apts for students in nyc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loomis

Lifetime Student
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
this will probably get moved but just wanted to ask for a friend who is going to be a grad student in nyc this fall.......if you wanted to get a 1br or studio located way uptown (like morningside or inwood) but wanted to go through a broker that won't require a pay stub or some minimum income (as many places do), do you have any suggestions for where to look/contact. i've helped her look at craigslist, etc, but most of those places don't want to rent to students and want documentation via pay stubs,etc. Are there places that take cosigners (like parents, working spouses, etc.) or are student friendly? thanks for any info....especially from the broke nyc student contingent!!!
:)

Loomis

Members don't see this ad.

no legitimate landlord would rent an apartment without pay stubs/proof of income. they are taking a risk by renting to you and need some assurance that you will be able to pay the rent.

most reasonable landlords would allow co-signers, just make a few phone calls.

Hey,

It's really hard to rent in NYC if you don't know a Landlord, if you don't have the proper "qualifications" but it can be done. Most places I looked at required a MINIMUM income of 40K (40x the monthly rent). If you cant afford this, and go through a guaruntor (I dont know how to spell that word) like a parent, this person must make twice that much, at least. I ended up in a situation when I tried to get an apartment because I was making 32 K, and my parents refused to have anything to do with my lease (you have to more than just sign in NYC, if you guaruntee a lease, you have to show your paystubs or tax returns)

I have excellent credit, so I managed to get an apartment by myself, going through a broker. The broker helped because he was able to advocate for me a little.

My friend, who is foreign and has no credit, makes less than me, and is generally in a worse situation, managed to get an apartment through a broker in Austoria.

Just call around to different brokers. Some will brush you aside, some are dishonest, some will tell you you;ll never get an apartment (my uncle was told this) but some of the lower end ones will actually be helpful. Finding an apartment in NYC is always an experience!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

It's really hard to rent in NYC if you don't know a Landlord, if you don't have the proper "qualifications" but it can be done. Most places I looked at required a MINIMUM income of 40K (40x the monthly rent). If you cant afford this, and go through a guaruntor (I dont know how to spell that word) like a parent, this person must make twice that much, at least. I ended up in a situation when I tried to get an apartment because I was making 32 K, and my parents refused to have anything to do with my lease (you have to more than just sign in NYC, if you guaruntee a lease, you have to show your paystubs or tax returns)

I have excellent credit, so I managed to get an apartment by myself, going through a broker. The broker helped because he was able to advocate for me a little.

My friend, who is foreign and has no credit, makes less than me, and is generally in a worse situation, managed to get an apartment through a broker in Austoria.

Just call around to different brokers. Some will brush you aside, some are dishonest, some will tell you you;ll never get an apartment (my uncle was told this) but some of the lower end ones will actually be helpful. Finding an apartment in NYC is always an experience!

I would actually say stay away from brokers. They are really expensive and actually do little for you (at least not enough to earn the 13% of a year's rent or whatever they are charging these days). Also they often won't talk to you unless you have all that documentation as well. It's a little easier out in Brooklyn and Queens to find an affordable place sans broker (if the commute is reasonable).

Has your friend tried looking for a place to share? There are many places where people advertise looking for roommates. It's almost not worth living alone in NYC anyway, most people just can't afford it. Also there might be sublets available that are a little more lax with the qualifications. How about listings through the grad school?