Are Air Force Residencies Any Good??????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bafanculo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering doing HPSP with the Air Force, but when I looked that their are only two major Air Force hospitals I got a little discouraged...does any one know if these residencies are any good?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a pre or medical student?

?? I hope so, cuz I'm going to do USUHS AF! Which 2 hospitals?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the hospitals that the Air Force can make you do residencies at have like 20-30 beds...that is ridiculous...so before i committ to anything i need to know more about the quality of these programs.

I too was interested in the Air Force HPSP scholarship, but when I was accepted to the USUHS (Army), I withdrew from the Air Force HPSP. The Army has more specialties to choose from and also has more positions available. I have read that there are fewer opportunities in the Air Force for ER doctors and surgeons, however, probably the best source would be for you to have the recruiter or someone else get you in touch with a military physician who is in the Air Force, they would be the best ones to give you the details.

Also, if you type in HPSP in a search in the main SDN forum, you should get quite a few hits where the scholarship is discussed, and I remember reading a few who talked about the Air Force.

If you are more interested in the quality of life, then I think the Air Force is better in that regard. Whatever you decide, I think the HPSP is a great deal and I would take 4 years of payback as a military physician in trade for a full ride, plus $1000 a month any day.