SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Arab-Americans /Middle eastern American's and applying to dental school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DesiDentist, Sep 17, 2001.

1. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Jul 21, 2001
    Washington, DC
    SDN Exhibitor
    After last week's tragedies we have seen the best in people and the worst in people. I was wondering if you guys think that the attitudes against arab-americans/middle easterners will influence the selection procedure in health care environment. I know this might be a tough question to answer, but I believe anyone who is from that background/or physical appearance is definatley worried. I would like to have some thoughts about this issue since I know that I am not the only one pondering about this. Best regards, and God Bless.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 1, 2000
    I believe America is much less xenophobic that it was during WWII when we opted to intern Japanese-Americans. I also believe that irrational fear of others tends to run in reverse proportion to ones level of formal education. I would not worry.
  4. Amalgam Man

Amalgam Man Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 26, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    When it comes to racism like this I am pretty amazed how stupid people are. I already have heard from a Pakistani (not afghaistan) friend who's family has been targeted because they look middle eastern. It happened during WW2 with the Japanese, during the Gulf War and now with these terrorists.
  5. waiting

waiting Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001

I am also of Middle Eastern background (Persian)and, obviously, can only speak for myself when I say I am not worried at all about such potential bias....I've got my first interview in a couple days at Tufts and have actually had various friends asking me whether I'm worreid about having to deal w/my background. I can say that I'm currently working in a medical setting (Duke hospital) and have encountered nothing but support from fellow colleagues who've been expressing their concern regarding the various "incidents" we've all been hearing that have targeted those of Arabic/M.Eastern/Indian background. Of course, I'm not naive enough to think that just b/c someone has an MD/DMD or whatever that they're neccess. and inherently going to be open-minded and rational, for I know that is not the case. However, I know that I shouldn't allow any of these thoughts to affect the confidence with which I present myself at interviews. I.E., I'm not going to go there with "what ifs" lurking in my conscience regarding what the interviewer may be thinking about me. I'm sure that conversations regarding the tragedy will come up (irregardless of one's background) and I'm actually looking forward to the chance to discuss my opinion on how such groups do not reflect the opinions and attitudes of 99.9% of all Arab/Persian - Americans living in this country and express my sorrow over all that has happened. If the interviewer is still going to remain narrow-minded and biased towards me regardless of what I say, then I'm not sure if that'd be a school I would want to attend anyway.

well, that's my 2 cents.....!