Aqua & Barin question about MCPHU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lily2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if you would mind me asking when you interviewed there and when you heard from them?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

The post wasn't a shout out for me, but oh well :) I interviewed at MCP on 10/8 and received my acceptance from them 11/9. It was dated 11/5. Good luck :)

Thank you Dr. Kermit, I'm glad you replied. I guess I shouldn't haven't limited the subject to just Aqua and Barin--I saw that they had posted acceptances from MCPHU recently so being an early Dec. interviewee I was wondering if the school was starting to notify Dec. pple. :)

Anybody out there interview in Dec and heard back from MCP yet?...

Members don't see this ad :)
Lily-

My friend interviewed at MCP on 12/13, I'll post any details if she hears good news.

Good luck :)

hi--i interviewed with Dr. Kermit on 10/8, and received acceptance on 10/23. I imagine that timeline has slowed down a LOT though, I think I interviewed in the 2nd week and they didn't have a backlog of paperwork, etc. Anyway, good luck!

Interviewed on 10/22/2001, acceptance letter dated 01/07/2002, hope it helps.

Wow Barin it really took that long? Lily when did you interview? I was there Dec. 11th and I was hoping to hear soon. Didn't they say you could call after 6 weeks? --S

yep, I called after 6 weeks, they said chill out and wait. My premed adviser actually thinks MCPHU is the slowest one!

i interviewed at mcphu on dec. 10th and haven't heard anything. i talked to someone in the admissions office last week about a different matter, but she told me that my file had not gone to committee yet. i remember at the interview that they didn't recommend for us to call before the end of january. if you were there the next day i would imagine that the same timeline applies. seeing that i've only had two interviews so far, and the first one resulted in a spot on the waitlist, i am eagerly anticipating a response from mcphu. good luck everyone...

Hey peeps waiting to hear from MCP :)

I don't know if you remember Lisa Cifelli explaining the application process at MCP. After your two interviews, the student and faculty member both write reviews about your time with them. They then give these to another admissions member who reads your file and the two interview reviews and writes a "blind" review. When the admissions committee meets (every Thursday I believe), one of the above three will present you to the committee and they will vote whether to accept, waitlist or reject you. All decisions are by majority rules. So, if they say you haven't gone to committee, it just means that the paperwork is still in process!

Aqua, does that sound right to you?

Good luck all. If everything goes well this week, I'll be withdrawing from Hahnemann, so I'll keep you posted :)

Hey all! I just got back into town and hence finally have Internet access again. Looks like I have a lot of posts to catch up on!

Thanks for letting me know that MCPHU is slow. I was thinking that since it's getting towards the end of the 6-8 wks they told me that I must have been wierder at my interview than I thought. :p

Serpiente-I interviewed on Dec 3rd.

I haven't called yet, but I will after 8 wks.

Thanks again everybody!!

Someone on interview feedback posted that they were accepted a few days ago and had interviewed on Dec.1st. Let's hope the rest of us hear soon too!

serpiente:

where did you see that post on interviewfeedback? i just went through all the recent posts and saw nothing like what you mentioned. the only post i saw was somebody who interviewed sometime in december (he/she didn't give the day) and was recently waitlisted.

either way, since my interview was on the 10th, i suppose my fate will be decided within the next week to 10 days. i don't know whether to be excited or nervous.

good luck to everyone who is waiting for good news from mcphu!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
SSD, my mistake. The post I saw (Jan. 19th, 2002) was the same one you mentioned. I read it last night and I didn't remember much about it excpet that someone who interviewed in Dec. received a decision (you're right it was a waitlist not acceptance), which I thought was relevant info to share with others, but guess I should have gotten my facts straight first. Anyway I also thought that 12/01 meant Dec. 1st, but you're probably right that the person just didn't specify a date in December. Regardless, I think it means that Dec. interviewees are receiving mail in some form, which is all I am concerned about.

you are right serpiente... be prepared for something in the mailbox as early as this week. and if lily2 calls the admissions office (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), then we might get an even better idea of when we can expect to hear.

You guys are too funny! You got me all riled up now too. I'll definetely let y'all know what's up when I call them (probably not till end of this wk) or if I hear any news. But the thing is the pple in the Office know me by name b/c I emailed so much pre-interview (they said hi to me on my interview day), so maybe I should hold off till wk 9 or 10. Yes, the word chicken is familiar to me. :D

I'm in the same boat as all of ya, interviewed Dec 3 and still no word.
Lily2, please just disguise your voice and call them. ;)

Ok guys I bit the bullet and called admissions. I asked very politely if a decision had been made on my app, as it had been 6 weeks since my interview. The secretary asked for my SSN and she found out that I have NOT "gone to committee yet, but maybe next week or the week after." I would encourage others to call too-- I wasn't yelled at or anything and all you have to do is give them your SSN #, and they look up your file on the computer. BTW I interviewed on Dec. 11th. sigh. Anyway I have a feeling that everyone doesn't go to committee exactly in order-- some readers and interviewers may take longer than others-- so there still may be hope for others to hear this week. I hope you do! I feel so much better just knowing that I can relax for a week or two and not check the mail like a fiend. Well, I'm still waiting on UMass too....

i emailed lisa cifelli today to try to gauge how long until my file was to go to committee. here is the response that i got from her about 2 minutes ago:

Dear Scott, It will probably be about another month. We are very behind with the process.

Sincerely,
Lisa Cifelli

buckle up folks, this could take awhile....

I called the admissions office today and was told my app had not yet gone to the committee (I interviewed Dec 3). I was too chicken to ask how much longer. Thank you SSD for having that courage!

Serpiente, ssd and barb-you guys/gals are brave! Thank you for asking them. But 1 month!!! WTH (I try to reserve swear words for AMCAS and the like) ARRHHHH. That makes me so mad! Yeah, it's just a decision that will decide what I'll do w/ the rest of my life, that's all. Sorry, I'm quite upset. :(

i was quite surprised as well, to say the least. i got an email from my student interviewer yesterday telling me that he went in to talk to lisa on my behalf. he said that i should hear in about 5 weeks. i figured that he was either lying about talking to her, or he just pulled the 5 week figure out of his ass. looks like he was telling the truth afterall...

as for the courage to ask questions, i went through this game last year playing 'possum and assuming that some school would accept me. look where that got me. i'm not too interested in repeating this mess for a third time so i figured that i better take a more active approach this time around.

i'm rooting for all of you folks that are playing the waiting game with me. we shall prevail!!

SSD, that bites. Whoever I spoke to that said another 2 weeks obviously doesn't have a clue. I was too chicken to ask for Lisa, and 2 weeks sounded pretty nice. I have a bunch of interviews next month and I really can't afford to go to them. My boss will fire me and I'll be out on the street. What are you guys doing? Keep interviewing until you hear from Hahnemann? Unfortunately it seems like that will be a really long time. SSD did you ask your student interviewer to talk to Lisa or did he just do it? That's pretty cool of him/her. Mine gave me his email (if I had any questions) but "Will you please beg Lisa to bring my app to the committee," seems a little out of line :)

Hi all, i interviewed on nov 22nd or something like that. i've been running to my mailbox everyday for the past week, but didn't get anything. i finally gave them a call yesterday and the person i talked to said i would be happy about what's in the mail :) woohoo. but i think she was doing me a favor by telling me. but it doesn't hurt to call :) good luck!

wow, congrats mitgeek. are you seriously thinking about attending mcphu?

serpiente: i'm in the same boat as you. i have a couple of interviews next month that i would have loved to cancel had mcphu sent me some good news. i'm not worried about missing work since everyone here is very supportive of my ambitions, but my financial situation is looking quite meager right now. If you are thinking about calling the admissions office, i would definitely recommend asking to talk to lisa directly. she is incredibly nice and seems to be very frank about the entire process. i would probably wait until the full 8 weeks have passed though. i went ahead and contacted her only because my student interviewer told me that she would recognize my name. i just wanted to reinforce my name in her head. i actually did ask my student interviewer to go talk to her for me. we hit it off very well during the interview over lunch, and he genuinely encouraged me to email him. i straight out asked him to talk to lisa as well as my faculty interviewer, as long as he felt comfortable about it. i can honestly see myself becoming good friends with the guy if i do end up going to school there (fingers double-crossed).

Hey guys! All the info you found out makes sense and fits into the big pict of what I found out today... The scoop: I emailed Ms. Cifelli and she replied that I have not gone to committee and it will be another 3 wks. But that's just to get to committee. It'll probably be another 2 wks after that to get the we like you/not letter.

Since I interviewed Dec 3rd, what Barb (she interviewed on Dec 3rd too) found out is right (that we haven't gone to committee), and what ssd found out is right (since you interviewed on Dec 10/11th it'll take your file another 5wks).

Ok now my rant: AAAARRRRGGGHHHH. Whatever happened to you'll hear in 6-8 wks?!!! I thought the pt of a 2 wk leeway (sp) in that statement was enough, but noooo, now it's going to take 12wks! What is this NYMC?!! For goodness sakes I interviewed 2 months ago and I still haven't even reached the committee yet?!! Sorry, for my diatribe. :(

Hey- anyone who did interview at MCPHU-- did you interview with Dr. Parrish? What did he say about your file?

I inteviewed w/Dr. Parrish on Dec. 11th. He only asked me one trivial question and then proceeded to answer my questions for the remainder of the interview. He said that I was sure to be accepted to many schools (yeah right, haven't gotten into one yet) but he didn't say "you will defintely get into MCP", etc. I hate it when that happens! Anyway they are really really behind, as you can tell from what others have posted on this thread. I haven't heard anything and I guess I probably won't till March. But when I do, I'll let ya know. PS. I noticed on interview feedback that others who had Dr. Parrish also got the same spiel. So I'm not sure if I'm really competitive for MCP, or that is just Dr. P's interviewing style. Hope this helps.

Hi! Thanks for posting... I am one of the psychos on interviewfeedback that is asking everyone about his interview because I read two other posts talking about it. For me he was like "You'll get in at this and this school in PA (in-state for me) and I hope you will strongly consider MCPHU when you are scratching your head deciding where to go yada yada" (of course I am not swimming in acceptances yet...) So I was on a bit of a high, but now I am nervous about it. Did you like MCPHU when there?

Hey- on interviewfeedback I just noticed "i have no doubt that his remarks were genuine. Dr. Parrish is one of the best faculty members we have. I wished I had him for my interview." So to everyone (and myself!!) that got good feedback from your interviewer-- have faith!

I did like it. I was a little concerned about the lack of reserach opportunities though, becasue that is really important to me. When the Dean gave his speech, someone asked about research opportunites and he said "Med students shouldn't do it, it's a waste of time." Other than that (and the tuition) I liked the school, Philly, and the students I met there were all very nice and down to earth. I'm not sure if I'd definitely go there, it depends on where else I get in (if I get in there or anywhere!). I'm definitely considering it though. Just wish I'd hear soon. why do they say 6-8 weeks when it's more like 6-8 months!! And what's up with Dr. Parrish? I thought he was being sincere, I sure hope so.... Anyway we are all dying to hear something so post the news when you get it.

Yeah, I defintely liked the school. I am involved in research now, and I do enjoy that-- but I asked on my tour and Lisa said that most students, if they do it, do research during the summers w/ a fellowship. Which is good-- definitely something to strengthen our residency apps, right?

I think Dr. Parrish was being sincere (based on what others keep telling me) but I just keep second guessing everything. I'll probably do that until I hear (which is supposed to be March 25th!!!!!!!) As for you guys-- something I thought about (my friend hasn't heard and her interview was pre-Thanksgiving) is the hold up from the holidays. I'm sure the school shuts down for a bit and so that just adds more wait time!

Hey everyone, have you heard anything? I emailed Lisa and supposedly my file went to review yesterday (int 12/11). A decision will be mailed to me Monday. Yikes! Anyway I'm thinking it's bad news--why wouldn't she tell me if I had been accepted? I really thought I had a chance there--what the heck? What do y'all think?

serpiente and others-

from my recollection of calling their office, they look you up on a computer and your status (A,W,R) is not indicated. it only says if you've gone to committee and when a letter will be sent.

good luck-
dk

Serpiente--I still haven't heard from them. I posted a message on this thread about my communications w/ Lisa on Jan 28th or so. I'm surprised you'll be hearing so quickly b/c she told me that it'd be a while more till my file was reviewed (int 12/3). But hey if they're catching up w/ their backlog then all the better. Let us know when you hear from them.

When did you email Lisa and how did you phrase your question? Thank you. :)

I got notification of being waitlisted today. I interviewed Dec 3. I don't know how to feel about it. I'm disappointed I didn't get accepted, but I guess I should just be thankful that I'm not out of the running yet.

Lily--sorry I've been off interviewing the last two days so I didn't have time to answer. I wrote to Lisa last Monday and I told her that it had been 8 weeks since my interview and I was wondering approximately how much longer it would take to hear a decision. She wrote back saying that my file would go to committee on Thurs and that I could email her then to see if a decision was made (although she didn't say she would tell me what the decision was). I emailed her on Thursday and she just said a letter would be mailed (gulp) on Monday. Anyway they might not be doing things exactly in order--it might depend on how fast your interviewers/reviewers are. Also maybe they caught up faster than Lisa originally thought, so maybe there will be a letter mailed to you today also! Just call the office, they should be able to tell you.

Yeah, what you said about interviewers turning in their files makes sense (Barb interviewed on the same day as me and heard from them a few days ago). I wish my person would've turned in their stuff earlier b/c I feel like every day that goes by the number of open seats in a class shrinks a bit more (it's to the point where it's so vivid in my mind I can visually see the open seats disappear) and it'll come to that point when applicants will be automatically relegated to the waitlist b/c the class is full (that's what has been happening to me at every school).

Serpiente and ssd--Congratulations!! It's gotta feel good to have it out of the way!

I got a waitlist letter from them; I'm really sad. :( If I had a dollar for each waitlist that I've gotten I could probably pay for the cost of my txtbks this semester...

Lily2: I know how you feel about the abyss that are waitlists. I am also waitlisted at MCPH. But keep your chin! I know it will happen for you!!

lily:

congratulations aren't quite in order for me yet. the secretary gave me a big hint that i would be pleased with the contents of the letter that is to be sent out next week, but by no means do i have an acceptance in my hand yet. serpiente, however, is fully deserving of the utmost congratulations.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us here that are eager for an acceptance from mcphu.

Lily,
I totally hear you about the wait-list thing--it sucks. I was waitlisted at three schools (all of which I though I could get into) snd hadn't heard from all the rest. I was really starting to get depressed about it, but then all of a sudden I got my first acceptance and everything was okay. Don't give up hope--it can happen when you least expect it. Especially don't give up on MCPHU-- waitlists are made so people can wait...but eventually get in! I hope that everything works out for you, and that the wait is not too agonizing. We're all pulling for you! We've been there.