Are A+'s worth shooting for? (since on AMCAS A+=A=4.0?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rams1986

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the deal was with GPA- particularily in regards to A+ grades; I noticed that the AMCAS converts A+s to 4.0s (presumably because not all school hand out such grades), so does this mean that one should not bother striving for A+ grades? Do med schools just see the AMCAS, or do they see a transcript mailed from your university (in which case the A+ would appear). Generally what is the deal with all this?

Sorry for the massively toolish question, but I'm curious.

Members don't see this ad.

rams1986 said:
I was just wondering what the deal was with GPA- particularily in regards to A+ grades; I noticed that the AMCAS converts A+s to 4.0s (presumably because not all school hand out such grades), so does this mean that one should not bother striving for A+ grades? Do med schools just see the AMCAS, or do they see a transcript mailed from your university (in which case the A+ would appear). Generally what is the deal with all this?

I asked this question about a year ago, consensus was that there wasn't any difference between A+'s and A's med-school-ap wise.

nah i don't think much noticeable difference even if on amcas an A+ were to show up which i am unsure but don't think it does...really not worth it, although always good to shoot for the highest grade possible i guess :)

Members don't see this ad :)
crys20 said:
nah i don't think much noticeable difference even if on amcas an A+ were to show up which i am unsure but don't think it does...really not worth it, although always good to shoot for the highest grade possible i guess :)

A+s do show up (just not under the AMCAS conversion column). so yeah, if you get them, med schools will definitely see. i don't know if they care, but you should always strive to do your best imo....

edit: lol yeah, this is def a toolish thread, but it's actually technically a good question that we can respond to accurately...

rams1986 said:

at an interview i've had an interviewer comment on my A+'s. She said it was (among many other things of course) important to show you could go above and beyond the requirements for the course, at least a couple of times.

all right, so consensus is always shoot for them but don't kill yourself or go crazy over it since it doesn't touch the GPA.

very toolish question, agreed, btw ;) ;)

You're not a tool. Just an overachiever. Which, by the way, makes me want you to be my doc someday.

Cheers!

BrettBatchelor said:
99 means you studied atleast 6 points worth too much.

Colleges give out A+'s? :confused: Which one do you go to?

rams1986 said:

Eww only wussie schools give out A+'s! Do they give out smiley faces and stars too? :smuggrin:

Sorry I couldn't resist. I really don't think there is a difference. Since many schools don't give A+'s it would be kind of unfair to favor them, although they would definitely look good if you had a lot. To be honest, If you're in the position to worry about the difference between an A and an A+ then you probably don't have to worry too much about med schools either. I wish I was worried about that....actually...no I don't :rolleyes: I would take that extra time you would spend studying and put it into some EC's, go feed some homeless people or make some friends or something

Zoom-Zoom said:
I would take that extra time you would spend studying and put it into some EC's, go feed some homeless people or make some friends or something

I've never studied extra hours to get an A+. If you just go about your normal routine, and study enough to understand the material, sometimes you just get lucky. It's really not a matter of missing out on friends and volunteer work just to scrounge up some pretty useless +'s.

lol i love the comment that 99 means you studied 6 points too hard. better to go spend that time doing something fun, or cool, etc because i tell you cool, legit ECs really do help, probably much more than A+s when push comes to shove.

My institution doesn't give A+'s. Tell me this:

Do A+ = >4.0 at your school?
I understand that A+=4.0 for amcas

Dr.Erin2B said:
My institution doesn't give A+'s. Tell me this:

Do A+ = >4.0 at your school?
I understand that A+=4.0 for amcas

my postbacc school gives pluses and minuses, but the highest grade is an A, not an A+. however, at my law school, the highest grade was an A+, and it was worth 4.3 points. i was sort of bummed that i couldn't count those toward my amcas graduate gpa because my gpa dropped about a point.

to the op, i wouldn't specifically try to get A+s, but if you try your hardest, you'll probably pick up a few.

My school gives A+ grades, but they are also worth 4.0.

yea, i'm with these normal schools that give A's and have no A+'s.....so if these adcoms know anything, they would notice that one person who has a bunch of A+'s shouldn't be looked at more highly than one w/ all A's since they may be the same......anyway, that's what a GPA is for