Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

April 7th MCAT bio

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by chalo, Apr 7, 2007.

1. chalo

chalo Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2006
    After reading the "Holy **** that sucked" thread a lot of you commented on how the bio section was difficult, I would like to know what type of questions did they ask on Bio that made the bio section so difficult.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. olemissbabydoc

olemissbabydoc Baby Doctor Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Between "there" and "there"
    MDApps:
    bump

I'm testing next week, and as of right now, bio looks like my weakest link :(

4. killinsound

killinsound Physician 10+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2006
    It wasn't so much that it was ridiculously hard (don't get me wrong, it was hard)... i mean the mol genetics is always going to be mol genetics, but some stuff just seemed they thought "what havent we tested on in about 81273123 years and it has to be something they wont suspect either...... oh that... lets test that"

moral of the story? know everything.

5. Mark84

Mark84 5+ Year Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Exactly some of it was just more or less odd, I can't really give a direct description of it it went by pretty quick but I echo killinsounds comment, know everything.

6. dochoov

dochoov Intercalating Death Disk 2+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Knowing everything is key. And being really smart. Oh, and really really focused, too.

7. Blondnuttyboy

Blondnuttyboy 7+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2007
    What are you guys referring to when you say molecular genetics?

chromosome structure? meiosis/mitosis? inheritance?

also - what other genetics is there other than molecular genetics? lol

someone please give me an example of a topic that was hit on april 7th bio

thanks!

8. killinsound

Aug 30, 2006

another example of genetics would be mendelian genetics.

seriously, just study everything... EVERYTHING.

9. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting.... Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Florida/Fellowship
    Sorry, but you guys can't give examples that are specific. It's ok to post general topics (ex. Mendelian genetics was on the test), but you can't post specific questions. Thanks for your cooperation. :)

10. Portlandguy

Portlandguy 2+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Why? Is it illegal?

11. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie 5+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2007
    College Station, TX
    If you do, the black van comes around to take you away...

12. MDAdam

MDAdam 10+ Year Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Oh dear...

13. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting.... Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Florida/Fellowship
    It violates AAMC copyrights and regulations. They monitor this site, so we have to be very strict about this.

14. Psychotropic

Psychotropic Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I don't know about the rest of you, but my bio section had three passages related to molecular genetics, 2 related to orgo, and 2 biochemistry/metabolism related passages. Sure molecular genetics seems hard, but there is only so much you can study from just reading a stupid book. Most of the answers can be inferred from the passage information. Genearlly 2 answers will always be stupid, leaving you with a 50/50 shot. I'd say my test was similar to bio sections seen in AAMC 9/10.

As for the orgo---> these questions should be easy points for everyone. The questions regard very basic knowledge of mechanisms. Generally, such mechanistic questions can be answered from just passage material alone.

The molecular genetic problems seem hard because the passage information is generally very dense so by the time you get to the problem you might be kind of confused. It helps to just get a main gist of the passage but spend most time actually understanding what exactly the question is asking. Don't be afraid of bio! Be afraid of verbal...

15. poly800rock

poly800rock Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 15, 2006
    exactly true for the august one. the passage was VERY dense and close to impossible to understand, but the questions weren't too bad if you ever had a genetics course. agree with you on orgo, every orgo passage i've seen is almost either always real fundamental 1st semester stuff or carbonyl stuff. i would seriously kill for metabolism questions on the one on thursday...

16. bullishMD

bullishMD Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2006

I completely agree. I also had only 2 orgo passages that were very easy

17. MSTPbound

MSTPbound student Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Well people, either we had different tests, or some of us just freak out when we know that we didn't get EVERY SINGLE QUESTION correct... and we don't know which questions were the experimental ones.

Probably some combination of the three.

(Once again... AAMC responds: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:)

We'll make it guys. Don't worry about it. What is meant to happen shall happen.:)

18. ILPsychDoc

ILPsychDoc 5+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2006
    I don't know about you guys but I'm so scared I'm going to wear a diaper in case I wet myself on Thursday... :eek:

19. Banjo64dd

Banjo64dd Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Jun 2, 2006
    :scared: DUUUUUUUUDE! You guys have put the fear of god into me since I am taking the April 16th exam. I finally got a 30 on the AAMC 8r exam (the highest I have ever gotten) and I thought about taking this last week on cruise control, but all these people talking about how ridiculosly hard the exam was has scared the s**t out of me! I think I am going to go into overdrive this last week. Gonna review everything as many times as possible and take 2 more AAMC tests. Don't you hate it that the AAMC always finds a way to screw you over. They can break almost any student down!

20. spreebee

spreebee Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Well, bust a$$ on molecular genetics and review your orgo..

21. dochoov

Jan 24, 2007
    Are there really experimental questions that they don't score?? Can this be true? It seems like they won't be able to appropriately (fairly?) standardize the test if they did such a thing.

22. KnuxNole

KnuxNole Sweets Addict 10+ Year Member

May 3, 2006
    It seems from several threads that phyisiology was not tested on the Bio section of the MCAT. Is that true, or were there a lot of physio questions in the discrete section.

23. MSTPbound

Oct 1, 2006
    http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/mcatessentials.pdf

From page 4:

"...Each multiple choice section will include some experimental items that do not count toward your score."

24. MSTPbound

Oct 1, 2006
    Oh you can DEFINITELY count on physio... I think (at least in my case) that none of us mention it because this is pretty much a given... and probably considered a source of "easy points." ;)

25. dochoov

Jan 24, 2007
  26. killinsound

Aug 30, 2006
    they should be bonus points :D

27. MSTPbound

Oct 1, 2006
    HOW MANY TIMES do you have to be told that 46T is NOT ALLOWED!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

28. surferdoc

surferdoc SurFeR DoC 2+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2007
    New Jersey
    How many different test forms are there??? Whatever bio section i had def sucked

29. killinsound

Aug 30, 2006

i dont think i did well

30. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012 10+ Year Member

Define "not well"

31. MSTPbound

Oct 1, 2006
    LOL. No problem killin... just promise that the criteria you use for deciding whether to retake is not "did or didn't break 40".

It doesn't sound like you had a bad day, but in the unlikely event that you did, you'll definitely get it the second time around (most likely breaking 40).

And, if you do have to retake, I'll very likely be retaking as well... in fact between the two of us, I'm the more likely to have to retake.

Just let me know so I can make sure I don't pick your day again.;)

32. killinsound

Aug 30, 2006
    my cut off range is 33-34 for retaking... i think if i get a 34 i won't retake. if i get a 33 however, i would strongly consider it because its less than 5 points from the low end of my range and im from california with a so-so GPA.

it's not so much i had a bad day, but i just felt weird during the whole BS section... maybe im getting really paranoid again

33. killinsound

Aug 30, 2006
    not up to par with how i usually perform... i should definitely choose my words more carefully.

34. dochoov

Jan 24, 2007
    I definitely felt really weird about the BS section, too. I think it was the test and question format; the questions just didn't feel right.

35. MSTPbound

Oct 1, 2006
    I know what you mean guys. But I think (and I hope) that there is something to what killinsound mentioned at an earlier time... on the real thing, you're so hypersensitive about not knowing every single answer that it totally f***s with your sense of performance.

If you're the type to obsess over what you missed, and forget what you handled well... like I am... it's next to impossible to arrive at an objective self-assessment of performance.

I'm actually kind of glad for the one-month break - I think if I got my score right after the exam like I did on practice tests, I might have ended up in the ER before making it home.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

36. nelsondb

nelsondb 2+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Can you guys be more specific about molecular genetics? (*you can do this w/o posting specific questions that violate copywrite....)

i.e. - Cell Cycle Checkpoint Mechanisms? Holiday Junctions? Myc or Securin complexes?
    Or lab methods? phototroph, auxotroph, complementation, polymorphic markers?

as you might tell im a molecular biology major, lol. i'm just curious.

37. spreebee

spreebee Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2006
    I didn't take the April MCAT but I would image it's only on DNA/RNA/Protein synthesis and some Mendelian genetics... Maybe a pedigree or so, introns and exons, linkage, etc... Nothing very advanced...

38. booji

booji Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2005
    molecular genetics is basically transcription, translation, gene regulation, etc.

Mendelian Genetics is inheritance patterns, hw equilibrium, traits, etc.

39. PseudomonasPAO1

PseudomonasPAO1 New Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Not sure what all the hype is regarding molecular on the MCAT..You're not going to see anything more complicated than the lac operon (at the intro molecular level, which is fair game). Maybe people are reading too much into the passages, and are trying to visualize/map the regulatory path(s). I guess these passages are popular since they test recollection and make for good logic puzzles. :)

EDIT: After reading over the EK section on the lac operon, I would go further. Do a search for 3000 level type questions. If you had a mutation in one gene, or two genes, how would it affect transcriptional levels, what proteins would accumulate. If the mutation was a frameshift in the first gene, what would be the results for the operon (could you restore functionality of the operon by bringing in an external copy of just that gene). If one gene is overexpressed, what would happen, etc.

40. Symphony101

Symphony101 2+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Yeah, that's exactly the type of person I am. I can list 5 mistakes I made on the test off the top of my head, but other than that, I can't even recall the other passages that went well (maybe there weren't any :eek:)

But then again... Maybe I didn't do as badly as I thought, who knows.

41. endofevangelion

endofevangelion 7+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2006
    I was just wondering... for all of you who took the bio...

were the questions analogous to the ones given by EK, TPR, or Kaplan in terms of difficulty?

42. killinsound

Aug 30, 2006
    i thought all the passages were middle ground between aamc and kaplan