April or August MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gonzo12164

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take the MCAT and apply to med schools next year and wanted to know does it make a big deal if I take the test in April or August? I heard that if I take it in August you have a lower chance of getting interviews. Taking the test earlier means you applications get done earlier. How big of a difference does this make?

Members don't see this ad.

if you feel you can properly prepare during the semester, then take it in april. i think it helps to take it early and get a head start on apps. i took it in august, and i'm not saying i regret it, but i do think that it put me slightly behind. take it when you feel you'll be best prepared, but the earlier the better.

Take it in April. You can also use it as a way of measuring which schools you should apply to and you'll be able to have your application verified early. Early is better.

And if you don't do well, you still have a chance to take it again in August. The whole summer to really focus and get your score up, if you need to.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would definitely advise taking it in april (if you're ready, of course). taking the exam in august hasn't ruined my chances or anything, but it has caused me to fall behind the crowd a bit.

You want to make sure you're score represents how smart you are. If you don't have time to study up, take it in Aug. It isn't that bad for admissions, although I agree that you have to take a shotgun approach when choosing which schools to apply to as you don't know your scores at that time. Make sure you organize LORs over the summer if you go the Aug MCAT route, not doing that is my one regret.

Originally posted by Gonzo12164
I'm going to take the MCAT and apply to med schools next year and wanted to know does it make a big deal if I take the test in April or August? I heard that if I take it in August you have a lower chance of getting interviews. Taking the test earlier means you applications get done earlier. How big of a difference does this make?

If you are applying the year you take the MCAT, take it in April. Med Schools highly recommend that for early processing of your application.

Coops