Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Are A+'s worth shooting for? (since on AMCAS A+=A=4.0?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rams1986, Dec 20, 2005.

1. rams1986

rams1986 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I was just wondering what the deal was with GPA- particularily in regards to A+ grades; I noticed that the AMCAS converts A+s to 4.0s (presumably because not all school hand out such grades), so does this mean that one should not bother striving for A+ grades? Do med schools just see the AMCAS, or do they see a transcript mailed from your university (in which case the A+ would appear). Generally what is the deal with all this?

Sorry for the massively toolish question, but I'm curious.

2. rcd

rcd .2K Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I asked this question about a year ago, consensus was that there wasn't any difference between A+'s and A's med-school-ap wise.

3. crys20

crys20 make it happen!
    5+ Year Member

nah i don't think much noticeable difference even if on amcas an A+ were to show up which i am unsure but don't think it does...really not worth it, although always good to shoot for the highest grade possible i guess :)

4. argonana

argonana SDN Donor
    10+ Year Member

A+s do show up (just not under the AMCAS conversion column). so yeah, if you get them, med schools will definitely see. i don't know if they care, but you should always strive to do your best imo....

edit: lol yeah, this is def a toolish thread, but it's actually technically a good question that we can respond to accurately...

5. SeventhSon

SeventhSon SIMMER DOWN
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MD/PhD Student
    at an interview i've had an interviewer comment on my A+'s. She said it was (among many other things of course) important to show you could go above and beyond the requirements for the course, at least a couple of times.

6. crys20

crys20 make it happen!
    5+ Year Member

all right, so consensus is always shoot for them but don't kill yourself or go crazy over it since it doesn't touch the GPA.

7. crys20

crys20 make it happen!
    5+ Year Member

very toolish question, agreed, btw ;) ;)

8. kimmcauliffe

kimmcauliffe Surfer Chum
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You're not a tool. Just an overachiever. Which, by the way, makes me want you to be my doc someday.

Cheers!

9. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    99 means you studied atleast 6 points worth too much.

10. Chinorean

Chinorean Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Colleges give out A+'s? :confused: Which one do you go to?

11. Zoom-Zoom

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Eww only wussie schools give out A+'s! Do they give out smiley faces and stars too? :smuggrin:

Sorry I couldn't resist. I really don't think there is a difference. Since many schools don't give A+'s it would be kind of unfair to favor them, although they would definitely look good if you had a lot. To be honest, If you're in the position to worry about the difference between an A and an A+ then you probably don't have to worry too much about med schools either. I wish I was worried about that....actually...no I don't :rolleyes: I would take that extra time you would spend studying and put it into some EC's, go feed some homeless people or make some friends or something

12. Severus

Severus FTSM!
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've never studied extra hours to get an A+. If you just go about your normal routine, and study enough to understand the material, sometimes you just get lucky. It's really not a matter of missing out on friends and volunteer work just to scrounge up some pretty useless +'s.

13. crys20

crys20 make it happen!
    5+ Year Member

lol i love the comment that 99 means you studied 6 points too hard. better to go spend that time doing something fun, or cool, etc because i tell you cool, legit ECs really do help, probably much more than A+s when push comes to shove.

14. Dr.Erin2B

Dr.Erin2B Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My institution doesn't give A+'s. Tell me this:

Do A+ = >4.0 at your school?
    I understand that A+=4.0 for amcas

15. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    my postbacc school gives pluses and minuses, but the highest grade is an A, not an A+. however, at my law school, the highest grade was an A+, and it was worth 4.3 points. i was sort of bummed that i couldn't count those toward my amcas graduate gpa because my gpa dropped about a point.

to the op, i wouldn't specifically try to get A+s, but if you try your hardest, you'll probably pick up a few.

16. _ian

_ian Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

My school gives A+ grades, but they are also worth 4.0.

17. C.P. Jones

C.P. Jones Catface Majigger
    7+ Year Member

yea, i'm with these normal schools that give A's and have no A+'s.....so if these adcoms know anything, they would notice that one person who has a bunch of A+'s shouldn't be looked at more highly than one w/ all A's since they may be the same......anyway, that's what a GPA is for