April or August...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonkst

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know what you guys thought about this...
I'ma sophomore, and really need to do well on MCATs to make up for a weak GPA. I've studied only a nominal amount compared to most people, and really am uncomfortable with the material. At the same time, however, I'm very good at the logic behind the questions, and have managed to pull around a 33 on all my Kaplan practice tests. Now I have to decide if that is good enough, or if I should wait and take the test in August after I have time to learn a lot more of the information.
Whatever advice you have would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the best treatment for your poor GPA is a good junior GPA, much more than the MCAT. That said, a 33 is fine, but you didn't tell us what your GPA is or even what institution you're from.

Well, my GPA now is in the mid 3.3's, and will most definitely be much stronger next year. I do plan on graduating with honors, and that requires a minimum 3.5. I go to a top engineering school. A lot of people tell me to go with the 33 now and get it over, but being a sophomore and knowing I can do better would probably bother me a lot, although it would be nice to be done with all this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you're a sophmore now, I'd say take the August test. In your situation this won't put you behind, and you seem confident you can up your (already good) score with a little more prep. Why not do your best? Take the August test if you feel like you'll be more prepared.

A 33 is a good enough score to match or exceed the average MCAT of most med school matriculants, but you should consider the caliber of school you anticipate attending. If I were in your position and interested primarily in top 20 schools, I would delay taking the test (if you genuinely believe you will study and perform better by waiting until the next test period). That higher MCAT score would help compensate for a lower GPA. If you were a junior, it would be better to take it in April and apply in June, but as a sophmore you only stand to gain by preparing for the August MCAT.

Good Luck!!