1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

April Finch Interviewees

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BioChemDork, May 3, 2004.

1. BioChemDork

BioChemDork ASA Member
    15+ Year Member

Hey April Finch - I mean, Rosalind Franklin - interviewees, anybody heard back yet? There was supposed to be an Adcom meeting on 4/23, and since it's been a week, the neurotic premed part of me is starting to rear its ugly head. (checking mail 3 times a day, internally debating "should I call?" "shouldn't I call?", you know the drill...)

Oh, and if you heard back, please tell me: 1) when you interviewed, and 2) where you live (so I can do neurotic "If ____ lives in Colorado, and s/he got it today..." calculations - Damn you, inner premed!). Many thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mackaikai

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    call them. They tell you on the phone if you get in or not :)

4. Polar girl

Polar girl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was in the same situation last year. I paced with the phone in my hand for a while, then I finally called them. And I was very happy I called. So just do it. Even if it's not a happy result, you'll know, and there's still plenty of time to get off the waitlist, if that's the result.

5. UCIgrad2002

UCIgrad2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

quick question regarding finch. i spoke w/them about a week ago and the guy on the phone said they're not having a waitlist, meaning that there are a lot of seats left. is this true? or was i just hearing things?

6. BioChemDork

BioChemDork ASA Member
    15+ Year Member

The way I understand it is this: People avoid going to Finch when possible. Though I don't know why... it's not THAT horrible a location, and their academics is a lot better than their rep suggests. But then again, I'm the UCLA nerd who has never gone clubbing and what not... It doesn't matter where you are when you read SDN on a Friday night. Though those creepy ass woods really bothered me while I was driving up from Chicago... all them shady looking trees clustered together, up to no good... *ahem* where was I? Oh yes, people don't like Finch. So for most people, if they get into another med school, they ditch Finch.

I get the impression that Finch goes through like 2.5-3x class size of people (like 300ish) before they finally fill. Rather than having a big ass wait list, what they do is this: Every month (2 weeks?) Ms. Jones et al meets and reviews everyone they've interviewed (which we shall refer to as "big ass pile" from now on). They pick as many candidates from big ass pile as they need to fill class. Then people withdraw as they get accepted/removed from waitlist at other med schools, spots open up, rinse, lather, repeat until school starts in late July. People who aren't in by the time school starts are "rejected".

So in theory, you could refer to "big ass pile" as the waitlist, but since everyone who was interviewed is in it, it's not an accurate description.

7. BioChemDork

BioChemDork ASA Member
    15+ Year Member

Yeah, I know, but the paranoid premed in me says: "What if they misinterpret how much I like their school as desperation? And then they start wondering 'what's wrong with him that makes him so desperate' and then reject my ass?" AAAHHH. It's like calling out a girl to ask her out! High school all over again!

[hyperventilates... passes out in in the back.]

It's really weird though. Patients in full arrest, babies popping out of vaginas, no problem. But when I think about calling a med school, I feel as if my soul is being bared for all to see, and to be judged and weighed by the "all knowing" admissions committees. Damn you, Finch, and the power you wield over my fragile self esteem! [shakes fist in anger]

Gee, I hope nobody from Finch read that, and matches it up with my application. Paranoid schizophrentic? I'm not crazy! I'm really not! :D

Speaking of crazy...

8. franklinthedog

franklinthedog Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I called today, they met last Friday I believe. I interviewed early April. They said I was reviewed and they haven't yet made a decision on me. Hence I am still in the "bigass pile"--man it stinks too! Does anyone know how often they meet? Call them if you interviewed in April, it's not like they're not going to accept you for having called. And it is the rest of your life...Good Luck!!

9. Polar girl

Polar girl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

you never know. Sounding desperate might help. They'd worry less about having you drop them for another school later. ;)

10. ralhtar

ralhtar Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, I've called finch quite a few times since i sent them my secondary, and i've not felt that they were in any way bothered by my call...so don't worry about that....
    i interviewed on march 24th and originally the committee was supposed to meet on april 15ish..but then they delayed it to april 30th...i called them today (may 3rd) and they told me that a decision has been made on my application....
    so if u interviewed in april you should call them and find out...they'll tell u whatever you need to know on the phone...g'luck and don't worry it won't hurt your application....if at all from what they told me it'll help show them your interest in the school...
    if you got more questions let me know...
    cheers
    ralhtar

11. jpeterson99

jpeterson99 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

When you call, do they just tell you flat out if you got in or not?....or do they tell you some other cryptic message when you call regarding your application? I've had weird experiences with those admissions people in some schools.

12. BioChemDork

BioChemDork ASA Member
    15+ Year Member

Student: "Hi, my name is BioChemDork, and I was wondering if you guys reviewed my file yet?"
    Admissions department: "A life altering decision is in your future. Lotto numbers: 6, 18, 25, 28, 33, 34."
    Student: "Huh? But does that mean t--"
    [click. dialtone.]

Sorry, it's what went through my head when I read "weird experiences with admissions people". :D

13. BioChemDork

BioChemDork ASA Member
    15+ Year Member

BioChemDork: [calls Finch - err - Rosalind Franklin]
    Rosalind Franklin admissions lady: ?Admissions.?
    BioChemDork (in one big long breath): ?Hi! My name is BioChemDork. I was interviewed by you guys in April, and I was wondering, since it?s May 5th and what not, and we were told to call if we didn?t hear from you all by May 3rd, if a decision was made concerning my?? (At this point I start running out of breath)
    RF lady: ?Okay, what?s your AMCAS ID #??
    BioChemDork?s internal monologue: ?Oh crap, we need to know that? Who the hell is neurotic enough to have memorized their AMCAS ID #??
    BioChemDork: ?Errm?? [beat]
    RF lady: ?Social Security??
    BioChemDork: ?687-33-6969" (Yeah, like I?m gonna post my real SS # here, for all the identity thieves to see? Y?all are probably gonna take it and open up a line of credit at the local strip bar or something?)
    RF lady: ?Well, the Admissions Committee met last Friday, and we haven?t mailed out the acceptances yet, so I?m not allowed to tell you.?
    BioChemDork?s internal monologue: ?Okay, why the hell did you need my SS # then? Are ya all gonna get together during coffee break, pass around copies of my file, and laugh at how I called in, thinking that I had a remote chance of getting in??
    RF lady: [Sensing impending neurotic anxiety attack with her super Jedi Adcom powers] ?But don?t worry, the news is good.?
    BioChemDork: ?Okaythanksbye.?
    [click]

That?s my story of what happened, and I?m sticking with it. So Polar girl is right; call 'em up! Oh, and I love Rosalind Franklin Admissions Lady. =)

14. jgarlovsky

jgarlovsky JabberJaw
    5+ Year Member

I interviewed in January and I still haven't heard a response from the school. They keep telling me to call back, so I will try again today since I called about 3 weeks ago. If they do not have a waitlist then I think the delay I am experiencing makes some sense.

15. bkmonkey

bkmonkey just monkeyin' around
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just found out on Wednesday that I got in. I interviewed in late April. I don't have any other acceptances, but I still have a couple of post interviews out...

16. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

First off, congrats to you bkmonkey!! You've gotta be feeling good, nice job.

How did you hear this past Wednesday? I ask because I know they (the RF adm committee) met at the end of April but I thought they hadn't met yet for May. Was your acceptance based on their past April meeting or was it a more recent meeting than that? Or do you even know?

Either way, nice work on your part...

17. mackaikai

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    congrat bkmonkey :)

18. bkmonkey

bkmonkey just monkeyin' around
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    franklinthedog-

The letter was dated the 4th of May, postmarked the 7th, and arrived on the 11th. I think I made it in the April committee, but it took a while to get here (I live in California). It feels great to know that I'm in. I don't even care that much about other schools that I get into as much as the fact that I am going to be a doctor! Good luck to you all!

19. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

For anyone who cares, the committee should be meeting this week. Anyone else have any more info? Good luck...

20. hypersting

hypersting Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yup, they actually meet today. Where's the finger crossed emoticon ... Anyway, call on Wednesday to find out, at least thats what I was told to do.

21. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

you the man, or woman....Thanks, something to look forward to!! :cool:

22. hypersting

hypersting Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

No problem, I'm in the same boat. Let us know what the result is ... and its man :)

23. bradwilkins

bradwilkins Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah that's what I was told as well

24. hypersting

hypersting Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

They only made in house acceptances on Monday (AP program, MS, etc). :(

They are at 204 for 185, wait for withdrawls to get more acceptances.

Thats the story.

25. jackts

jackts Member
    7+ Year Member

guys, i was told to phone june 15 or 16th, does that sound right? :confused:

hey sting, is the number you quoted the med acceptance or in house?

thanks guys

26. hypersting

hypersting Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That number was the confirmed number + those accepted last monday. He seemed confident that there would be more withdrawals. When did you interview jackts? Where you told to call then to check up or that a decision would be made?

27. jackts

jackts Member
    7+ Year Member

i just phoned, he told me the class is full and to check back towards the end of the month.

i interviewed april 21.

jack