MSW Are Accredited Online MSW programs MORE DIFFICULT than brick and mortar programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nlv0821

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
After doing some searching on the internet I have not found any info on the differences in curriculum or structure between accredited online MSW programs and traditional brick and mortar MSW programs. Or anything about what makes them different.
I'm thinking I of attending a two year state school MSW program in California (my home state) next year and was wondering if I should apply to an online program or in class program.

The reasons I'd prefer online is:
1. My husband works and is in school in our current hometown.
2. It would allow for a full time job.
3. I would not like to any of the cities or areas all of the current schools are located, I like my location.
4. I hate moving. I have moved four times in the last two years and don't want to keep moving. I hate LA and hot weather.

Reasons for brick and mortar:
1. I have always preferred being in class to online.
2. I like knowing my cohort.
3. I enjoy listening to lectures from a real person.

Will an online MSW mean more online discussion posting, less textbooks, more online reading, more something?
Will B&M programs mean more textbooks, more guidance, more application?

Anyone go to an online MSW programs or have gone to both a brick and mortar or a hybrid program?
Any info on how they differ and which is more demanding would be helpful
. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize for not being able to respond at length. The curriculum will be the same. If a brick and mortar program has a online program, it should mirror it. The rigor and intensity should not differ between the two. I would imagine that the discussion posts would be significant if the program doesn't have "live" class sessions. If there are "live" class sessions you will be heating a lecture from a "real person". I don't see the reading requirements being any different than a brick and mortar class.

The field practicum piece is an entirely different beast when it comes to comparing online programs to their brick and mortar counterparts. It is my understanding that some students are required to secure their own field placements from online programs.

I am not sure what you mean by online reading. At my brick and mortar program we have readings from textbooks, online course reserves, and books on reserve at the library.

Again, I apologize for my haphazard response. I saw your post yesterday and wanted to respond then but was hoping somebody would be able to speak to an online program. There is a FB group for MSW students. It's called Social Work Students Official NASW Group, it's an open group so you can look through past posts. Your questions are routinely asked there and on other popular forums on the Internet. I feel like one was asked here a while back. I will look for it and add the link on here a little later