April or August MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissionaryGirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I was planning to take the April MCAT, but now I am seriously toying with the idea of taking the August MCAT for various reasons. Between working part-time, full time grad school and trying to take a MCAT review class and besides eating, sleeping and misc things like that, I am concerned I just won't have the time to put into studying for the MCAT. And I don't want to run the risk of doing poorly on it for that reason.

At the same time, I know what the advantages are to taking the April MCAT. I am concerned that if I take the August MCAT, that will effect my chances of getting in.

Also, I need alot of time to put into studying for the MCAT because it's been so long since I've had gen chem and organic so I really need to get those subjects down. But, I also need to work to pay my bills.

Anyway, any advice you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i did aug mcat and i found it really hurt me this year as far as getting all my interviews rather late and therefore slimming my chances, so i would STRONGLY suggest april. I would do ur best to study and see what you can get in april, then if need be just spend all summer and take it again in august but atleast that way youll give urself a chance to do decently on the april one and allow urself to apply early. good luck

MG,

Would it be possible to reduce your grad school courseload for next semester? That could help a lot for making time to study for the MCAT.

I would also take a review course. Helped me a lot when I studied for the test while working full-time.

Generally, I would say that if it's possible to study and do well, by all means take the April MCAT. That way you can get all your apps out ASAP, and start the game a step ahead.

Finally, to go off-topic, START COLLECTING LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION **NOW**!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you start now, it may take until June before they are complete. Professors tend to be lazy, and you don't want that holding you back. I had my AMCAS and transcripts submitted by the end of June, but it wasn't until the first week of September that my files were complete, due to my rec letters not being submtted earlier.... even though I had asked for them months in advance.... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the August MCAT, and I got pleny of early interviews.
I took the aug MCAT to maximize study time and thus performed better. The key is to submit your AMCAS app as soon as it comes availalble online. And then submit your secondaries as soon as they come in to you. That way once your scores are released, they will go directly to the school and your file will be complete - NO UNNECESSARY WAITING! Do what ever it takes to maximize your MCAT score - as this is as important as everything else you've done.

I agree with ermonty...doing the August MCAT was better for me. I was going to take it last April...but I had WAY too much stuff on my plate. Following the advice about applications is probably a good move too...though not even I did that... :)

but I've gotten a good amount of interviews, so I'm happy with how things have gone.

I'd also agree. I think our pre-med advisors really pushed our class into taking the April, and personally, I know the extra few months for the August made a great deal of difference for me. I have some later interviews, but at the same time, several of my interviews were only maybe a month after some April people. Also, I got two acceptances before winter break even hit, so it doesn't kill your interview chances to do the August, especially if you do well!

Thanks Guys! That feedback really helps alot!

the pre-med committee at my school lists the three biggest risk factors for med school acceptance as:

1) gpa below 3.1 (although this is obviously school-specific)
2) mcat below 28, or any section below 9 (8s sometimes ok)
3) august mcat instead of april

of those who didn't have any, 85% got in on their first try. of those who had one or more, only 40% got in on their first try. so according to their advice, if you can pull a 28 or better in april, your odds might be better to take it early.

in terms of my own personal opinion, i was amazed by how much schools seem to weight the mcat (esp. since it is one day, whereas gpa is four or more years). my gpa is fairly average for the whole applicant pool, so i really think my higher mcat is what got me interviews at top ten schools. if you think you can do 3 or more points better by waiting until august, i'd say it's worth it.

katem

To echo what has been said, if you decide to take the August MCAT, you must commit to having your AMCAS submitted in July and complete all secondaries as they come in. If your application is complete except for your MCAT scores, you will be behind, but not too far behind.

JJNY is right. Get those LORs now. My applications were much later than they should have been because of two stragglers. Don't wait. Ask for them now, unless there is a compelling reason to wait.

Hey there,

(I haven't read any of the other posts, so I apologize in advance if some of what I say is redundant.)

It all basically boils down to when you will apply. If you want to apply in June of the same year as the April/Aug MCAT, then you would be at a serious disadvantage taking the August MCAT. The reason being that you would be juggling studying and taking the MCAT, applying w/ med schools, working, classes, etc. all at the same time. However, if you plan on taking the MCAT the following June, then by all means take the August MCAT. Everything is typically much more relaxed during the summer months. That way while others are freaking out over April MCATs (following your August MCAT), you will be finished and can focus on getting a head start on your primary apps. Secondly, you can take the April MCAT if you goof up on the August MCAT and your application will still not be at a disadvantage.

Hopefully that makes sense. Email me if not. Good luck!

First, I don't know if I completely agree with the guy who has his 3 step req. for better med school acceptance chances- the only valid ones were GPA and MCAT. But I agree with the post that said that if you are sure that you can gain about 3 or more points via hardcore studying then waiting longer is an option. Also I have heard from people to jump on the LOR bandwagon fast and of course the AMCAS one.

More importantly, I don't think that it would matter for the top schools- most of which are not rolling- to take the MCATs in August for they are simply looking for the best scores on the test.

So having said all that I am strongly leaning towards Aug. But I do have a questions about people getting into med schools. I saw the thread here of acceptances of the August people and there were not many Top 10s at all as compared to the April ppl. So is this just because less people take it in Aug. or that these people are still interviewing?????? Anyways, I would love to here people's take on it because I want to feel better about my justification....hahahha:D

It has been good to get feedback on this topic.

I think determining when one takes the MCAT really depends, for me anyway, on whether I will be ready in April or not. If I am not ready at that point in time, then I will just gear up as best as I can for the August MCAT. Then my next plan would be to apply early, get my LORs in early and then cross my fingers, say a prayer, and hope for the best!

We'll see what happens when the time comes.

Also I was wondering if people agree with my assesment of non-rolling schools really not caring about the aug. or april issue. I just wanted to know if my thoughts are correct and get other opinions. Also are the Top ten and mostly non-rolling or not????Thanks guys and keep adding your two cents-- would love to hear any people who have been through the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
In evaluating the pros and cons of when to take the MCAT remember that the test is based on a curve. Most people who take the MCAT in April have less time in preparation than do the people who take the MCAT in Aug. The majority of test-takers are in school and have jobs and have the same limited time to study. It's not like you would be the only one in school and working. You also have to think that the majority of people who take the Aug MCAT have more preparation time. Anyhow, my advice would be to take a prep course. When you take practice exams your score on the test is derived from a curve based on students currently in the prep course all over the nation. Since many students take prep courses, you will have some what of an estimation where you stand. If you aren't where you want to be, don't take the April MCAT. But be careful because you may never feel completely prepared for the MCAT!!!! Good Luck.

I think how much it will hurt you if you take the August MCAT instead of the April MCAT depends on the school.

I received 4 interview invitations before I withdrew all of my applications (accept Mizzou) on November 25. I don''t think it hurt me too much at any of those schools (Mizzou, Penn State, GW, and Indiana). I think at other schools it can hurt you a lot more.

So I would check into the schools you are interested in. See if many people have had success with August MCATs.

At Mizzou, I don't think it hurt me at all. They don't start interviewing until October anyway. I interviewed on November 12 and was accepted on November 20, the first round of acceptances. In fact, I got in before anyone else I know. So my opinion is that it does not hurt you one bit at Mizzou. But some schools seem to interview very few August MCATers. Or at least many of the August MCATers only wind up interviewing for waitlist spots. So, once again check on the schools you are interested in.

If you take the August MCAT, make sure you do your AMCAS early, get your secondaries and letters of rec in early, so when you get your scores in October your application will be complete.

hey myst. stranger are u in my head? I am so the person who cannot ever feel prepared enough. But anyways, I think the August MCAT curve theory is a bit overblown- or so I have been told- because the AMCAS says the curves according to the number of questions is exactly the same. Anyways, get back to me if I am wrong with this assesment and also aren't most of good schools non-rolling? Is there a list somewhere?

ps- I am applying everywhere but just have my heart set- like everyone- on the dream schools:D

The curves are the same as in the percents of students receiving each score don't change per test date but I don't think the raw scores are the same. If they are then it should make no difference when you take the test. This has bugged me though, because AAMC doesn't supply the raw scores that correlate into each MCAT score. I guess it will just be a mystery to me.

missionary girl... that's a great name. i want to be missionary boy. that would be a great name too.

p (missionary boy)

VERY FUNNY LAST POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

i was wondering too why that sn...and my sister said, "man i did not even know that doctors (or pre-meds) had a sense of humor.....but keep it comin MCATers..thanks

ps- i am not out on friday night cuz am waiting for some stupid guests who will not show up quickly nuf!!!AHHHHHHHHHHH...just thought i would share my pain

APRIL = BETTER shot at getting invited to interview!

deez.....but not if you pounce on getting all the LOR and AMCAS stuff taken care of immediately!!!

I am glad you like my name Poloace.

I actually am a missionary. I went on a 2 week missions trip to Ethiopia several years ago which was really eye opening. And someday, I plan to do medical missions overseas so I am a very excited missionary!:D

i still want to hear more views...it can only help....

Originally posted by dr. deez
APRIL = BETTER shot at getting invited to interview!

Higher MCAT also equals getting a better shot at being invited to an interview. It is a balancing act. I got a relatively low MCAT score in April and decided not to retake, though I really felt that I could have done much better. I do have an acceptance, but kind of wish I would have retaken it in August. I think that I would have more options with a higher score.

JBJ, I could not agree more, I have worked so hard to get a great GPA for the past few years. Also I am the kind of person who only gets great grades through immense hard work. Therefore, I think I can get a much higher score in Aug. because I have no other classes.

Also can someone answer why there are barely any "reach" schools who gave interviews in the Aug. thread-- i was a bit surprised since most are non-rolling! Is it beacause the top schools are still giving out interviews to these folks??

I think it also partially depends upon how one prepares for the MCAT. It's been said, this is a different test, not like one you would normally take in your courses. I would say, if you find the best method of preparation that works well for you and you have the time to put into studying over the next few months and you feel prepared to where you can at least break your desirable score, then it may be best to take the April MCAT just because, your chances of getting an interview may be better.

But, then again, if you don't feel prepared and haven't taken enough practice tests then maybe August would be better. I think it's a good idea to at least try to secure as good of a score as possible the first time around and not be in a situation where you would need to retake the exam.

Originally posted by DrMom
August MCAT will not kill your application unless you aren't ready with your applications ASAP &/or you do poorly on it.

Actually I disagree. I took the Aug MCAT and I've been invited to five interviews so far (I've done four). Granted, I haven't been accepted anywhere yet, but I don't think it'll kill your application. I submitted my AMCAS in late September and did most of my secondaries in November.

Originally posted by SistaKaren
Actually I disagree. I took the Aug MCAT and I've been invited to five interviews so far (I've done four). Granted, I haven't been accepted anywhere yet, but I don't think it'll kill your application. I submitted my AMCAS in late September and did most of my secondaries in November.

I don't see why you are disagreeing with me. Your experience supports my statement.

It all depends on when you are ready. I took it April 2001 and didn't do too well. I had one interview last year! This year I took it in Aug. and improved where I needed to improve. I have 7 interviews so far this year, so taking the Aug. MCAT is OK if you get everything in before they get your scores, that way all they have to receive is your scores. If you do poorly on the April exam and would have done well if you had more time to study then that's more detrimental to your application than taking it in Aug. and doing well.;)

You think? But my apps were complete till like November or so....that seems a bit late. Or maybe I was just thinking that you meant that the AMCAS has to be submitted by June and all that jazz.... :)

Nope. In June you need to spend time getting ready for the MCAT itself. I meant that as soon as the test is over, you need to change gears and get everything else in quickly so that its all taken care of when the MCAT scores come in. That way you really don't lose much time.

That said, I did it the other way around. April MCAT, app in mid June, secondary in August, interview in October, acceptance in November. It was nice to have it all settled early, but it certainly doesn't mean that you automatically are going to have problems getting accepted if you take the August MCAT.

November for secondaries is at the mid-late end of things, but still gives plenty of time for interviews.

Good luck!

Can someone answer this question i posted earlier, i was just curious:

"Also can someone answer why there are barely any "reach" schools who gave interviews in the Aug. thread-- i was a bit surprised since most are non-rolling! Is it beacause the top schools are still giving out interviews to these folks??"

Originally posted by MissionaryGirl
I am glad you like my name Poloace.

I actually am a missionary. I went on a 2 week missions trip to Ethiopia several years ago which was really eye opening. And someday, I plan to do medical missions overseas so I am a very excited missionary!:D

See, that wasn't the reason I thought Poloace liked your name. But I guess I have a dirtier mind...

Originally posted by bond007md
Can someone answer this question i posted earlier, i was just curious:

"Also can someone answer why there are barely any "reach" schools who gave interviews in the Aug. thread-- i was a bit surprised since most are non-rolling! Is it beacause the top schools are still giving out interviews to these folks??"

I'm guessing no one is answering because no one really knows for sure. However, I would suggest that that list (the August list) was specifically initiated so that people knew when specific schools were starting to contact Aug people. As I find it hard to believe that no Aug people will get into so called "reach" schools I would think that their absence from the list just suggests that whatever schools your looking for on that list just haven't got around to Aug MCATers yet. Bare in mind that August MCATers, even those with files in early, would have only been complete at the earliest in late-October, along with the glut of other Aug. MCATers. Thats approx 8 weeks ago...and with Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years in between I'm not terribly surprised that not all schools have got to us yet.

However, there are a number of schools Aug MCATers have heard from, all of which I think might be described as 'reach' schools eg - WashU, Pitt, Pritzker, UCSF, Cornell, Columbia, and Yale, to name ones off the top of my head, I am sure there are others. Maybe you are looking for very specific "reach" schools though as all of those would fit my definition? If you mean Harvard and Penn (neither of which appear on the Aug list) - well this thread is April MCATers complaining about them being slow, so its not really that surprising Aug people are still waiting! ;) Does that help?

Your a black female- your advice is useless here on this thread

Originally posted by Ramoray

Dude. That was harsh and unnecessary.

And if you're going to trash someone, learn how when to use "your" and when to use "you're."

Ok the OP is a white female, and it is absurd for a URM to be advising her on what to do based on the fact that a URM was getting a ton of interivews.. i mean who are we trying to kis here plssss if we want to help the OP than you should realize i am not far off base. And yes my spelling sux.. shoot me

boy wonder thanks for breaking down what i was thinking--wow seems encouraging then that taking the Aug MCAT is not really that bad after all. Also I will try my best to be the first person in line to turn the AMCAS and secondaries to the schools...so thanks and good luck!!!!!

Originally posted by Random Access

And if you're going to trash someone, learn how when to use "your" and when to use "you're."

Didn't anyone ever teach you not to begin sentences with "and" :laugh:
(just kidding with you RA - I could care less about it ;) )

I'm an Aug. MCATer and Virginia was a "reach" school for me since I am not a resident of VA. "REACH" schools are different for every applicant.

Originally posted by Ramoray

Wow! Nice. Didn't know that you had to be of a certain race to post advice on general threads...next time I'll be sure to stick to URM threads.

Your point is well-taken, but let's be real: blacks have a 50% acceptance rate to med school...not much different from the general populace. I don't want this to be an AA thread, but I wouldn't go as far to say my advice is useless. Perhaps I should have pointed the OP to the August MCAT interview thread?

Wow! Nice. Didn't know that you had to be of a certain race to post advice on general threads...next time I'll be sure to stick to URM threads.

Don't worry, this kind of post/poster is not worth your time & effort. You can always use the "ignore" function:

click on the person's profile button
a new screen will pop up
at the bottom of the profile it says "add ***** to your ignore list"
click on this and you won't have to read their posts again :)

Your point is well-taken, but let's be real: blacks have a 50% acceptance rate to med school...not much different from the general populace. I don't want this to be an AA thread, but I wouldn't go as far to say my advice is useless. Perhaps I should have pointed the OP to the August MCAT interview thread?

I think that the poster that originally said this was inconsiderate in his approach, however he is probably right. URMs do get special consideration in the admissions process. Personally, I think that this is generally good, however, the experience of a URM should not be considered typical.

Most people on SDN welcome all viewpoints, regardless of whether they agree or not.

bumpin to get more people involved:D

i dont think my last bump went thru...so bumpin again for more people to give input:D