April 30th looms, how are decisions going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've now begun to draft withdrawal letters (just because I am trying to be classy about this, thanks for the tip!) and I can't seem to get the "it's not you, it's me" cliche out of it :help:

I didn’t realize it needed to be more detailed than “Thank you for the acceptance. Unfortunately, I will not be attending this fall and am withdrawing my acceptance.”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I've now begun to draft withdrawal letters (just because I am trying to be classy about this, thanks for the tip!) and I can't seem to get the "it's not you, it's me" cliche out of it :help:

Oh my gosh, I keep describing mine as "it's not you, it's me."

Reactions: 2 users
I didn’t realize it needed to be more detailed than “Thank you for the acceptance. Unfortunately, I will not be attending this fall and am withdrawing my acceptance.”

Same, I’m basically saying

I’m grateful for the opportunity to attend but have chosen a school that is a better fit for me.

Sincerely,
Leopold

My guess is they get a TON of emails everyday and if it’s not something they need to get back to the person about, why make it waste time. I’m guessing they are super busy this time of year and probably burnt out before having to start all over again.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also something could be said about being concise and not stringing a school along with a long letter about why you’re choosing someone else. I think that’s pretty classy, short and to the point.

Reactions: 3 users
Some deposits have already been returned. Yayyyy!!

The two deans at the schools I'm withdrawing from have been in semi-personal contact, so I'm going a bit more in detail.

Reactions: 3 users
I managed to get one email out today. As soon as I got the reply I had a flash of all the missed opportunities. But then I felt better. Brains are weird.

Reactions: 10 users
It felt weird sending that last withdrawal email but bah gawd it feels good knowing where I'll be spending my next four years.

I guess the heuristics I used OP were cost, location, prestige, home programs, perceived "fit", and job opportunities for my SO.

I've narrowed down my decision to two schools but my mind is constantly weighing the kind of opportunities I would have at each. Leave home for something new, or stick around close to family (and maybe make it easier to match back here)? I'm glad to at least have the choice but I have been constantly thinking about school selection stuff for the last week.

Sent out the other withdrawals and I am also a fan of the succinct email. Too many students are withdrawing that I figure they don't need to read another long winded letter.

Reactions: 1 users
It felt weird sending that last withdrawal email but bah gawd it feels good knowing where I'll be spending my next four years.

I guess the heuristics I used OP were cost, location, prestige, home programs, perceived "fit", and job opportunities for my SO.

Ok, I won't lie - I'm dying to know where you're going to end up!

I managed to get one email out today. As soon as I got the reply I had a flash of all the missed opportunities. But then I felt better. Brains are weird.
I just wrote one email and am lingering over the send button. Decisions are difficult.

(Does decisiveness factor into being a doctor? No? Okay good).

Reactions: 4 users
I just wrote one email and am lingering over the send button. Decisions are difficult.

(Does decisiveness factor into being a doctor? No? Okay good).

I wrote both emails this weekend then held on until I met all matriculation requirements. That happened today around noon. Now I need to proofread and send, but I'm still kind of freaking out. I have no doubts about my decision. I just want to be sure the emails sound okay. Sheesh.

I wrote both emails this weekend then held on until I met all matriculation requirements. That happened today around noon. Now I need to proofread and send, but I'm still kind of freaking out. I have no doubts about my decision. I just want to be sure the emails sound okay. Sheesh.
I think I am living this nightmare where I withdraw from all but one and then that one is like, "psyche we don't want ya" and I have nowhere to go. Because rational thought is also not my strong suit apparently.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I am living this nightmare where I withdraw from all but one and then that one is like, "psyche we don't want ya" and I have nowhere to go. Because rational thought is also not my strong suit apparently.

I'm afraid I'll accidentally withdraw from ALL of my schools then be like, "wait- I didn't mean that!"

We have hit a professional level of neuroticism.

Reactions: 20 users
My current all-consuming fear is that the school I chose will be like "you didn't turn in this form hidden on the corner of our 90-page website so we're rescinding your acceptance"

Reactions: 8 users
Dean Wormer,
Thanks for the opportunity attend Faber College of Medicine. Unfortunately the folks at The University of Oregon made like Tom Cruise and showed me the money.
All the best,
Eric Stratton

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 6 users
Many people may not agree, but I really wish I only had one acceptance, that way the choice would be made. I'm way too fickle for the privilege of multiple acceptances.

Right. If something goes wrong- you'll wonder if it would happen if you chose another school.

As of today, I’m only holding two acceptances. No idea how to decide between them. I’m hearing a lot of “oh, they’re both great, either one is fine!” from my friends, including my doctor friends. That is so far from helpful, I literally cannot even.

Assign schools to heads or tails. Flip a coin. Before the coin lands, you'll know. You'll be wishing it's this or that. I would have someone else in the room and have them pick up the coin and never reveal the result of the coin flip either. That way, you won't have any regret with your decision.

Letters? Hell, I’ve just submitted poorly worded emails saying “reconsideration of fit” yadda yadda.

This next one I’m going to blame my wife.

Letters? Hell, I’ve just submitted poorly worded emails saying “reconsideration of fit” yadda yadda.

This next one I’m going to blame my wife.

Definitely mentioned my husband’s opportunities (which were legit, but still...)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

In reality all you have to say is: Thank you for the opportunity to attend ___________________ School of Medicine. I have decided to attend another school because of finances/ location/ family/ whatever (or say nothing at all).

I kind of like a reason since I can go to my Dean and show her I need more scholarship funds.

Reactions: 12 users
I made my choice based on cost (no merit aid at second choice, plus more expensive to being with) + fit + location (waaaarm). made my last withdrawal this weekend, so at this point I'm officially committed to one acceptance. but now I'm even more stressed about the two schools I'm waitlisted/silently waitlisted at, because it feels like things are becoming so final and I'm losing any hope at those schools (most hope was already lost, but the last dregs are trickling away) while still not wanting to make any official plans to move to the school I'm currently committed to just in case...

Update: have not yet withdrawn anywhere. It is happening today. I swear.

My dad keeps egging on my fears - what if your choice decides to take away your finaid? did you send in everything? can you negotiate more money? COME ON DAD LET ME LIVE.

I'm down to one! My withdrawal email basically said, "Thank you so much for a wonderful interview day and all of your help since. I appreciate the consideration given to my application, but I have chosen to attend X school, which is closer to home and my support network."

It's hard making a decision when you are secretly holding out hope for a WL school. It's hard to know when to mentally move on. It doesn't really feel like a final decision yet.

Reactions: 6 users
Withdrew from 2 yesterday, withdrawing from 1 today, and deciding between the final two over the weekend... baby steps

Is it expected that we name school X or can I just say "another institution"?

For some reason, "fit" is what's stressing me out the most. Interviews and second-look weren't enough for me to feel absolutely sure about fit. Most interviewees I met at my interviews weren't all that pleasant and to an extent I don't blame them. Some people weren't all that personable at second-look either, though! What do you make of this?
Had the same sentiment but lucky only one school stood out for me in terms of my future classmates being personable at second-look. It ended up being the tie breaker between a more prestigious school with less personable people and an excellent school with more personable people. Find your people!

Is it expected that we name school X or can I just say "another institution"?

Another institution. They don’t want to hear a life story from you about how your heart feels about medical school. They just want the info of whether you are attending or not.

Reactions: 4 users
I sent in another one today. Legit cried a little while it sat in my drafts folder.

Your dad just brought up my greatest fear lol

I signed that financial aid/scholarship offer ASAP. Too afraid I’d lose it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My school doesn't have anything to sign, you just get it. I have the emails from FinAid and Admissions to prove it, which I have printed and dated, because neuroticism is inherited.

Also I have officially withdrawn from one school. Two more to go.

My school doesn't have anything to sign, you just get it. I have the emails from FinAid and Admissions to prove it, which I have printed and dated, because neuroticism is inherited.

Also I have officially withdrawn from one school. Two more to go.

Do you not have to accept your awards? Usually you have to accept the loans on some sort of portal and then complete the master promissory note(s) on studentloans.gov

Do you not have to accept your awards? Usually you have to accept the loans on some sort of portal and then complete the master promissory note(s) on studentloans.gov
You would do that once you don't hold multiple acceptances - the school wouldn't issue you your loans before you've agreed to attend. Am I wrong about this?

Update: have not yet withdrawn anywhere. It is happening today. I swear.

My dad keeps egging on my fears - what if your choice decides to take away your finaid? did you send in everything? can you negotiate more money? COME ON DAD LET ME LIVE.
Take away your financial aid? Do you mean they offered you a scholarship? If so, did they give you a deadline? I can't imagine offering a scholarship and then taking out away unless some very specific terms (accept by such and such a date) are not met.

You would do that once you don't hold multiple acceptances - the school wouldn't issue you your loans before you've agreed to attend. Am I wrong about this?

No, I just misunderstood your previous comment. I thought you had committed to the school where you printed out the financial aid.

Take away your financial aid? Do you mean they offered you a scholarship? If so, did they give you a deadline? I can't imagine offering a scholarship and then taking out away unless some very specific terms (accept by such and such a date) are not met.
My dad is just thinking out all worst case scenarios, because he is a dad.

No, I just misunderstood your previous comment. I thought you had committed to the school where you printed out the financial aid.
I will quadruple check with them on Monday, trust me. But I think I am all covered.

Just write "Thank your for the opportunity but I have choose to matriculate at school X therefore I withdraw my acceptance from your institution" No one will care
I'm SO glad someone wrote this. I've got to admit that as I was reading the previous posts from people agonizing over their emails to the schools they are not attending, I couldn't believe I was the only one thinking dude it's med school. Do you really think they are THAT invested in you that they care that much? Your email is probably going to be read by an admin person and reported to the AC. I didn't give it a second of thought. I just wrote "thanks for the opportunity but I will be attending another medical school."

I'm SO glad someone wrote this. I've got to admit that as I was reading the previous posts from people agonizing over their emails to the schools they are not attending, I couldn't believe I was the only one thinking dude it's med school. Do you really think they are THAT invested in you that they care that much? Your email is probably going to be read by an admin person and reported to the AC. I didn't give it a second of thought. I just wrote "thanks for the opportunity but I will be attending another medical school."

I'd say some schools care more than others, especially like in @DBC03's case with the deans being in contact throughout the year. But yeah overall no feelings will be hurt. I got an automated "Sorry to see you go, can you please take this survey telling us why you think we're not good enough" response to a really long and heartfelt email I wrote to a school I withdrew from after being spooked from reading all the anxiety in this thread, which definitely made me see that it's really not that big of a deal lol. They will replace you, not the end of the world.

For schools where you can withdraw online, did you guys also send emails? thanks

Can this be confirmed? The fin aid (loans only) and student health stuff is cranking up my neuroticism, but I don't want to sign anything on the gov't loans website until my withdrawals are finalized everywhere. Also, the student health form at my school of choice is literally: Have you had a contagious skin rash, have you had hepatitis, have you had any health condition ever besides hepatitis or a skin rash. :confused:

Many people may not agree, but I really wish I only had one acceptance, that way the choice would be made. I'm way too fickle for the privilege of multiple acceptances.

+1. I told myself I'd go anywhere for school...so of course I have to choose from everywhere.

Reactions: 8 users
Also my decision-making heuristics: Family support for SO, prospects for my desired specialty (one of the schools has a residency program in it, but not the others), cost, is it pass/fail, do classmates seem personable. Ironically, I thought cost and location would be first before this cycle, but other things just started to seem more important. Whether they will when I'm paying down the additional 50k of debt...yet to be determined