April or May MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TBT2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT registration opens tomorrow and I am signing up! as soon as it opens (yes, a little neurotic I know!). My question is, I am teetering between taking the April 28 or May 12 test. The April results come out May 30 while the May ones won't come til June 12ish. I am a nontrad with some previous low-gpa baggage (have very strong post-bach GPA, research, volunteering, sports, leadership, etc, etc, etc) however still want to submit my applications asap to better my chances.

So torn between those extra 2 weeks to study or having the score sooner. Know its a fairly ridiculous concern but if its better to get things submitted (including MCAT score) by June 1, I'll skip the 2 extra weeks.

P.S. Not taking it sooner because won't have the time to commit to studying til January and being a non-trad could use the extra study time. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, everyone is going to tell you the same thing. ONLY take the MCAT when you feel ready. Whether that is April 28, May 12, or later in the summer. Most medical schools don't start looking at applications until July anyways and you can always get your AMCAS or AACOMAS done and sent off to get verified on June 1st. It takes about a month (mostly AMCAS) to get verified, so the earlier you get that done the best. However, if you are planning to start studying in January, most study from anywhere between 3-4 months (about 4-5 hours a day, 6-7 days a week). So based off that, either date gives you that 3-4 months of studying. In conclusion, don't worry so much about the release score date. You'd rather have that score be your best possible, then rushing into an MCAT not well prepared. Also either date you pick (april 28 or may 12), the score release date is still considered early in the application cycle. Study hard and get that great MCAT score and you will no doubt get into a medical school.