April/May'07 steps for fall '08 early applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bhavesh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should we be doing if we are interested in APPLYING EARLY for fall 2008?

I figure for April '07 we should be:
-locking down midterms and begin prepping for finals to getting as many A's as possible
-start asking professors and employers for recommendations (tell them you want to apply in June, so it gives them 1-1/2+ months to write it)
-registered for the June '07 PCAT if you haven't taken it, or haven't registered yet
-research, and figure out exactly which schools you want to apply to, request the applications and start thinking about the personal statement

I figure for May '07 we should be:
-finishing our finals
-have ALL the recommendation letters requested
-have friends, family, teachers, and advisers read over your personal statement
-filling out and COMPLETING all the applications
-search out, and schedule any shadowing or summer volunteer work
-plot out a study schedule for the June PCAT (study at least 2 weeks using Kaplan review and all of cliff's practice tests)
-if you can avoid it, don't take a class for summer session I...if you do take one, don't take it at the same time as a full-time job

I'll start a new thread for June, but by then I figure the applications should be submitted, the recommendations will probably start arriving, a volunteer/shadow experience is scheduled, and we're studying for/take the June PCAT.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Do you have any ways you would change this?

I've never applied before, so any and all information about the application process are welcome.

I used this thread as a reference:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=347616

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you know exactly what you're doing. Everything sounds perfect. Just make sure you start your Pharmcas if you're applying to those schools. Just typing in all your grades can be time consuming so get that started asap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although it sounds like a great plan, it's a very idealistic.
If anything, I would say May should mainly focus on studying for finals, and then studying for the PCATs.

Personal statements takes many many drafts (I wrote 8, all of which were different).
So completing applications by the end of May, is like WOW! Not to discourage you of course, but as a reminder...that of May, your focus would be better spent studying for the PCATs. You have plenty of time in June and July to work on your PS and applications. PharmCAS won't be up till June 1st, and supplementals won't be up until the end of June/July anyway.

Good luck!

Awesome plan. Way to be on top of things, even if you fall behind a little you will still be in awesome shape.

Like the above poster mentioned, your Personal Statement could take many drafts or it might just take one draft. Personally I wrote mine a few days before I submitted, had my parents spell check it and sent it off to pharmcas.

Something else you could do, which I think is in eddie's thread, start calling or emailing schools with questions or just to introduce yourself.

Good plan =) I'm applying for fall 08 as well and it's good to start thinking about apps early and how to prepare.

I already started on my PharmCas application and I'm also looking to apply for Fall 08. I already received a one reference letter(eLOR) from one of my professors. Do I need to start another application and have my professor send another LOR after June 1st?

I already started on my PharmCas application and I'm also looking to apply for Fall 08. I already received a one reference letter(eLOR) from one of my professors. Do I need to start another application and have my professor send another LOR after June 1st?

If you are applying for fall 2008, you cannot start your application on pharmcas until june 2007. Pharmcas does not save any of your information when they start a new application process so ypu'll need to send another LOR and fill out any other thing you already put in.

If you are applying for fall 2008, you cannot start your application on pharmcas until june 2007. Pharmcas does not save any of your information when they start a new application process so ypu'll need to send another LOR and fill out any other thing you already put in.

thank you!! finally...clarity..i was soooo confused when people were saying they already filled out their pharmcas applications before the opening date

Nerds! haha just joking, it is awesome that all of you are planning on getting pharmcas done so early! Finish it in June and then enjoy the rest of your summer....