April or May MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amph119

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't decide...

My Kaplan course ends in time for me to take the April or May MCAT. My debate is... should I take it in April in hopes to my score ready to submit when June 1st rolls around, or should I take it in May after my finals this semester are over and I can focus solely on the MCAT, thereby having my MCAT score ready around June 10th? I guess I'm totally focused on getting my AMCAS complete on June 1st. Would it be worth it to sacrifice that month?

Any advice/things I'm not thinking about/obvious answers?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't decide...

My Kaplan course ends in time for me to take the April or May MCAT. My debate is... should I take it in April in hopes to my score ready to submit when June 1st rolls around, or should I take it in May after my finals this semester are over and I can focus solely on the MCAT, thereby having my MCAT score ready around June 10th? I guess I'm totally focused on getting my AMCAS complete on June 1st. Would it be worth it to sacrifice that month?

Any advice/things I'm not thinking about/obvious answers?

Well, I'm in your same boat. I ended up registering for the April MCAT so I would have my results in by May and if I needed to retake I could and still have my results in by July. Which is still considered early. If you think you can do really well the first time, do it in May. But, it's really up to you. Good luck!

i am in a different boat since i am taking it for the third and last time so i am planning on retaking it may 31st if needed. i opted for that time so that i could give myself the most time for study and it would still allow me to have my app complete early in the process.

i think it depends on what you plan to do, if you would reatke if your scores were not what you wanted.

if i were in our boat i would honestly wait until after finals...the first time i took the mcat i took it in april and it was really hard to study for the mcat and finals at the same time. that few weeks to just focus on your problem areas will really help you gear up for the test.

Take it when you think you will be most ready. There is not much harm in taking it as late as July as long as you have all the other parts of your app done beforehand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I scheduled mine for April so I can have time to get my scores and, if they are low, have time to reschedule another test day in time for this cycle. I know I shouldn't plan for the worst, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, as my mother has always told me. :)

all of you are talking about being late to apply or sending them in early, i dont seem to get the process. Arent the apps due by oct 1 through AMCAS, or thats the very end deadline? does it mean that if i were to send my stuff to amcas by may, they'd send it all to the med schools and i would already start getting secondaries?

You're right, October is the deadline. However, most med schools have rolling admissions. So, the sooner you turn in your application, the sooner you'll hear from the school. There are A LOT of people who already have their acceptance/rejection by October. So, the sooner you apply the better your chances are. Because if they receive your app. on the first possible day, ALL seats are open.

Hope that made sense. Anyway, good luck to ya!