait as long as possible for a possible waitlist acceptance. After the experiencing the stressfulness and anxiety associated with waiting of a somewhat successful cycle, I can only imagine how tough it is to go through an unsuccessful cycle.

First off, get off your high horse. I don’t know why anyone expects waitlist movement before traffic day. Second, if I want to procrastinate that’s not your problem - what’s selfish is still holding multiple acceptances after established date.

Reactions: 7 users
First off, get off your high horse. I don’t know why anyone expects waitlist movement before traffic day. Second, if I want to procrastinate that’s not your problem - what’s selfish is still holding multiple acceptances after established date.

No, that isn't selfish, thats against the rules. Nobody said a word about what people do or do not expect. We fully expect 22 year olds to be lazy and immature in regards to handling their business. It comes with the territory. I simply made a point about how thinking beyond your immediate bubble impacts others. Obviously you disagree, which is fine.

*It should be noted this doesn't apply to those still waiting on financial packages or other important information.

Reactions: 8 users
That's very you-specific. For lots of people that are choosing between State-U and Private-SOM, the differential is often ~30k/year vs ~60k/year. Coupled with the power of compound interest at a ridiculous 6%, that's a huge difference.

I feel as if going by tuition only can be deceiving. What if the 60K school is in a significantly cheaper location? I think if cost is a big factor then every aspect that contributes to it should be taken into account. It’s easy to compare apples to apples but then you forget everything else.

I feel as if going by tuition only can be deceiving. What if the 60K school is in a significantly cheaper location? I think if cost is a big factor then every aspect that contributes to it should be taken into account. It’s easy to compare apples to apples but then you forget everything else.
Fair enough.

For me, pass/fail curriculum and a collaborative environment were important. Weather and location were definitely considerations. Thankfully I got down to two schools that were almost identical to each other, with only minor differences. Financial aid and merit scholarships were the tie breakers, so I'm drafting withdrawal letters today.
Wait... we have to have letters to withdraw?

Wait... we have to have letters to withdraw?

Coincidentally, none of my schools have withdrawal buttons. And the deans have been in contact, so I feel it should be personal. Jealous of those of you with withdrawal buttons!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Coincidentally, none of my schools have withdrawal buttons. And the deans have been in contact, so I feel it should be personal. Jealous of those of you with withdrawal buttons!

That's actually really interesting, how were you able to establish a rapport with the deans??? I don't think I've even made eye contact with the ones from my acceptances let alone communicated over email with them

It may behoof you to try to leverage that to see if any of the other schools will match your Wake scholarship!

Yes, everyone please be like this man and think of the unfortunate ones who only have waitlists and are dying to hear back from their schools for an acceptance. Heh n-not that I'm one of those poor souls, j-just being considerate you know....

Reactions: 10 users
Yes, everyone please be like this man and think of the unfortunate ones who only have waitlists and are dying to hear back from their schools for an acceptance. Heh n-not that I'm one of those poor souls, j-just being considerate you know....
All schools accept more students than actually enroll, so almost nobody gets off the wait list until after April 30th. What amazed me was how long the movement took. I got off my final wait list two weeks before school started.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

I set my deadline this past week, so I could make sure all my ducks were in a row before April 30th. I panicked, postponed the decision as late in the day as I could, told my parents, and then went to bed an hour early because I was so done with the day. I sent out the withdraw emails this weekend, but maybe once the schools respond and it's "real" I'll feel more comfortable about the choice... :oops:

This joke might land better if I wasn't the only one of the two of us holding an acceptance. Try to stay on topic people.

That's actually really interesting, how were you able to establish a rapport with the deans??? I don't think I've even made eye contact with the ones from my acceptances let alone communicated over email with them

It may behoof you to try to leverage that to see if any of the other schools will match your Wake scholarship!

They just happened to be much more involved with all applicants - I’m actually not in touch with any others. I am pretty sure have tapped out the financial services at this point - it feels weird to think I’ll be going to the one school I thought was not a possibility.

Don’t lose hope, everyone - stranger things have happened!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Finally making the detailled spreadsheet with numbers and the breakdowns of the different schools. One of the more depressing things I´ve done recently.

Finally making the detailled spreadsheet with numbers and the breakdowns of the different schools. One of the more depressing things I´ve done recently.
I did the spreadsheet, and it helped determine the top two out of my options, but the top two were a dead tie, even after factoring in location, cost, etc.... god speed ;)
Just location and opportunities for me.

FULL LOANS HERE I COME
Bruh SAME. My mantra I keep telling my parents is that "I'm good enough to get in, but not good enough for merit scholarships" :laugh:
It's not a complaint, it's just the truth.

Also, can confirm that after hearing back from my withdrawn schools today, I do feel mildly less angsty. Good luck all!!

This joke might land better if I wasn't the only one of the two of us holding an acceptance. Try to stay on topic people.
But....the joke RELIES on the fact that only one of the two of us is holding an acceptance....I don't think you got it.

Reactions: 5 users
But....the joke RELIES on the fact that only one of the two of us is holding an acceptance....I don't think you got it.

Nope I didn’t. I do now. I’m a dummy.

1oa077l.jpg

What do you guys think about a school having it’s own hospital vs a school doing rounds at community (maybe teaching) hospitals?

I’m in complete denial about the whole thing. I’m normally pretty proactive about things but have just been strolling though life pretending April 30th isn’t happening...
upload_2018-4-23_20-26-11.gif

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I've now begun to draft withdrawal letters (just because I am trying to be classy about this, thanks for the tip!) and I can't seem to get the "it's not you, it's me" cliche out of it :help: